Page 1 of 2
Waterpik/jet-flossing
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm
by halitosisux
Just some general information for whoever might be interested.
I floss my teeth using conventional waxed floss every day, but certain teeth always seem to make the floss smell bad. I always thought that it was because of the way certain teeth are situated, that they trap debris and bacteria etc.
I've recently bought a Waterpik. I fill it with warm water and add half a capful of hydrogen peroxide. I set the power to the medium setting.
One week later, no traces of blood in the sink. But what's really surprising to me is that if I now floss with conventional floss, there is no longer any odour produced whatsoever. I've got very healthy gums, but yet it just shows how much bacteria and debris does get trapped even in areas that look perfectly healthy.
If you religiously floss and follow very strict oral hygiene practices, I can't emphasize enough how much better jet flossing is compared to ordinary flossing.
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:03 pm
by kite
Thanks for shring this info, i am novice here
Could you please let me know the url for the product
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm
by Tibya
I have been using waterpix for past 4 yrs now. My periodontist suggested that I buy one. I use it religiously every night and also very often after lunch. I use Hydrogen per oxide in it with warm water. I also use other mouth washes in it. My regular gum maintenance is what i think has given me health gum. I cannot stress enough the use of waterpix , floss and very imp. gum massage from inside and outside.
It is so very useful that I have purchased a portable one (Panasonic - battery operated) and keep it in my purse and is very handy when we eat out.
I bought both these from amazon.
But this has not helped me with my bb

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm
by halitosisux
I've read that the Panasonic ones are superior. The Panasonic ones are more expensive though.
I was quite surprised at the quality of the Waterpik.
Kite, if you do some google searches you'll see the range. The portable one is good if like Tibya you want to take it with you, if you dont mind having to recharge it regularly and not having a very big water tank. They are not as powerful as the mains operated ones, apparently. I daren't even go past the mid power setting on my mains waterpik because it's surprisingly powerful. It's like the same power as a windscreen washer, yet in a narrower jet of water. So I think the portable waterpik would be more than powerful enough. There are different tips, but you'll generally only need the standard tip.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 am
by potty_mouth
As much as I tell myself "I've tried everything", I have to admit that I haven't ever given water-flossing a proper go.
I bought one in the US once, and when I got it back to the UK I plugged it in to 240V and fried it! (yes I'm an engineer.. I was having a bad day, LOL).
But yeah I get the same smelly floss sometimes and usually at the same few places. Certainly worth another try I think.
Good post, h-sux.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
by halitosisux
If I'd known it would completely get rid of my flossing odours I would have bought one years ago.
I dont really know how important it is to get it so clean behind the gums, both from a BB and from a dental care point of view. But considering how important flossing is as a preventative measure against dental problems, it's a good investment for anyone to make. It only takes a flap of a butterfly's wing to set in motion what can eventually become a hurricane, so in some cases bad breath really could start from something as simple as this.
Comparing conventional flossing with water-flossing is like the difference with using toilet paper and cleaning one's arse using a "bidet" or showering after going to the toilet.
Glad to hear it was only your Waterpik that got fried btw!
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:32 pm
by lost1234
Yeah im thinking I should up my oral regimen. Im gonna look into this and what do you guys think about the sonicare toothbrush? Do you think they make a difference? The only reason I havnt changed from using a regular toothbrush and floss to these other things is because my bb started over night. So I didnt assume it had anything to do with my mouth. Just dont want to waste money, but if it makes a difference i'll try them both out.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm
by halitosisux
Don't waste your money on a Sonicare. I really don't know how they get away with implying these things use some kind of ultrasonic cleaning, because they don't. They just vibrate like any other annoying toothbrush and make it feel they are doing more than manual ones. Far more important is a good brushing technique, and you can do that just as effectively with a manual toothbrush.
Real ultrasonic toothbrushes do exist, but they cost a LOT more than even the most expensive Sonicrap toothbrush.
Just as a guide, ultrasonic cleaners that clean jewellery etc operate at 20 to 40 kHz (that's 40,000 vibrations per second). Even the best Sonicare only operates at 30,000 vibrations per minute
It's just a gimmick.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 pm
by Tibya
I agree with halitosisux. Sonicare is no good. If you are able reach all areas of your teeth, regular tooth brush would be fine. I use the small/baby brush so its easier to reach the back side and also bristles are much soft.
Even with waterpix, I do think flossing is important. Water pix takes out most of the food particles, but flossing thread is thin that reaches in between the teeth and gum line and bacteria build up (if any) cleans up much better with floss thread.
@ halitosisux - have you tried mixing salt with water in your waterpix? I am always tempted to, but then afraid the salt may block the water flow.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:43 pm
by Tibya
@halitosisux - has waterpix helped you with your bad breath odor?
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 pm
by lost1234
Thanks guys, you probably just saved me about 150 dollars.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am
by halitosisux
Tibya, no, I've never tried salt. This is a great idea. I think if you warm the water and not put too much salt in, it should all dissolve and you shouldn't have any problems with granules blocking up the machine.
I'd say follow the guidelines for making a warm saltwater mouthrinse and you can't go wrong.
Tibya, I've got a remaining wisdom tooth that I'm waiting (and still deciding) whether to go ahead and risk the removal of. I used to have very bad tongue odours but this stopped when I had my other wisdom tooth removed 2 years ago. I've been thinking and learning about BB for 25 years, but it's only really since I joined this site that I learned anything at all. Nothing in this world could ever have the hold on me that having bad breath could have. So, that creates a certain amount of insecurity within me that can only be lessened the more I arm myself by learning. So while I'm trying to learn as much as I can, I'm also healing myself inside knowing that trying to help others I'm turning all the bad feelings I have towards this whole experience, into something positive.
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:08 pm
by halitosisux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... oZo08WSbsQ
I'd like to see him try to do with same thing with a Sonicare!
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:25 pm
by mike987
I would love to have that procedure done, alone with the perioscopy..
I have gum pockets 5mm deep in some places.. The thing is though, I always take great care of my teeth and gums... I've been water pik-ing typically twice a day for 6 months or so.
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:24 pm
by Tibya
mike987 wrote:
I have gum pockets 5mm deep in some places.. The thing is though, I always take great care of my teeth and gums... I've been water pik-ing typically twice a day for 6 months or so.
Mike, Your gum pockets are very deep. It may affect on your root. Waterpix helps and is easy to use. But it also depends on how long you use it. Waterpix does not give the much needed massage on your gums. I had perio during my pregnancy and after the baby was born I had laser cleaning. It helped me a lot. And after that I do not take an chances with my gum massage. I do this religiously and in past few yrs my gums are very healthy.The key is to do it very often. To start with several times/day and atleast after every meal. I give 20-30 mins of my morning and evening time to my oral hygine and atleast 10 mins after lunch time. Gum area above each teeth needs to be massaged well. But first you need to get rid of 5mm pockets.