Your Email Address:

First Name:

grapefruit seed extract

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ruch
Sheriff

grapefruit seed extract

Post by ruch »

i got some the other day and after brushing my teeth, i used 8 drops in about 1/2 cups or 3/4 cup of water. i swished with each mouthful before swallowing. it tasted terrible (i hate bitter anything!). i used 3 drops in my neti pot with about a cup of salty water solution. i didn't notice any discomfort or burning sensation or anything like some others have said. i may use more drops next time since it may have been too weak and not done anything. i then put about 30 drops in about 4 cups of water in my hydrofloss machine and irrigated my gumline and between my teeth with it.

today, i woke up and noticed a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. i still had morning breath but not as bad. i gargled with dioxirinse (an active chlorine dioxide rinse that hasn't been working for my bb lately and leaves a funny aftertaste.. but i used it because it supposedly helps to loosen biofilm before brushing), rinsed with water, then brushed my teeth and scraped my tongue. i then drank a cup of water with 1 tbsp of liquid chlorophyll in it (actually, i swished with it before swallowing), and then i gargled with the same grapefruit seed extract in water solution as i did yesterday (didn't use neti pot yet though, nor the hydrofloss). i only gargled with the first gulp and it tasted nasty, so i swallowed the rest without gargling since i figured it would be going down my throat anyway. i then let a BLIS K12 probiotic lozenge dissolve in my mouth.

this was all around 11:30am or noon today. it is now almost 4:30pm. anyway, i noticed that it has been working. i cannot detect any bb on myself (i can usually smell and/or taste it using a variety of methods.. usually i can smell it if i jut my lower lip out and breathe with my mouth, and i can smell it even if i cannot detect any odours with the lick test or by cupping my hands over my mouth and breathing). however, it seems to have affected my sense of taste. it dulled my sense of taste, i think. i just had a garden strawberry and i could taste it was sweet, and i could smell it, but i cannot taste the usual intense strawberry flavour. this makes me nervous that even though i might think my bb is gone with GSE, it isn't? i do notice that my usual slightly white tongue coating is mostly gone though.. and i have been noticing that when i seem to have neutral breath on those rare occasions when something works for a short time, my tongue coating is usually gone.

does anyone else have this problem with dulled sense of taste? if it always dulls my sense of taste, i don't know if i want to keep using GSE because i love being able to taste food (i am a foodie!).

i am using Inno-Vite brand GSE. according to the label, each drop (0.05 ml) contains:
organically grown grapefruit seed extract (0.02 ml)
oregano leaf powder ([1:10] equivalent to 0.3 mg) (0.003 ml)

ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

ok, a quick update:

after i wrote the above, i brushed my teeth (since i had eaten some food.. the food would normally would make my breath stink but didn't: aloo pie and doubles.. both are spicy trinidadian snacks). i didn't rinse with anything. after a little while, it seemed like my sense of taste may have returned. my breath still felt/smelled/tasted neutral (but with less of that stripped weird taste/feeling in my mouth i've had since this morning for a few hours after using the GSE). probably not 100% neutral but when you have bb, even a little neutral is pretty damn good, as you all know! i just ate a strawberry to test it and seems i can taste it properly again. so maybe this GSE really does work, but it will strip your sense of taste for awhile afterwards. i don't know if brushing is what fixes that. will keep testing over next little while and keep you posted.

i am noticing some PND phlegm in the back of my throat though so will use the neti pot with some GSE in it again soon.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Could it be that you can't sense your BB precisely because the effect is has on your ability to taste?
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

yeah, that is what i am worried about!

i might try to use it and ask my mom to test my breath next time i see her. she is the only one i would test it with.

i used some GSE again (in gargle and swallowed, and in neti pot) yesterday evening before heading out. when i got to my boyfriend's, i brushed, flossed, scraped, and used my chlorhexidine rinse (which sometmes works for me and sometimes doesn't).

i woke up just over an hour ago and brushed my teeth. didn't use anything yet and have not eaten. i don't sense any bb on me at all. just ate a strawberry and it tasted amazing... so maybe this GSE does work! i have not detected any bb since i started using it 2 nights ago. however, you are right: i need to test it on someone else so will check with my mom and report back.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

so, GSE is still working for me for the most part. i'm curious to see if it works for others if you decide to try it. the key is to not use it alone.. it needs to be used in conjunction with good oral hygiene (which i know most of us already do - brushing, flossing, scraping or brushing tongue, etc.) and with an additional rinse. prior to using GSE, i was finding rinses alone did not help. for example, i have been using GSE with either closys or chlorhexidine so far and it works.. but if GSE is used alone, it doesn't work as well. i use the GSE as a gargle and then i swallow... and then i use the other commercial rinse. i do this everytime i feel i need to rinse (2-3x a day). once a day, i use it in my neti pot (careful not to use too much or it burns! i use a max of 4 drops), and in my hydrofloss (30 drops).

i also notice that my reduced ability to taste is now gone as well.. so either it was just an adjustment for my mouth when first using GSE, or i am just not noticing it anymore.

let me know if this works for you. i still haven't gotten the chance to check my breath on anyone yet, but the bad taste, feel and smell from my mouth are gone (or reduced) from what i can tell, and the white coating has reduced.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

I'll put it on my list of things to try.
For now I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for a bit longer.. also going to do another dose of Lufenuron.

I haven't been consuming the GSE.. Just putting it in the waterpik. I'm also wondering if that's what's responsible for the red dots that have been appearing all over my body for the last two months or so.. If I consumed it, it could really make things bad for my skin o_o .. if it was the GSE that was responsible... I suppose it's worth a try.
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

I've tried GSE in the neti pot. It seems to diminish my sense of smell. So it can give the false impression that the bb is better than it is. Colloidal silver in the neti pot seems to work better for me, but I don't know for sure how much it improves the bb.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

i will try to check with my mom soon about the bb after using GSE and get back to everyone. i tried using it tonight (rinse, swallow, neti pot and hydrofloss) and i noticed a diminished sense of smell again. however, i do feel like something is happening though since my white coating is reduced.. so maybe even if the bb is not all gone, it is reduced at least.

i got my lufenuron today but am a bit scared to try it so far. i want to read up on it more, as well as on candida to make sure i want to do it and do it in an effective way. by the way, this is useful: http://www.healthexcel.com/docs/_cand1.html

careful about colloidal silver! google it and look at the images to see what can happen to your skin.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloi ... er/AN01682
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

ruch wrote: careful about colloidal silver! google it and look at the images to see what can happen to your skin.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colloi ... er/AN01682
I use Mesosilver, which is very safe, since it is a true colloidal. Just 1 capful in the Neti pot. A lot of times it will remove some hardened phlegm from the back of my throat, when nothing else will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic