Page 1 of 1

Does anyone ever floss and have a horrible smell...

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:43 am
by coconuthead
inbetween your teeth?

I normally brush my teeth first and then floss, and I've noticed that when I floss between each tooth it's odorless, except for one tooth.

Whenever I stick the floss inbetween it and smell it, it smells like feces. It reminds me of how tonsil stones smell. It's always between that one tooth. The other teeth never smell that way when I floss.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:08 pm
by emotional rescue
I got the exact same issue. Only in one mollar that has a porcelain crown. It's my only fixed tooth.
It has like a dark line between the gum line and the crown, and when I floss i can stick the floss quite deep under the crown,

I wonder how much influence does this have on my breath.

Anyone else has this problem?

Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm
by halitosisux
How long have you had the crown?

If you haven't already tried one, a Waterpik type irrigator is very good for cleaning where conventional floss cannot reach. I've always had certain teeth which make my floss stink, but I recently bought a waterpik and that's completely got rid of the odour.

Re: Does anyone ever floss and have a horrible smell...

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:43 am
by mike987
coconuthead wrote:inbetween your teeth?

I normally brush my teeth first and then floss, and I've noticed that when I floss between each tooth it's odorless, except for one tooth.

Whenever I stick the floss inbetween it and smell it, it smells like feces. It reminds me of how tonsil stones smell. It's always between that one tooth. The other teeth never smell that way when I floss.

Is anybody else having this problem?
Back when I had tonsil (and stones) and I didn't floss every single day, I used to have this often.

I bet if I still didn't floss every day, I'd probably get it.

Re: Does anyone ever floss and have a horrible smell...

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm
by coconuthead
mike987 wrote:
coconuthead wrote:inbetween your teeth?

I normally brush my teeth first and then floss, and I've noticed that when I floss between each tooth it's odorless, except for one tooth.

Whenever I stick the floss inbetween it and smell it, it smells like feces. It reminds me of how tonsil stones smell. It's always between that one tooth. The other teeth never smell that way when I floss.

Is anybody else having this problem?
Back when I had tonsil (and stones) and I didn't floss every single day, I used to have this often.

I bet if I still didn't floss every day, I'd probably get it.
It's funny because I floss everyday. Sometimes only once, but I do manage floss my teeth everyday, and inbetween that one tooth always smell bad. I could brush my teeth and not eat anything, and hours later stick a toothpick inbetween that tooth and smell the toothpick and that smell is there.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 am
by mike987
Get that tooth seriously looked at. Have the doc clean your teeth, then floss there a little later and see that it's not clean.

I don't want to rush to conclusions, because maybe that tooth is just trapping what's already in your mouth (bacteria) coming from somewhere else, but if I were you, I'd probably get that tooth removed, out of desperation.


Try soaking that tooth area in hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes, just to see if it kills the stink on that area.