Page 1 of 1

GUM DISEASE & NOSE ODOR

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:04 pm
by trenski
Does anyone know if gum disease causes nasal odor? I have really bad gum disease and wanted to know if it is linked or causing the odor in my nose. I also have chronic BB. Thanks.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:48 pm
by halitosisux
It probably depends on the level of disease and the types of gases being produced and their concentrations.

Generally speaking, if the odour really travels and lingers in the air from the odours coming from your mouth then any of this gas that passes into your throat and out through the nose will also travel and linger in the air. But if odours from the mouth are only detectable from close range then they probably wont be strong enough to come out through the nose.

Gases from your mouth might also condense inside your nasal passages/sinuses where the odour could build up into concentrated pools of odourous mucus or liquid and make the odour from the nose much worse than any odour coming from your mouth.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 pm
by trenski
Yes, I have severe gum disease and my BB can be smelled long distances, even when I am not close up and the smell lingers. Any suggestions? Thank You

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:18 pm
by halitosisux
Have you had any treatment yet for your gum disease? Your options depend on your age and how advanced the problem is, and how bad your breath is and how badly it affects your life.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:46 am
by trenski
I am 38. My BB is chronic and it has totally ruined my social life. I haven't had any treatment as of yet but I am planning to when I get the money for it. My gum disease is in advance stage and I also have my wisdom teeth, which right bottom tooth is impacted.Thanks.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 pm
by halitosisux
ur welcome. Good luck with the treatment.

Yes Gum disease can cause nose odor

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 am
by sweetnlow
Yes. I had bad nose odor because of gum disease. Go to a periodontist. I got scraping and plaining done. It may be called something else now because that's been 15 years. After having it done I stopped having nasal odor. I still have bad breath but the nose odor is gone. My breath is bad but not like it was. I still see my periodontis and my regular dentist. So I hope you have dental insurance. Dentist think teens can't have gum disease but they can. My gums bleed bad when I was 14. They may know this now but in 1982 I don't think they did.

Re: GUM DISEASE & NOSE ODOR

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 am
by deebo
trenski wrote:Does anyone know if gum disease causes nasal odor? I have really bad gum disease and wanted to know if it is linked or causing the odor in my nose. I also have chronic BB. Thanks.
what type of gum disease ? rotting gums ? swollen inflamed gums?...
something good to know http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:41 am
by trenski
Thanks for all the responses. All of the them are very helpful. Thanks.