Your Email Address:

First Name:

Solution for halitophobics as well as self breath test!!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
badtimes

Solution for halitophobics as well as self breath test!!

Post by badtimes »

Solution for halitophobics

S. Setty

Manipal, India

Sir,- While many patients genuinely suffer from halitosis, halitophobia, an exaggerated fear of having bad breath, should be considered if no clinical findings support the patient's complaints or if the patient persists in believing that they have halitosis after treatment for genuine halitosis or pseudo halitosis1.

At times it becomes difficult for dentists to manage such patients. Referring such patients to a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist is an option, but this is not acceptable to all patients because they believe that they have severe malodour2 and also due to the social stigma attached to visiting a psychiatrist. 'Organoleptic' or 'hedonic' assessment has been considered as a kind of reference standard3 and the most practical method4 of oral malodour measurement. Such patients can be helped by using a simple 'air bag' method.

This should be done only after the patient is diagnosed to be suffering from pseudo halitosis or halitophobia. A food grade thin transparent plastic bag (odourless) measuring approximately 8 × 12 inches is used. The halitophobic patient is asked to seal his mouth with the open end of plastic bag. They then inhale air through the nose and exhale through the mouth in short bursts, as in speaking. The procedure is continued till the plastic bag is fully inflated. The mouth of this plastic air filled bag is then held tight so that no air escapes out of it. Next, the patient is seated comfortably in a well ventilated odour free room. Air from the plastic bag should be squeezed out in front of the patients' nose while they inhale slowly. As the air is odour free, the patient should be convinced that they are not suffering from halitosis.

To further strengthen the belief, odour free air can be collected from a volunteer or relative of the patient and the procedure be repeated for comparison. The advantage of this method is that a stream of the exhaled air is available for longer duration to be sniffed by the patient.

Another advantage of this method is the way in which air is collected; which is by short bursts, similar to speaking. We generally notice bad breath while someone is talking. Hence this air bag organoleptic self-assessment method can be used as adjunct in the management of patients with pseudo halitosis or halitophobia.

austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

what garbage. Even if the person has halitosis the air coming from the bag would not smell. Its only when it is directly from the mouth can it be smelled. I tried it before with balloons and a paper bag as well. Just smells like air.

However what you are talking about may be a psychological persuasion whereby the patient smells the clean air (even though they may HAVE halitosis) and then does not worry about it anymore. This doesnt solve anything.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

I find myself having the opposite of halitophobia, which is imaginary fresh breath. Yea sometimes I lie to myself by thinking that my breath isn't bad, while in fact it is. It seems to make me less worried and stressed.

Whenever someone offers me gum, mint, I tell myself, they do it for another reason. Whenever I see someone touch his/her nose, turn his/her head away from me, cough, hold their breath, look at me in a disgusted way, it's like I attacked someone with my breath. But I lie to myself by saying "I didn't and they do it for another reason." I keep telling myself "I don't have bad breath".

I keep telling myself this and imagine the situations I've been through different. If somone says my breath is bad, I lie to myself by saying "they are just joking around". I'm a hypocrite for life and I can't be stopped.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

Busted wrote:I find myself having the opposite of halitophobia, which is imaginary fresh breath. Yea sometimes I lie to myself by thinking that my breath isn't bad, while in fact it is. It seems to make me less worried and stressed.

Whenever someone offers me gum, mint, I tell myself, they do it for another reason. Whenever I see someone touch his/her nose, turn his/her head away from me, cough, hold their breath, look at me in a disgusted way, it's like I attacked someone with my breath. But I lie to myself by saying "I didn't and they do it for another reason." I keep telling myself "I don't have bad breath".

I keep telling myself this and imagine the situations I've been through different. If somone says my breath is bad, I lie to myself by saying "they are just joking around". I'm a hypocrite for life and I can't be stopped.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

you're not a hypocrite, busted. it's a survival tact. allow yourself that little kindness so you can get thru' the day. i know what it's like. there are times when i simply can't take any more rejections that i have to turn on the denial switch and not believe any reaction that i see.

would you call me a hypocrite for doing that?

:-k

cut yourself some slack, busted. just do whatever that you need to do to in order to cope. you're not hurting anyone.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I haven't tested this idea long enough to know if it really works, but what I've been doing is drinking a small bottle water and leaving about an inch of water left in the bottle, screw cap back on and leave it for tomorrow. Next day, unscrew the cap and instantly take a smooth whiff of the opening.

You might get a faint whiff of the type of breath you had at the time.
If it works, I might patent "special" halitosis tester water bottles LOL
coeric
Junior

Post by coeric »

i agree with busted and austuser here. the air has to be tested within 5 seconds or so or it is no good. when you got doctors who have never suffered from halitosis doing the examination the whole thing is futile.

in my 12 years of suffering i know of one sure-fire way to test. and that is a non-absorbant surface, like glass or plastic. go to your cupboard and get a glass cup or use any kind of surface that doesnt absorb liquid. then lick it. have you noticed that when you drink a glass of water (from a real glass) that hours later you can still smell the sulfur if you put your nose to the rim? the glass wont take in any kind of liquid or smell. this is why cupware can be easily cleaned.

so tell dr setty to get a new job.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic