Page 1 of 1

To those with digestive or gut-bacterial related BB ....

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:39 pm
by mike987
.. Were you born via Cesarean section?

We always talk about our immune system being blasted by antibiotics, but how about all the beneficial bacteria a mother can bestow to her child during childbirth?

Here's a quote from a pregnancy Q&A article that addresses pooping while giving birth, and while isn't focused on my point, it acknowledges it.
Also worth mentioning while talking about babies and nethers: there's a lot of good bacteria in the birth canal (AKA the vagina) that does all kinds of wonders for the baby's immune system. Seriously, one reason there's added risk in a c-section is that babies miss out on that smear of bacteria. So while this may all seem rather impolite, it's a pretty good system.
I was born from a C-section. I've had ear infections early in my life and allergies from a young age. I have BB and unusual digestion and I don't know why... Am I missing out on integral bacteria naturally given during normal child birth?


How many of you focused on bacterial imbalance/ digestion related BB were also born via a Cesarean section procedure?

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:14 pm
by searching
Related article, regarding affect of microbial exposure during [normal vs. cesarean section] birth, is seen here: http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/ ... irth-route.

Perhaps Caesar had some issues.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm
by Tibya
There is good as well as bad bacteria that can be passed to the baby during vaginal delivery. The risk is always high of passing bad bacteria because women usually have more vaginal discomfort/discharge/fungi/bacteria more during pregnancy (blame it on hormones) or are easily prone to infections during pregnancy term (hence the extra care for vitamins, vaccination etc during this phase).
c-section are more easy for the babies because they do not have to travel through the vaginal cannal and get caught in that area where doctors cannot even look for heart beat.
As for the bacteria, you can grow bacteria easily at anytime of your age - good or bad. Its completely killing of the bacteria that is difficult to achieve or rather balancing of the good and bad bacteria that's difficult to achieve.
I was born vaginal.