Page 1 of 1

Rhinoliths aka Nose Stones

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:08 pm
by plumbum
Has anyone heard of rhinoliths? Apparently they form in the sinus mainly maxilary sinuses. Basically they start out as foreign matter or sometimes stuff already in your sinus and calcify into a larger mass of mucus, calcium, magnesium and what ever else. They have a fetid odor. Basically it's like getting a bead stuck in your nose and not removing it for a while. I have a theory that for someone with nose odor that may be the case. I'm gonna speak to my ENT when I go back to him in December about that being a possibility. My breath smells when I breath through my nose so I'm wondering if this could be the culprit. They don't always show up on CT scans. I will ask my doc to endoscope my maxillary sinuses to see if I'm right. Everyone should check this out.

Re: Rhinoliths aka Nose Stones

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 pm
by searching
plumbum wrote:Has anyone heard of rhinoliths?
Yes, rhinolith photos are seen here. I imagine these could be a source of anaerobically-generated odor.
There are informative photos at this site. Nasal polyps are seen here.

Rhinolith Happens !

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm
by deebo
This story is so unfortunate http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crim/2010/845671/

Lots of things can hide in there for Years and doctors can miss them over and over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcmLxvw ... re=related

"One author describes the case of a woman in whom, a sharp irrigation of the maxillary sinus was performed at the age of ten, absorbent cotton wool had been introduced into the nose and forgotten. 27 years later, she attended an ENT clinic complaining of impaired nasal breathing. Following an inspection of her nose she was informed that her breathing was “normal,” and an operative exploration was not done. On account of the foul smell from her nose, the patient was socially isolated and never married. Some 8 years later, her persistent breathing problem prompted her to make a further attempt to have it surgically treated. Once again the rhinolith remained undetected and no operation was performed. At the age of 71, the patient consulted an ENT specialist for a hearing problem, and, at last, the rhinolith was discovered incidentally and removed. The stone had thus remained in situ for 61 years. This case described by Bader and Hiliopoulos [22], with all its human tragedy, illustrates the fact that despite typical symptoms, the diagnosis of a rhinolith is not always easy—as Seifert noted in 1921 [23]—and this underscores the need for an endoscopic examination of the nasal cavities [24]."

hopemovo.com bb/bo network

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm
by Archimonde
What a sad story.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:37 am
by Susie
That video was amazing!!! Nothing showed up on the cat scan......WOW!!!!