I've been wondering for those of you who have BB, do you have constant blocked nose on either side of your nostrils? Sometimes you may not have a running nose or mucous discharge but if you try covering either side of your nostrils, you might notice it's not easy to breath through the other one.
For me, I started having allergic rhinitis around the age of 14 onwards, and it was only after that did I started being conscious of my breath. I never used to notice that I actually have constant blocked nose until one day I realised that even on a good day when my nose is not running and I feel that it's clear, it's still not entirely clear.
Okay anyway my point is, I'm thinking that my occasional BB is due to a dry mouth which is caused by lack of oxygen absorbed through the nostrils due to the constant blocked nose. So for those of you who are allergic rhinitis or sinus sufferers, do you think this might be the main reason for your BB?
P.S Please help to do the poll because I would like to know if it's actually common to have a constant blocked nostril on either side.
THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Is either side of your nostrils constantly blocked?
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
I have a blocked nostril when I am lying in bed at night. If I lie on my left side, the left nostril gets blocked within about two minutes. When I turn over on my right side, the right nostril will block up. At night I'm only breathing through the nostril that is in the higher position, but I think that is due to the fact that I have a deviated septum (which is fairly common). I don't think that has anything to do with my bad breath.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
lol, that's exactly the method I use whenever I have a blocked nose. If right side is blocked, I'll lie on left side, then repeat until both sides are sort of unblocked then I'll lie on my backPhantasist wrote:I have a blocked nostril when I am lying in bed at night. If I lie on my left side, the left nostril gets blocked within about two minutes. When I turn over on my right side, the right nostril will block up. At night I'm only breathing through the nostril that is in the higher position, but I think that is due to the fact that I have a deviated septum (which is fairly common). I don't think that has anything to do with my bad breath.
Actually I've been thinking about it and now I believe the cause of my BB should be mainly the tongue (which is made worse with blocked nose). I have a constant coating on my tongue and it takes on the colour and taste of whatever drinks I consume and the taste actually lingers until I use a tongue scrapper. However, even with a tongue scrapper it only takes of the top layer of coating but there'll still be some faint white coating which I've no idea how to get rid of
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
CNS,
Many of us in this forum have a white coating on the tongue. This layer seems to act like a sponge absorbing odors from food, especially aeromatic foods such as onions, garlic, mustard, etc.
But I would think that is fairly normal. I have scraped the coating off my tongue and smelled it after letting it dry. There was no odor. It seems the coating itself has no odor, but could form a protective layer for the anaerobic bacteria on the tongue so that the antibacterial substances in the saliva cannot reach them.
If this theory is correct, then eliminating the tongue coating should also eliminate the anaerobic bacteria and therefore the bad odor. However, there are two problems: 1) It's only a theory, so it may not be correct, and 2) No matter how often you scrape off the coating, it always comes back. So there is something in our bodies that is producing it. But what?
I don't have the answer. You would think the idiot doctors would know, but they don't.
Many of us in this forum have a white coating on the tongue. This layer seems to act like a sponge absorbing odors from food, especially aeromatic foods such as onions, garlic, mustard, etc.
But I would think that is fairly normal. I have scraped the coating off my tongue and smelled it after letting it dry. There was no odor. It seems the coating itself has no odor, but could form a protective layer for the anaerobic bacteria on the tongue so that the antibacterial substances in the saliva cannot reach them.
If this theory is correct, then eliminating the tongue coating should also eliminate the anaerobic bacteria and therefore the bad odor. However, there are two problems: 1) It's only a theory, so it may not be correct, and 2) No matter how often you scrape off the coating, it always comes back. So there is something in our bodies that is producing it. But what?
I don't have the answer. You would think the idiot doctors would know, but they don't.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
The reason why I'm quite positive that my tongue is the cause of the problem is because when I drink something heavy like coffee especially, if I stick out my tongue after that I can actually smell my tongue. I don't suppose this is very normal because so many people around me drink coffee daily yet they don't have any "coffee breath" at all. Which is also the reason why I'd never ever drink coffee if I'm outside and unable to scrap my tongue afterwards.
And yes, even when I scrap off the coating on my tongue, it feels much better but it's undeniable that there is still a faint layer of coating. Actually the very tip of my tongue is pink and when my tongue is heavily coated after drinking coffee for e.g, I can see the huge difference in colour between the tip of my tongue and the back of it. So I'm quite convinced that to solve the BB problem, we have to find a cure for the coating on the tongue.
I'm going to go out and buy baking soda (for cleaning the tongue) as well as acidophilus probiotics tomorrow, and will give it a try. After that I'll give an update on whether it works or not.
And yes, even when I scrap off the coating on my tongue, it feels much better but it's undeniable that there is still a faint layer of coating. Actually the very tip of my tongue is pink and when my tongue is heavily coated after drinking coffee for e.g, I can see the huge difference in colour between the tip of my tongue and the back of it. So I'm quite convinced that to solve the BB problem, we have to find a cure for the coating on the tongue.
I'm going to go out and buy baking soda (for cleaning the tongue) as well as acidophilus probiotics tomorrow, and will give it a try. After that I'll give an update on whether it works or not.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.