Page 1 of 1

I need help with some questions

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:16 pm
by sweetnlow
Hello, I'm going to make an appointment for a endoscopy. I wanted to know who kind of questions should I ask the gastroenterologist before the procedure. I know that I should ask about h pylori but what else? Thanks for your time.

Re: I need help with some questions

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:24 pm
by deebo
sweetnlow wrote:Hello, I'm going to make an appointment for a endoscopy. I wanted to know who kind of questions should I ask the gastroenterologist before the procedure. I know that I should ask about h pylori but what else? Thanks for your time.
i'd let the Dr know In Advance that you will be there for bb investigation unless you know the source . i had an endoscopy for a gi issue .ended up being a waste of about $2200 because mine was a lower gi issue , this was an upper gi scope and I didn't have h-pyloi. I might have went with the camera pill in hindsight (full gi,no discomfort).

You might ask your Dr if inflammation or signs of acid above the esophagus are there . Your Dr should hopefully know to look for the obvious like parasites ,polyps,rotting food ...etc . If The Dr is taking a biopsy Only for h-pylori , maybe this is the time to get tissue samples to test for other things too.

I feel its time for all of us bb folks ,while in the comfort of the Dr's room to ask the Dr "what does my breath smell like ?" Different smells have different sources . This alone can cut Huge costs and time if Dr's know why we are there and what to look for . Loads of Dr are still Clueless about BB types. Time we help them get a clue so they can help us.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:03 pm
by halitosisux
sweet, I also went for an endoscopy. I agree with what deebo has said. It very much depends on what your symptoms are too (real or faked), but make certain that you tell them about your BB.

If you have the symptoms of gastritis your doctor will suspect helicobacter and look for the signs of gastritis, such as inflammation inside the stomach and duodenum. Make certain that no matter what, your doctor agrees beforehand to take a biopsy to test for the presense of HP whether they find signs of inflammation or not.

Everything else, they'll follow their own guidelines. You'll have to wait for the outcome to know whether anything is found that might relate to your breath problems.

I chose not to be sedated when I had mine, and I heard lots of things during the procedure that I may not have been told later on, so it's worth the discomfort, which wasn't too bad at all.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:03 am
by sweetnlow
Thanks Deebo and Halitosisux. I will take your good advice.