THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
My nasal odor is gone!
- coconuthead
- Advanced
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm
- Gender:
My nasal odor is gone!
Back in early January I was breathing in the sleeve of my jacket and noticed that I had a foul smell coming from my nose. At first, I thought I was being paranoid until I noticed people sitting next to me would react and cover their noses even when I wasn't talking. About 2 weeks later, I started getting this really bad headache and ear pain, and my throat was so sore and I constantly had this feeling that mucus was running down my throat. I did research and figured I had a sinus infection, so I went to the ENT and he prescribed me antibiotics.
It's been day 6 of using my antibiotics and my nasal odor is gone. I also noticed that the awful taste in my mouth when I wake up in the morning isn't as bad as it used to be. However, I still have white stuff on my tongue, but when I stick the floss through my teeth it doesn't smell anymore. I'm not sure whether my breath still smells, because I haven't tested it on anyone, but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth an hour after brushing, so I'm sure I still have BB. Also, the ENT recommended that I do a saline rinse, so I bought a neti pot and I rinse my nose twice a day. I've been doing that since Wednesday. Maybe both the antibiotics and neti pot cleared the nasal odor.
It's been day 6 of using my antibiotics and my nasal odor is gone. I also noticed that the awful taste in my mouth when I wake up in the morning isn't as bad as it used to be. However, I still have white stuff on my tongue, but when I stick the floss through my teeth it doesn't smell anymore. I'm not sure whether my breath still smells, because I haven't tested it on anyone, but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth an hour after brushing, so I'm sure I still have BB. Also, the ENT recommended that I do a saline rinse, so I bought a neti pot and I rinse my nose twice a day. I've been doing that since Wednesday. Maybe both the antibiotics and neti pot cleared the nasal odor.
-
glamourgirl05
- Junior
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am
Please be careful with neti pot usage. Not trying to scare anyone here, only concerned with safety and well being of everyone here.
neti pot was was recently on yahoo page news.
Look at the warning heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
Also, please let us know the antibiotics prescribed by ENT specialist. 2 of my ENTs were of no use in any diagnosis.
neti pot was was recently on yahoo page news.
Look at the warning heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
Also, please let us know the antibiotics prescribed by ENT specialist. 2 of my ENTs were of no use in any diagnosis.
- coconuthead
- Advanced
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm
- Gender:
Hey Tibya, I've been very careful with the neti pot. I only use bottled water. My ENT prescribed me a higher dosage of Amoxicillin. My BB is still there, though, because I've recently tested it on my cousin, but my nasal odor is gone.Tibya wrote:Please be careful with neti pot usage. Not trying to scare anyone here, only concerned with safety and well being of everyone here.
neti pot was was recently on yahoo page news.
Look at the warning heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
Also, please let us know the antibiotics prescribed by ENT specialist. 2 of my ENTs were of no use in any diagnosis.
Its best to microwave it and let it cool before use.coconuthead wrote:Hey Tibya, I've been very careful with the neti pot. I only use bottled water. My ENT prescribed me a higher dosage of Amoxicillin. My BB is still there, though, because I've recently tested it on my cousin, but my nasal odor is gone.Tibya wrote:Please be careful with neti pot usage. Not trying to scare anyone here, only concerned with safety and well being of everyone here.
neti pot was was recently on yahoo page news.
Look at the warning heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
Also, please let us know the antibiotics prescribed by ENT specialist. 2 of my ENTs were of no use in any diagnosis.
Coconut , ar you planing to take probiotics to get back good gut bacteria after antibiotics ??
skunkhugs on skype
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
-
Music Lady
- Advanced
- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm
Got a chance to do some more browsing last night and found this post on another board where the sufferer diluted Amoxicillin, saline solution, baby shampoo, etc., rinsed his nostrils with this, let it dry, and apparently this, along with diet, allergy shots, etc. cured his 5 years of bb. As far as I can tell the OP and the below poster feels PND/Sinus is the culprit for there BB.
When I first read it I thought gosh that must've burned something awful. As far as I can tell the person hadn't posted much of an update so who knows if its still working but its certainly an interesting regimen.
When I first read it I thought gosh that must've burned something awful. As far as I can tell the person hadn't posted much of an update so who knows if its still working but its certainly an interesting regimen.
Ok. Im not a physician so you can't sue me. That said, I suffered from the same symptoms you described. Here's what I found. You probably needed allergy shots for either seasonal allergies or pets etc. Next diet is important. High fat diets produce histamines which also cause allergic reations. Cut back. Increase water to thin mucus secretions. Increase physical activities...helps immunity. Heres the good part, I discovered that my constant pnd was caused from chronic sinus infections. Id go to my allergist and get antibiotics and my bb would leave, but only for a few days. Then its back to coated tongue and dry mouth. After reading up on biofilms (a coating that keeps infections from ever really being eliminated) I discovered that a nasal pulsator(waterpik makes one called sinuseanse sold at walmart) with a saline packet mixed with 2 drops of Johnson and John son baby shampoo and water eliminates biofilms. This instantly helped pnd and tongue coating. Bb improved...but not totally eliminated. Finally out of utter desperation I took half of a amoxicilllin tab that I had from a previous sinus infection, mixed it with the saline, shampoo and water solution and shook it up in the pulsator until it was dissolved. I then shot the mix into both nostrils, letting it sit until it dried. I repeated this in the am and pm for two days. That did it.......5 years of pAin was done. My saliva was normal...no lump in my throat..no coating on tongue..no foul pnd. Bb gone!
I think the infection is somewhere in the sinus cavity. Antibiotics can't heal you until the biofilm is gone. Once it is eliminated the antibiotic can do its job! I pray this helps you...i understand what youve been through..i think this is your soultion! God bless!
Last edited by Music Lady on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Music Lady
- Advanced
- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm
- coconuthead
- Advanced
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm
- Gender:
Hey Clara,clara0 wrote:@coconuthead
Are you still on antibiotics or you are finished with them?
Please let me know, I have been on them before but bb came back stronger after I finished now I am again on them after one year and I am worried about what will happen next.
Today is my last day on the antibiotics.
- coconuthead
- Advanced
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm
- Gender:
Hi deebodeebo wrote:Its best to microwave it and let it cool before use.coconuthead wrote:Hey Tibya, I've been very careful with the neti pot. I only use bottled water. My ENT prescribed me a higher dosage of Amoxicillin. My BB is still there, though, because I've recently tested it on my cousin, but my nasal odor is gone.Tibya wrote:Please be careful with neti pot usage. Not trying to scare anyone here, only concerned with safety and well being of everyone here.
neti pot was was recently on yahoo page news.
Look at the warning heading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation
Also, please let us know the antibiotics prescribed by ENT specialist. 2 of my ENTs were of no use in any diagnosis.
Coconut , ar you planing to take probiotics to get back good gut bacteria after antibiotics ??
skunkhugs on skype
So you're saying poor the bottled water in a cup, heat it in the microwave, poor it in the neti pot, then let it cool?
Yes, I bought acidophilus probiotics from the pharmacy yesterday. I'll start taking them tomorrow.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
This is just a thought. I'm not a medical or scientifically trained person so please be very cautious with what I'm about to say. I'm still trying to decide whether to risk removing my last remaining impacted wisdom tooth. This (completely buried) tooth occasionally produces a very small amount of "tonsil stone" odour when I rub the gum around it.
I still get a very small amount of odour buildup on the very far back of my tongue if I've allowed it to go stale there. I've tried experimenting with a few different antimicrobials including hydrogen peroxide and what is considered to be the most powerful - chlorhexidine. But, I recently bought a bottle of a certain brand of chlorine dioxide. I'm astonished at how effective it is compared to the chlorhexidine. I last tried this stuff about about 15 years ago and it tasted like diluted bleach, but the one I'm currently trying tastes of absolutely nothing, except a very slight salty taste.
I don't scrape or brush my tongue, but I was a regular scraper 15 years ago. At the moment my tongue looks normal.
Please read the following quotes:-
Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a safe thing to do? Chronic sinusitis usually involves the formation of bacterial biofilms, which is why it can be so hard for antibiotics not only to reach the intended areas, but also to eradicate them. If chlorine dioxide would be safe to use in the nose, it might work. At the very least it would neutralize the odours. Chlorine dioxide is also an antifungal.
I still get a very small amount of odour buildup on the very far back of my tongue if I've allowed it to go stale there. I've tried experimenting with a few different antimicrobials including hydrogen peroxide and what is considered to be the most powerful - chlorhexidine. But, I recently bought a bottle of a certain brand of chlorine dioxide. I'm astonished at how effective it is compared to the chlorhexidine. I last tried this stuff about about 15 years ago and it tasted like diluted bleach, but the one I'm currently trying tastes of absolutely nothing, except a very slight salty taste.
I don't scrape or brush my tongue, but I was a regular scraper 15 years ago. At the moment my tongue looks normal.
Please read the following quotes:-
Can microorganisms become resistant against chlorine dioxide?
Chlorine dioxide as a disinfectant has the advantage that it directly reacts with the cell wall of microorganisms. This reaction is not dependent on reaction time or concentration. In contrast to non-oxidizing disinfectants, chlorine dioxide kills microorganisms even when they are inactive. Therefore the chlorine dioxide concentration needed to effectively kill microorganisms is lower than non-oxidizing disinfectant concentrations. Microorganisms cannot built up any resistance against chlorine dioxide.
The reason I'm stating all of this is because I'm wondering whether chlorine dioxide can be used for nasal irrigation?Can chlorine dioxide be used against bio film?
Chlorine dioxide remains gaseous in solution. The chlorine dioxide molecule is powerful and has the ability to go through the entire system. Chlorine dioxide can penetrate the slime layers of bacteria, because chlorine dioxide easily dissolves, even in hydrocarbons and emulsions. Chlorine dioxide oxidizes the polysaccharide matrix that keeps the bio film together. During this reaction chlorine dioxide is reduced to chlorite ions. These are divided up into pieces of bio film that remain steady. When the bio film starts to grow again, an acid environment is formed and the chlorite ions are transformed into chlorine dioxide. This chlorine dioxide removes the remaining bio film.
Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a safe thing to do? Chronic sinusitis usually involves the formation of bacterial biofilms, which is why it can be so hard for antibiotics not only to reach the intended areas, but also to eradicate them. If chlorine dioxide would be safe to use in the nose, it might work. At the very least it would neutralize the odours. Chlorine dioxide is also an antifungal.
Hey coconuthed . personally , i have neilmed nasal rinse bottlescoconuthead wrote:deebo wrote:Hi deebococonuthead wrote: skunkhugs on skype
So you're saying poor the bottled water in a cup, heat it in the microwave, poor it in the neti pot, then let it cool?
Yes, I bought acidophilus probiotics from the pharmacy yesterday. I'll start taking them tomorrow.
http://www.amazon.com/NeilMeds-Sinus-Ri ... 082&sr=8-4
they are microwave safe , so i put the water in and mic them for 2 minutes til they boil and then let it cool in the same bottle . This way the water and the bottle are sterile to a degree .
Halisux, the chlorine dioxide sounds like something to test out for sure. Start well diluted like maybe 1:100 and working up maybe . I wonder if there was a diff between the one you say tasted like bleach and the 1 that tasted of mere salt . Could be a shelf life issue .
'skunkhugs' bb/bo group on skype
- coconuthead
- Advanced
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:23 pm
- Gender:
Hey deebo, I have the same thing, except it's the neilmed neti pot. I've always been afraid to put it in the microwave, because I thought that it would melt. I have a question, though. I'm seriously wasting a lot of bottled water doing this, so I was wondering could I just boil water in the microwave, the stove takes too long, and rinse my nose with that or is it not going to be sterile enough. How long should I let it boil?deebo wrote:coconuthead wrote:deebo wrote:
Hey coconuthed . personally , i have neilmed nasal rinse bottles
http://www.amazon.com/NeilMeds-Sinus-Ri ... 082&sr=8-4
they are microwave safe , so i put the water in and mic them for 2 minutes til they boil and then let it cool in the same bottle . This way the water and the bottle are sterile to a degree .
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
@deebo, I think it's certainly worth a try if it's safe to do so. I was going to mention diluting it, but it's very easy to "deactivate" chlorine dioxide by contamination. That's why you should never put your mouth around the bottle or do anything to allow saliva to contaminate it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the bottle I bought, because it's working so amazingly well. I think the strange taste might be the fact that it now contains fluoride and bicarbonate. It doesn't have any of that bleachy odour, possibly because it's been improved in some way over the years.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the bottle I bought, because it's working so amazingly well. I think the strange taste might be the fact that it now contains fluoride and bicarbonate. It doesn't have any of that bleachy odour, possibly because it's been improved in some way over the years.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.