Questions regarding possible causes
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm
My BB started around 12 years ago, when I was 18 years old. I have always suffered heavily from grass allergy and I was around that time treated with an injection of corticosteroids. Around that time I also started to use an asthma inhaler because of asthma-like symptoms in cold weather. The bad breath started a few months after I began using the inhaler, so I have always thought that the inhaler might have pulled the trigger.
I was in my final year of high school and became deeply depressed because of this and started to limit social activities. I read that the inhaler could cause fungus in the mouth, so that was what I thought initially caused it. In my desperation I went to 3-4 ENT doctors but none of them found any fungus in my mouth or any other possible solution. However I read back then, that wisdom teeths also could cause BB, so I had all of them removed. I also suffered from tonsil stones that smelled awful, so I also had the tonsils removed, which seemed to give a slight improvement, but I was no way cured.
I have had a fantastic girlfriend on and off for the past ten years, but she often said I had BB, and would sometimes ask if I had farted. I was glad that she was honest about it and made me aware of it, but little by little the disease ruined my self-esteem and made me even more depressed, which ultimately ended the relationship. I can’t blame her, as I imagine it must have been tough, being with me.
Therefore, when my girlfriend left me a few months ago, I thought I would devote all my focus to finding out the cause of this disease. This is how I found this site and I have spent hours searching for possible causes and cures. (Thank you all for posting your experiences)
I started to make a list of all the symptoms I have, that somehow might be related to my BB:
• White coating on tongue
• Sour taste from the back of the tongue
• Swollen red buds on the back of my tongue
• Dry mouth with thick saliva
• Smell from nose (The only odour I can smell myself, when I take a deep breath)
• Poor digestion (sometimes there can go 2 days between taking a dump)
• Weird foul smell from behind the ears
• A lot of burping after eating
• Frequent headaches
• Occasional heartburn
• The BB is worst the day after drinking alcohol. It is also worse than normal an hour or so after eating fatty or spicey food or right after I have exercised.
Based on these symptoms I think it might be somehow related to my digestion. I also thought it might be related to Candida overgrowth so I did the spit test, and the result showed I might be right, as the saliva made some very thick strings from the top to the bottom of the glass.
Therefore the first thing I did was to completely change my diet, so I have cut out all sugar, dairy, alcohol, high carps and all meat except chicken. Besides that I started to take different kind of supplements such as oregano oil, Pau D’arco tea, coconut oil, Manuka Honey, chlorophyll, grapefruit seed extract, enzymes to help digestion and probiotic capsules. The probiotic capsules really reduces the white coating when I empty the capsules directly on my tongue, but it doesn’t look like a permanent solution, as it returns if I don’t use it for a day. I’ve been using these things for a month and it has definitely improved my saliva, but I don’t feel it has helped much on my BB.
I had a gastroscopy to check for fungal overgrowth in my oesophageal and stomach, which came back negative. Instead the doctor said I have hiatal hernia, which I also thought was a plausible cause due to some of the symptoms.
Based on this, I have a few questions that I hope you might help me with.
Can I suffer from candida overgrowth even though it didn’t show up in the gastroscopy?
Can hiatal hernia really be the cause? I mean there must be something smelley inside the stomach that can benefit from the hiatal hernia, otherwise I guess everybody with hiatal hernia would suffer from BB?
I was given Omeprazol by the doctor to limit the stomach acid, but if it is my poor digestion that tributes to the BB, will I then possibly be making my BB worse by limiting the acid that helps to breaks down the food? I can easily live with the occasional heartburns and frequent burping, I just don’t want to make the BB worse.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I was in my final year of high school and became deeply depressed because of this and started to limit social activities. I read that the inhaler could cause fungus in the mouth, so that was what I thought initially caused it. In my desperation I went to 3-4 ENT doctors but none of them found any fungus in my mouth or any other possible solution. However I read back then, that wisdom teeths also could cause BB, so I had all of them removed. I also suffered from tonsil stones that smelled awful, so I also had the tonsils removed, which seemed to give a slight improvement, but I was no way cured.
I have had a fantastic girlfriend on and off for the past ten years, but she often said I had BB, and would sometimes ask if I had farted. I was glad that she was honest about it and made me aware of it, but little by little the disease ruined my self-esteem and made me even more depressed, which ultimately ended the relationship. I can’t blame her, as I imagine it must have been tough, being with me.
Therefore, when my girlfriend left me a few months ago, I thought I would devote all my focus to finding out the cause of this disease. This is how I found this site and I have spent hours searching for possible causes and cures. (Thank you all for posting your experiences)
I started to make a list of all the symptoms I have, that somehow might be related to my BB:
• White coating on tongue
• Sour taste from the back of the tongue
• Swollen red buds on the back of my tongue
• Dry mouth with thick saliva
• Smell from nose (The only odour I can smell myself, when I take a deep breath)
• Poor digestion (sometimes there can go 2 days between taking a dump)
• Weird foul smell from behind the ears
• A lot of burping after eating
• Frequent headaches
• Occasional heartburn
• The BB is worst the day after drinking alcohol. It is also worse than normal an hour or so after eating fatty or spicey food or right after I have exercised.
Based on these symptoms I think it might be somehow related to my digestion. I also thought it might be related to Candida overgrowth so I did the spit test, and the result showed I might be right, as the saliva made some very thick strings from the top to the bottom of the glass.
Therefore the first thing I did was to completely change my diet, so I have cut out all sugar, dairy, alcohol, high carps and all meat except chicken. Besides that I started to take different kind of supplements such as oregano oil, Pau D’arco tea, coconut oil, Manuka Honey, chlorophyll, grapefruit seed extract, enzymes to help digestion and probiotic capsules. The probiotic capsules really reduces the white coating when I empty the capsules directly on my tongue, but it doesn’t look like a permanent solution, as it returns if I don’t use it for a day. I’ve been using these things for a month and it has definitely improved my saliva, but I don’t feel it has helped much on my BB.
I had a gastroscopy to check for fungal overgrowth in my oesophageal and stomach, which came back negative. Instead the doctor said I have hiatal hernia, which I also thought was a plausible cause due to some of the symptoms.
Based on this, I have a few questions that I hope you might help me with.
Can I suffer from candida overgrowth even though it didn’t show up in the gastroscopy?
Can hiatal hernia really be the cause? I mean there must be something smelley inside the stomach that can benefit from the hiatal hernia, otherwise I guess everybody with hiatal hernia would suffer from BB?
I was given Omeprazol by the doctor to limit the stomach acid, but if it is my poor digestion that tributes to the BB, will I then possibly be making my BB worse by limiting the acid that helps to breaks down the food? I can easily live with the occasional heartburns and frequent burping, I just don’t want to make the BB worse.
Any help would be much appreciated.