Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsil Stones

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Gooner
Junior

Tonsil Stones

Post by Gooner »

I never thought I would say this but im so excited I may have found the actual cause of my BB. For the first time ever a few hours ago I found a tonsil stone protruding from my left tonsil. I got it out so easily and my mouth feels so much fresher, nasal BB has decreased significantly, im breathing better through my nose. Ive had terrible nasal BB and mouth BB for about 4 weeks above and beyond normal and it has reduced so much from removing 1 tonsil stone in a space of a few hours its amazing. I know many of you will be thinking yeah yeah thats not necessarily the root cause and you may be right but im so positive about this I really think it is. Ive been so down and insular recently this really is a ray of hope in a weird sort of way. For the first time I have actually seen clear visual evidence of something that I can match to the odour I have been experiencing. It just seems to make sense.

I have coughed up 1 before but i dismissed it as a one off thinking it may be something else. Why has this suddenly been dislodged, well maybe just naturally but for 3 days ive been using contact lens cleaner as a mouthwash as i noticed it had hydrogen peroxide as an ingredient. If it cant hurst your eyes it must be harmless I figured. But anyway thats beside the point, im seeing my GP asap and am insisting on a tonsillectomy. I know some members were cured and some it made BB worse but if im honest im so close to succombing to a major breakdown because of this condition anyway i have nothing to lose.

Bbop12
Total Newbie

Post by Bbop12 »

Did the tonsilectomy work for your BB?
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

Haha i wish it was that quick, it wil take a few months to get an operation
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I can't think of any reason a tonsillectomy should actually make your breath worse, other than a botched operation.

Unless the tonsils actually have some useful biological function (such as being a storehouse of good bacteria to replenish the flora of the mouth).

Reports on people having breath that's probably worse than before may be an exaggeration, or their breath was just getting worse over time.
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

Mike - thats how I look at it too. Before yesterday I would have said I dont have tonsil stones and feel so stupid now I didn't take the time to check properly in 4 years of suffering. Ill bet there are loads of others who read this site who are exactly the same as me, seriously everyone make sure you rule this out before looking at all these extreme theories like ive been doing I am so sure about this.

Ive got an appointment with my GP next week who should refer me to an ENT. My only worry is they will want to refuse me the operation and try antibiotics but ive used many different types for various reasons over the years its a waste of time. The alternative as far as I can see if tonsil laser treatment but not sure of the success rate of that and if its a temporary fix.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Say the tonsil stones are always forming, and associate them with sore throats. Antibiotics won't kill a garbage trap in your mouth.
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

Thanks, also sleep apnea is something i genuinely suffer from and i noticed the link with the tonsils so ill mention it that also.
happylife05
Junior

Post by happylife05 »

My TMAU test came negative. Now trying to take care of these tonsils, I cough up stones now and then. I visited ENT recently and she din't want me to get surgery just for BB sake. I insisted and finally she agreed but, i guess now my insurance is not agreeing to cover this.

How should i get this covered by insurance?
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

happylife05 wrote:My TMAU test came negative. Now trying to take care of these tonsils, I cough up stones now and then. I visited ENT recently and she din't want me to get surgery just for BB sake. I insisted and finally she agreed but, i guess now my insurance is not agreeing to cover this.

How should i get this covered by insurance?
Don't make it a BB issue (which insurance might consider cosmetic).
Find another ENT and say you're not sure if you've ever had tonsillitis, but you often get sore throats, maybe because your tonsils are storing those bacteria rich stones right there in your throat.

It is true that I have had less sore throats after having my tonsils out.
lost1234
Junior

Post by lost1234 »

What do you believe your breath smells like? And how were you able to find a tonsil stone? Did you just go in there poking around or something?
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

From the mouth at the moment it smells like tonsil stones but that varies as well with nasal BB. Nasal BB at the moment is like baby poo, thats probably the best way to describe it but its not always been that way, it has gradually worsened.

No i didnt go poking around at all i happened to notice a stone and it came out so easy. Now, i have been poking around and my right tonsil definately has no odour or stones but the left one it absolutely awful and explains everything. It is much more crypted to feel the other is smooth. Ive tried to get more out i just cant get the technique its really frustrating but the smell is awful and its making my BB worse by messing with it.

Ive been looking at my options and aside from a full tonsillectomy which i think may be unnecessary now ive calmed down, im leaning towards laser tonsillectomy but i know the NHS here in the UK will be difficult to persuade. So im looking at options for private as im lucky to have a decent job that has allowed me to save. This is more for UK members i guess but ive found one in London that looks reputable but none near me in the north which is a shame. The one in london is LLC www.llc.co.uk. If anyone from the UK knows anywhere else id be really grateful if you could post as its a bit of a trek for me around 4 hours drive and presumably id need to go 2 or 3 times including consultation etc so its not ideal. Im going to ring tomorrow and get an idea on cost etc but im thinking £2k ish going off the site.
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

Also for anyone checking your tonsils who hasn't before dont expect stones to come flying out, i think you will get an indication by pressing them with your finger and smelling it because the secretions will be enough to know.
Gooner
Junior

Post by Gooner »

Ok ive bit the bullet and booked a consultation for 14/02 for a laser tonsillectomy. The operation could be as soon as the same week hopefully. Im looking at this costing me £2,500 in total which doesn't sit well but if it cures me i dont care. I'll post my experiences on here at the time. I would also like to hear from anyone else who had this done im a bit in the dark here and taking a leap of faith.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Gooner wrote:Ok ive bit the bullet and booked a consultation for 14/02 for a laser tonsillectomy. The operation could be as soon as the same week hopefully. Im looking at this costing me £2,500 in total which doesn't sit well but if it cures me i dont care. I'll post my experiences on here at the time. I would also like to hear from anyone else who had this done im a bit in the dark here and taking a leap of faith.
It probably won't cure you. If you still have BB even if you've thoroughly cleaned out your tonsils and then brushed, rinsed, etc, there's not really reason to believe your breath comes from the tonsil stones.

You'll probably be happier with them out, though.
George80
Junior

Post by George80 »

Before you get the surgery, you might want to check this device. I'm not kidding and I do not want to sell you anything (since I'm not related to that shop). Roeder was a German alternative Doctor who invented this device.

I have this tool at home and I suck off my tonsil stones from time to time. It is far more efficient than just pickin with a Q-Tip. I had a bad taste from one tonsil for years and could remove it with the roeder device.

You gently build up a vacuum on your tonsil, then pull on it very softly and then remove the stones with a Q-Tip. Repeat until no more tonsil stones come out. Mouth wash and gargle with warm saline water. You will have to figure out the procedure first and it may not be very comfortable, because the glass may tickle your uvula and cause a gag reflex.

It's not really cheap, but I would prefer I try, if I could avoid a surgery. This is the only thing that really helped me for some part during the whole time I suffer from this shit (although my problems are sinus related, but post nasal drip causes tonsil stones).

http://www.gassner-design.de/ghshop/pro ... 8db09f821b

or check this one

http://www.kastner-gmbh.de/component/pa ... /vmcchk,1/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic