Your Email Address:

First Name:

Thanatos, have you been tested for TMAU?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

No, only because I don't have a fishy smell or any body odor. It's just my breath.
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks for answering - I was curious to know whether you had or not. I'm quite surprised that you'd dismiss it on these assumptions though.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

I just don't know what symptom I have besides oral malodor.

Wouldn't my body smell like fish?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

There is so much variability with TMAU. The range of different odours, the different ways it manifests itself etc.

When someone has bad breath because of a dental problem for example, EVERYONE can smell that. This is not the case for TMAU, and how many times have we heard on here that husbands or wives or friends and relatives cant smell the odours and others can. Also at meetups everyone saying they cant smell anything.

Read this thread:-
viewtopic.php?t=3495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I dont think malory mentions body odour or smelling of fish. Fishy odour only affects a certain percentage of people with TMAU, and its probably only in the severest forms that this occurs. Maybe its only because its called fish odour syndrome that its only those who smell fishy who generally end up getting tested and diagnosed. A doctor is not going to send a person for fish odour syndrome testing if the complainst is a smell of garbage or faeces. The name needs changing.

Even with the defective FM03 gene/enzyme there are multiple permutations that can lead to different levels of severity. We can even acquire TMAU if we are born with a naturally reduced capability to deal with TMA, if our gut bacteria or our liver are affected it can throw us into a zone where TMA starts to build up in the body. It just totally depends on the severity.

There is potential for false negatives in TMAU testing, if the case is not very severe, even though the person still smells. Our bodies are all different, chemically etc, there are so many variables.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Yes, it gets you thinking, how it can be possible that such a supposedly strong odour can go unnoticed by some people, when everyone is able to smell foul odours that occur in the environment, for example from farms etc.

I dont know all that much about TMAU, but my theory why this happens is that either some people's sense of smell is simply incapable of being able to detect this particular chemical in the concentrations that are released with TMAU, or that those people who cannot detect it on others cannot do so because they themselves are breathing out a level of TMA in their breath that habituates their own noses and renders themselves unable to smell it.

The level of TMA in the urine for a person who does not have TMAU is something like "10" (whatever the units are). For somebody with TMAU this goes up to around 40 or 50. This means that we all have a certain amount of TMA in our systems, the level of which could be the determining factor of whether we're able to detect the smell of TMA or not.

Another point to make is that TMA is a single chemical. The odour from TMAU is relating purely to this chemical, in varying concentrations. Most odours (foul ones such as those from faeces) are a combination of many different chemicals. That's why we can all smell such odours, and perhaps why we cant all smell the odour from a single chemical that our noses may have become habituated with.
Last edited by halitosisux on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
deebo

Post by deebo »

Look here http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitos ... -drug.html

gene drug . lets start lining up for that !
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hey deebo, I saw this news story last week on BBC and was surprised nobody mentioned it on here. BB has nowhere left to hide with this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18926892
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15272081

This link from that same page is even more exciting.
DanielPine
Advanced
Post by DanielPine »

drink yakult and take inner health plus tablets
deebo

Post by deebo »

halitosisux wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15272081

This link from that same page is even more exciting.
Very cool stuff going on . THank you Hali . gonna pass those around
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic