THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Gluten sensitivity

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Gluten sensitivity

Post by halitosisux »

I know I've always had a higher susceptibility to bad breath than normal.

I've always had tongue coating, although it no longer smells bad or turns my mouth to sewage, it can sometimes smell a bit right at the back, especially in the morning if I'm dehydrated.

I had BB all through my childhood (or so I was constantly led to believe by my cruel siblings). I cannot remember when I first noticed tonsil stones, but I had them until I had my tonsils removed. I get odour between most of my teeth unless I used a waterpik daily. I have PND which is definitely not just mucus in my throat, it comes directly from the back of my nose. I'm constantly having to snort it away (yuk sorry).

For many years I had a very delicate stomach which would have me coiled up in agony if I ate or drank anything acidic (wines, beers, lemonade were killers) yet I have never had helicobacter pylori and a stomach endoscopy showed no signs of gastritis or ulceration.

I can remember going through a phase in my childhood where I had to put certain gel in my mouth because of constant mouth ulcers.

I remember always having white spots on my finger nails. Headaches are very common. Achy joints for no reasons. Muscular pains for no reason. Random patches of tenderness around my body for no particular reason.

I didn't grow very much until my parents panicked and started feeding me on things they thought would help matters. My School reports were always "could do better" "lazy" etc. yet I knew about things which most adults didn't even know about.

I can get bloated on a cup of tea and a slice of toast. Always had a tendency towards constipation with occasional episodes of totally unexplainable diarrhoea. Some days I'm so gassy that I could put a cow to shame. Other days I'm fine. I've always put that down to eating to quickly.

I've got an above average looking body. I don't use a gym but I do the occasional sports and I cycle a lot and do moderate exercise. But my belly has always stuck out and it's only become worse as I'm getting older. If I look at old childhood photos I look like I'm starving and malnutritioned.

I've tried so many things over the years to fight this BB curse, but one thing I'm not 100% certain of is whether my doctor did a celiac disease test during other blood tests.

I've been reading up a bit on gluten sensitivity after aues has been posting some links. I had no idea a person can be sensitive to gluten even though they can have negative blood results for celiac disease. There may be much more to this than we all realise. Apparently it can take many months for the damage to gut lining to reverse after avoiding gluten. Symptoms can reduce immediately, or they can take months. While the intestines are affected, it can lead to serious absorption issues and lead to many deficiencies. This can then lead to lots of other serious consequences around the body.

I've rushed typing this out, but I wanted to start this thread to hear what symptoms everyone has relating to this.

If I think of anything else I'll add to it.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

I've tried so many things over the years to fight this BB curse, but one thing I'm not 100% certain of is whether my doctor did a celiac disease test during other blood tests.
You might just call and ask him if there's such a thing in his records.


One possibility would be to just stop eating gluten completely. Do not stop eating gluten it you want to have tests regarding gluten! The tests won't work if you haven't eaten gluten in the time before the tests.
If you got some money or your insurance covers it I recommend not to stop eating gluten, but going to your doctor to ask for gluten related tests.



Such as these blood tests (hope I get them right):

blood test for Transglutaminase IgA-Antibodies
as I understand: If it's positive you are very likely to have a gluten-related problem. But it can be negative because of
Selective immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency
which also can be testet for by a blood test I think.

If possible also check for deamidated gliadin-peptide-antibodies (-IgA und –IgG).

And biopsy seems a further good test regarding gluten:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/978/1/So ... e1.htmlhim

And as you wrote: As far as I have read there a some people who are tested negative even though a complete gluten-free diet lets them get rid of their symptoms. Some people think that's because of something else than gluten which is in for example wheat which causes trouble for some people. This something else could have been in wheat etc. for hundreds of years or might just have been added to wheat etc. in the last decades.

So if you can't afford those tests or every doctor thinks your a psycho you might just make sure not to eat even a crumb of bread or any other thing that could contain gluten (gluten is in like anything processed - so check everything on the internet before eating.

EDIT: Corrected names of recommended antibody tests.
Last edited by aues on Tue May 22, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potty_mouth
Junior
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Brazil

Post by potty_mouth »

Has anyone in the US tried this test yet?:

http://www.intestinalbarriertest.com/pd ... ojdani.pdf

http://www.intestinalbarriertest.com/

I think I'm gonna try it when I'm over there in August. I have tested negative for Celiac but this is a better test and for all kinds of sensitivities that are missed in normal blood IgE screens for allergies.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

potty_mouth wrote:I have tested negative for Celiac
Which kinds of tests did you have? Blood, saliva, stool, urine - and what has exactly been tested?
Did you have biopsy of the small intestine? If yes, did the people who performed the biopsy take samples from different areas?
potty_mouth
Junior
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Brazil

Post by potty_mouth »

aues wrote:
potty_mouth wrote:I have tested negative for Celiac
Which kinds of tests did you have? Blood, saliva, stool, urine - and what has exactly been tested?
Did you have biopsy of the small intestine? If yes, did the people who performed the biopsy take samples from different areas?
I just had a blood test for the Celiac gene as far as I recall. I may still be sensitive to gluten or wheat, hence why I want to try the saliva test.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

I didn't eat any gluten-food when i was on raw food for 6 months. Also did a Zero-carb diet of 3 months. I was mostly gluten-free around 2010-2011. Gluten isn't the problem in my case for sure unless it takes the gut more than a year to heal.
User avatar
Shit4Breath
Advanced
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Post by Shit4Breath »

We need to get real this bad breath is not caused by gluten sensitivy not to say that you don't have it. I'm coming to the conclusion the gut had nothing to do with my bad breath at all. I've been on a liquid diet for 5 days now and have done vitmain and liver flushing as well as taking probiotics just for the heck of it. When I picked up one of the balls it smelled like nothing now when I fart it smells like nothing. Some of us have breath that is more stanker then our fart.

I believe our breath is caused by staphlycoccus aureus which is a chronic bacterial infection that lives in the mouth, throat, and nasal cavalties of 20% of the population. This bacteria is fascinating because it seems to almost work as a parasite. It can actually bind itself to cells in our own bodies by proteins that allow them to adhere. There are several different strains of S.aureus and MERSA is the most contagious. But all group A protein binding bacterial strains are the hardest to treat and least suscceptible to bacterial treatment because of this binding action to our own cells. 20% of humans are long term carriers that is just how hard it is to get rid of. I believe alot of us have this infection chronically.

Meowkitty and others have stop having room filling bb because they removed their adenoids and tonsils (which adenoids is the base for the bacteria so simple tonsillectomy may not work at all). However, even though the removal stop nasal bb we cannot remove our mouths or throats which is why the bb still persists. This is really interesting I wish we can all look at this more closely. Another member by the name of George on this site was tested for having this bacteria all in his nasal cavity and mouth. All bacteria has a unique smell that most scientist can tell just by smelling it what it is. S.aureus smell is described as 'rancid'. Raise your hand if your breath is rancid. =;
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks for the info aeus.

My mum got tested for celiac disease a few years ago when she became ill. Her result was negative. We share the same doctor, so that's why my memory is now blurred and why I can't remember for certain what my results were. Tomorrow I'll ring and try to find out the results.

I wanted apologise to anyone who has already been on various diets and likely to have excluded gluten at some stage. I have very little knowledge or experience on diets and nutrition.

Arch I read today that it can literally take years in some cases for the gut lining to fully heal itself after cutting out gluten, not to mention the shift in the gut flora and the time that might take.

Has anyone else got a pregnant looking belly? If I stand in front of the mirror and let it all hang out I look pregnant with twins. Yet everywhere else I'm lean and muscular. I know a lot of people have big beer bellies and perfect breath, but I wonder whether they always had distended bellies - I certainly have. In their cases it's probably just gradual weakness of the abdominal muscles from doing nothing but watching Sky sports and being lazy beer guzzler types.

Shit4Breath, you may be right. Some people have described how they "caught" BB after kissing someone or sucking their feet or wherever. It could even be a viral cause.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

Shit4Breath wrote:We need to get real this bad breath is not caused by gluten sensitivy not to say that you don't have it.
When you are referring to gluten sensitivity what do you actually mean? All gluten-related problems? Celiac? Or not celiac, but instead gluten sensitivity (and other gluten sensivities?)?

Of course I don't know for sure what's the bad breath reason for each one of us - but if you really think that there's no connection between the bad breath of some people and gluten-related problems/diseases then I bet you are wrong.

It may be right that in your case bad breath has nothing to do with gluten, but this hasn't to be the case for everyone on this board.

If you are so sure about that bacteria - why don't you get tested for it? If you have it and you can persuade a doctor that it's pathogenic in your case you can get antibiotic treatment that's directed against this kind of bacteria. Of course there might be the problem of resistance - but it's worth a try. Some time after first treatment you should get a second swab test to make sure if the bacteria is gone or not.

By the way: After tonsillectomy my bad breath decrease quite fairly. How should my adenoids be removed - I think my ENT said I don't have Pharyngeal Tonsils. Usually only children have got them.



EDIT: Don't know if it's snakeoil: But rancid? http://theliberatedkitchenpdx.com/physi ... s-on-gaps/
Last edited by aues on Wed May 23, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

I look at lean people sometimes and see their flat belly and it makes me wonder how they have room for any guts. Why is mine so big? it can't be fat or because of muscle weakness because I generally don't have any fat and if I breathe in or try to squeeze my abdomen inwards it almost makes my eyes pop out, so it can't be muscular weakness, it's got to be because my intestines are enlarged and swollen.
User avatar
Shit4Breath
Advanced
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Post by Shit4Breath »

Aues
Gluten has nothing to do with bad breath in my opinion there are millions with gluten issues. A famous actress who i've seen on a talk show now has her own line of gluten free products because she was diagnosed with Celiac disease tyra Banks has IBS and is gluten senstive so why do millions of others with gluten issues not have bb but we do. Your right everyone is different but (in my opinion only) i don't believe this is the cause. Google keyword 'gluten bad breath' and the very top stories are of some who actually say they developed bad breath after going on a gluten free diet.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

Shit4Breath wrote:Aues
Gluten has nothing to do with bad breath in my opinion there are millions with gluten issues.
You wrote 20% of the population has this bacteria. So there are more than a billion people with this bacteria. But there aren't that many people with chronic bad breath like we have.
Shit4Breath wrote: Your right everyone is different but (in my opinion only) i don't believe this is the cause. Google keyword 'gluten bad breath' and the very top stories are of some who actually say they developed bad breath after going on a gluten free diet.
That's hilarious. I think finally the future has arrived. Google seems to deliver those results we want to get.
I've always read about such a scenario in technology magazines as horrific future version of google. Everyone gets more and more affirmation in his/her view of the world with the help of google. :mrgreen:

No to cut the funny part out: I did what you recommended and Google's top results seem to be mainly people saying that going gluten-free helped them to get rid of bad breath respectively articles which link eating gluten products to bad breath.

For example here's another person who says that going gluten-free helped to get rid of the bad breath problem.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/a ... 91305.html


But don't argue to much about this topic. I'd like to get answers regarding my suggestion to just get rid of the bacteria you mentioned.
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

halitosisux wrote:I look at lean people sometimes and see their flat belly and it makes me wonder how they have room for any guts. Why is mine so big? it can't be fat or because of muscle weakness because I generally don't have any fat and if I breathe in or try to squeeze my abdomen inwards it almost makes my eyes pop out, so it can't be muscular weakness, it's got to be because my intestines are enlarged and swollen.
Ever tried a very low carb diet? That's the only time my stomach was near flat. The results came quick, like 2-3 weeks.
User avatar
Shit4Breath
Advanced
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Post by Shit4Breath »

Aues
as i stated there are several different types of this particular bacterium so 20% is a broad generalization of the class of S.aureus.

And maybe we have two different Googles :-k

Well, I'd love a response to this diet curing anyone here. Please everyone who was cured with gluten restricted diets flood this thread right now with your cure. Like I've stated this is just my opinion i'm not trying to convince you or anyone just throwing an idea around, take it or leave it. We have no idea what the ppl who were supposedly cured may have been taking along with this diet or just how severe their bb was. I still don't believe this is the answer for bb anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗