Page 1 of 1

Menssana Research in New Jersey

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 pm
by potty_mouth
It seems like there is a company doing exactly the kind of testing I was suggesting in an earlier post! :
http://www.menssanaresearch.com/btabout.html
"We have developed a portable breath collection apparatus (BCA) which can collect breath samples virtually anywhere. A person sits breathing quietly into the BCA for two minutes, while it captures breath VOCs onto a small sorbent trap which looks like a stainless steel cigarette. This trap is then sent to the laboratory for analysis by gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy"
Interestingly, in their pilot study, they identify a large number of alkanes and alkane derivatives which are linked to oxidative stress (normally caused by infection, but there may be other reasons):
http://www.menssanaresearch.com/pilotmalador.pdf
The normal breath tests such as OralChroma and Halimeter do not test for any of these! However, we should bear in mind that their sorbent trap method selectively absorbs compounds with 2 or more carbon atoms which would underestimate the levels of the compounds shown by OralChroma.
I need to do a bit more reading on their analysis but I believe this has so much potential for us! I urge anyone in the US to get in touch. They may even pay you if they have a malodor study going on 8)
I will contact them very soon and let them know of this site.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:51 pm
by lost1234
I live not too far away from this place and I would not mind being a test rat at all for them.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 pm
by potty_mouth
Thanks lost,
I think their analysis could be especially useful in determining whether ones problem is oral, nasal or alveolar (internal) bb. I've been a bit busy at work this week, but hope to draft a letter to Dr. Phillips asking a few questions and expressing our interest. Depending upon the response it may be worth having their breath collection machine sent to various cities in the US where there are a few members living near each other. Just a thought.
I'll keep you posted anyhow.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:15 am
by potty_mouth
UPDATE: One day after I started this thread, Mebo Research announced that they will be co-ordinating the testing by Menssana Research of the community! I'm starting a new thread to get everyone's attention... please post there to volunteer.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 am
by missjj
I would love to but I'm far in CA

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:50 pm
by joe1
I'm in. they can count on me!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:55 pm
by stulla
I would like to do it.