Fresh Breath - Cause Found - Mission Accomplished
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:33 am
Thank you Jimi,
After years of experimentation and finally developing effective technique - I’ve got my BB successfully under control. My first post was in 2007.
The culprit was improperly-cleaned, anaerobic pockets in my gums, between teeth, in folds & crypts in and around tonsils and throat, in my nasal passages, sinuses, and tongue.
I’m convinced that differences in the physical structure of each mouth predispose some of us to BB versus those without BB. Those without BB have few, or no quiescent pockets to harbor anaerobes.
Failure to clean each and every anaerobic pocket ensures the persistence of BB or speeds its return after daily hygiene routine, i.e. between teeth, adjacent to poorly erupted wisdom teeth, tonsil crypts, skin folds surrounding tonsils, ill-fastened crowns, between tongue papillae, nasal passages, and sinuses.
I have my tonsils. All of my wisdom teeth were removed decades ago and I’ve had very BB before and after the oral surgery.
Below I have summarized my daily routine, including the formerly, poorly-completed Step 6, that now when practiced properly, produces an excellent result.
Each morning:
1. I brush my teeth for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste using a manual toothbrush.
2. I gently brush my tongue with an old toothbrush with bristles that I’ve cut to half of their original height. The brush is wetted with water only. I use it for about 15 seconds.
3. I floss between all teeth, requires 1 to 2 minutes
4. I next employ oral irrigation using the high-velocity, jet-tip between each tooth and “walk” the tip along the inner & outer tooth/gumline top and bottom. During this step I use one full reservoir of warm water, 700 milliliters volume, with ¼ teaspoon of table salt and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in the water. This step has about a 2 minute duration, described here; however, I'm no longer using hydrogen peroxide. The first minute of irrigation produces a milky, cloudy outflow. These are the majority of microbial colonies being flushed away.
5. I then refill the oral irrigation reservoir with a second, 700 ml volume of warm water, containing the abovementioned amounts of salt and baking soda. During this step I use an irrigator-toothbrush tip to brush and irrigate the teeth, gums, and tongue using the first half of the solution. The exiting irrigation-solution is clearer now.
6. I then change to the tongue scraper tip to irrigate my tonsils and the surrounding skin folds includng the top and sides of the back of the throat, touching and moving over these regions, with the tip to ensure the flowing solution enters all folds and pockets. This continues until the reservoir is empty, described here. I now pass the Finkelstein finger test. Ruben's post seen here was key in providing the final clue. Locating, irrigating, and flushing-clean all anaerobic pockets is critical to obtaining a good result. In the past the result of this step had been hit-or-miss. Now, with complete cleansing of the entire area, the effective result is consistent.
Each night:
• I brush my teeth for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste using a manual toothbrush.
About once monthly:
• I perform Stage 2 nasal irrigation described here.
I use no mouthwash. I no longer use hydrogen peroxide. I take no antibiotics. I eat all foods cooked and/or raw, meat, dairy, eggs, starch, fruit and vegetables, bland and/or spicy.
I work in close proximity with colleagues. I'm sensing BB emanating from others. These are my friends and associates. I will help only if asked first. If my solution will work for them, ten minutes each morning may be all that is needed. For me, I had to discover where and how to clean.
After years of experimentation and finally developing effective technique - I’ve got my BB successfully under control. My first post was in 2007.
The culprit was improperly-cleaned, anaerobic pockets in my gums, between teeth, in folds & crypts in and around tonsils and throat, in my nasal passages, sinuses, and tongue.
I’m convinced that differences in the physical structure of each mouth predispose some of us to BB versus those without BB. Those without BB have few, or no quiescent pockets to harbor anaerobes.
Failure to clean each and every anaerobic pocket ensures the persistence of BB or speeds its return after daily hygiene routine, i.e. between teeth, adjacent to poorly erupted wisdom teeth, tonsil crypts, skin folds surrounding tonsils, ill-fastened crowns, between tongue papillae, nasal passages, and sinuses.
I have my tonsils. All of my wisdom teeth were removed decades ago and I’ve had very BB before and after the oral surgery.
Below I have summarized my daily routine, including the formerly, poorly-completed Step 6, that now when practiced properly, produces an excellent result.
Each morning:
1. I brush my teeth for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste using a manual toothbrush.
2. I gently brush my tongue with an old toothbrush with bristles that I’ve cut to half of their original height. The brush is wetted with water only. I use it for about 15 seconds.
3. I floss between all teeth, requires 1 to 2 minutes
4. I next employ oral irrigation using the high-velocity, jet-tip between each tooth and “walk” the tip along the inner & outer tooth/gumline top and bottom. During this step I use one full reservoir of warm water, 700 milliliters volume, with ¼ teaspoon of table salt and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in the water. This step has about a 2 minute duration, described here; however, I'm no longer using hydrogen peroxide. The first minute of irrigation produces a milky, cloudy outflow. These are the majority of microbial colonies being flushed away.
5. I then refill the oral irrigation reservoir with a second, 700 ml volume of warm water, containing the abovementioned amounts of salt and baking soda. During this step I use an irrigator-toothbrush tip to brush and irrigate the teeth, gums, and tongue using the first half of the solution. The exiting irrigation-solution is clearer now.
6. I then change to the tongue scraper tip to irrigate my tonsils and the surrounding skin folds includng the top and sides of the back of the throat, touching and moving over these regions, with the tip to ensure the flowing solution enters all folds and pockets. This continues until the reservoir is empty, described here. I now pass the Finkelstein finger test. Ruben's post seen here was key in providing the final clue. Locating, irrigating, and flushing-clean all anaerobic pockets is critical to obtaining a good result. In the past the result of this step had been hit-or-miss. Now, with complete cleansing of the entire area, the effective result is consistent.
Each night:
• I brush my teeth for 1 to 2 minutes with ordinary toothpaste using a manual toothbrush.
About once monthly:
• I perform Stage 2 nasal irrigation described here.
I use no mouthwash. I no longer use hydrogen peroxide. I take no antibiotics. I eat all foods cooked and/or raw, meat, dairy, eggs, starch, fruit and vegetables, bland and/or spicy.
I work in close proximity with colleagues. I'm sensing BB emanating from others. These are my friends and associates. I will help only if asked first. If my solution will work for them, ten minutes each morning may be all that is needed. For me, I had to discover where and how to clean.