Your Email Address:

First Name:

Backdraft

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
oceanside
Master

Backdraft

Post by oceanside »

hungrygirl wrote:How do they do it?

I know and have met lots of people with bb and i've been thinking lately how others interacted with these individuals so we can see some examples.

My 1st longterm boyfriend had it pritty bad, wasnt constant but would say 50% of the time and it was fecal, you could smell it from a meter about. He however had lots of good friends, he was social, loved going out and dancing and no one ever misstreated him.

Another friend of mine had it so bad, that when i picked him up in my car and he opened the car door from outside the smell hit me so bad that i wanted to kill him. That was from his mouth, nose, probably from hes ears too, terrible. He is very hadsome and the girls love him.

I have a pupil, she has bb, sometimes quite sitty, other times ... She also has a boyfriend for 4 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hungrygirl, I think you brought up a very important piece of fact. Forgive me for using your post but it's important.

Let me just throw out this bit of observation..., there has been about five people in my life that I too, thought they had halitosis b/c I could clearly smell/detect repulsive odor from them, and only exclusively from them. My former boss, former coworker, current coworker, and a former college dorm mate.

It puzzled me. But the more I closely observed their interations with other people, it finally dawned on me that somehow the chemical make up from their oral flora, perhaps minor suphur compounds due to gingivitis, ect, mixed with my odor produced a chemical reaction that undeniable digusting. It dawned on me that I was smelling my own odor breathed back to me/backdraft when they spoke to me. What a cruel revelation.

I observed my ex-boss during meetings with others, engaged in face to face conversations, throughout the day and no one reacted to him. He has three kids and a beautiful wife. It finally struck me that somehow, with some people, my odor can be deflected back to me, and he was one of them. He was a dynamic, ambitious man who climbed the ladder of success in the company that I used to work for. I could have been as successful as he, however, (gee I forgot) I have chronic halitosis and he didn't.

My ex college dorm mate is another example. I hated smelling his halitosis during those two years sharing the same dorm with him. He would snick in girls and do the "nasty" ect. I thought how the heck these girls were cluesless of his bad breath? Well several years later (today) I have the answer. It was my odor that was breathe back into my face by him and he wasn't a chronic sufferer like me. He commented about me having BB many times. Believe me, at that time I wanted to say, dude you're the one with bad breath. I am glad I didn't get in his face b/c he probably wld've used the toilet plunger on my mouth.

A chemical reaction mixed w my suphur odor breath and thiers will produce instint halitosis noxous gas; what a cruel revelation.

A while ago a member from China reported that she can smell bad breath of people riding in the same train and bus with her. She said that so many people had bad breath in China. Perhaps this is the exact phononmena that I, and a few of us, had encountered when we catch a whiff of odor from people whom we percieved had bad breath while standing at the check-out line in the supermarket, or talking to a cashier, or in a room where the air is still, warm and dry. These are the perfect temperature/environment when I detect backdraft. Not very often but enought times to remind me that..., you know.

I was no longer in "denial" after this cruel truth. Particularly my ex-boss b/c this example is the most recent so I can be more objective with the observation. I thought he had the wors breath in the world, but now I realized it was mine.

Perhaps this phonomena is NOT such a bad thing as it allows some of us a "live" person to gauge our BB, a person we can detect odor from w/o having to ask someone to smell our breath. I also gave the example of my current Italian co/worker and friend. I can detect my odor from her as well.

I believe chronic sufferers encounter this phononmena often. However, for me everytime this happens I just want to crawl under a rock and hide.

john-
Last edited by oceanside on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

he's actually one of those people who seems to be completely oblivious about his condition, and he's one of the most happy guys i i know. everybody loves him, even if you've just met him for 5 mins. whenever he's not around, he's always tlaked about with such love.

but i'm quite sure he has bb.

i don't get it. it just makes me so paranoid about me being a superbug spreader.

anyone relates?

No..., this is NOT about questioning you. Your post merely supported my own personal experience. And you don't have to worry about anyone, particularly me, questioning you, ok? Don't worry about anyone questioning, or trying to prove you wrong b/c it was NOT my intention, ok. Please speak freely, express your point of views.

By the way, please don't tell your charming friend the truth about his BB; don't "crash" his party. Sometimes it's best to be in denial.

Again, anytime a members shares a thought, opinion, ect, the goal of this site is supporting, encouraging, and exploring new interventions, stepping outside of the box for answers, clearifying assumptions, ect. We are NOT here to bash, shame, humuliate, or beraved anyone.

john-
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Hi wfr,

Do you see the kind of reactions on the other person's faces when your friend is talkin to them. I mean the ones you usually get? He's probably one of those persons who doesn't give a ****. I wish I could do that lol.
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

hi john,

this is weird, most of my post has disappeared, and where i had posted, it seems that's where your reply is now. so what you wrote was in the box where it says my screename.

do you know what happened?

and i'm not planning on telling my friend about his bb at all. there's no point. i want him to keep being the way he is.
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Busted wrote:Hi wfr,

Do you see the kind of reactions on the other person's faces when your friend is talkin to them. I mean the ones you usually get? He's probably one of those persons who doesn't give a ****. I wish I could do that lol.
no, not really. but i really am quite sure that he has fecal breath. it stays the same every time i see him. plus he told me how someone he worked with asked him if he could smell "garlic". you know how normal people use garlic to describe all kinds of bb sometimes. i've heard it so much. and he was all indignant about it, because he hated the other person's cologne. so he was like i can't believe he said that to me, as if he took it as a sign that the other person was saying that he smelled.
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

waitingforrelief wrote:he's actually one of those people who seems to be completely oblivious about his condition, and he's one of the most happy guys i i know. everybody loves him, even if you've just met him for 5 mins. whenever he's not around, he's always tlaked about with such love.

i don't get it. it just makes me so paranoid about me being a superbug spreader.

anyone relates?

No..., this is NOT about questioning you. Your post merely supported my own personal experience. And you don't have to worry about anyone, particularly me, questioning you, ok? Don't worry about anyone questioning, or trying to prove you wrong b/c it was NOT my intention, ok. Please speak freely, express your point of views.

By the way, please don't tell your charming friend the truth about his BB; don't "crash" his party. Sometimes it's best to be in denial.

Again, anytime a members shares a thought, opinion, ect, the goal of this site is supporting, encouraging, and exploring new interventions, stepping outside of the box for answers, clearifying assumptions, ect. We are NOT here to bash, shame, humuliate, or beraved anyone.

john-
also John, I don't quite understand why you brought up the bashing. Did you interpret my post to be bashing yours? I really hope not because it was only written in a spirit of sharing and i was just expressing this constant doubt and paranoia in my head which sometimes makes me feel like i'm crazy.

i hope that my post was not deleted...?
oceanside
Master

Post by oceanside »

waitingforrelief wrote:hi john,

this is weird, most of my post has disappeared, and where i had posted, it seems that's where your reply is now. so what you wrote was in the box where it says my screename.

do you know what happened?

and i'm not planning on telling my friend about his bb at all. there's no point. i want him to keep being the way he is.
HI.
I quoted you but accidently erased your message. I am sorry. And it's best not to rain down on your friend's reality. What's the point?

I hope you are well, WFR.

john
hungrygirl
Advanced

Post by hungrygirl »

When i say i know many people with bb its not because there are so many, but because i meet many people.
My jobs in the past 19 years were always about meeting new people, every day. So between all those people i bound to find some with bb.

Now, my job is to sit in a car with different people all day and talk. Sometimes i catch a smell for a second or less and that is with those who has no bb. Yes, you are right, that can be me.
But other times its clear its them, cos how is it its always with the same individuals and they always have the same smell? And i can tell what smell is that, tonsilstone, sinus, bad theet. Or sometimes the young ones come to me directly from bed in the moring and then its clearly morning breath.

It sounds like i am in denial now, but actually im going trough the process of discovering that i might not have bad breath at all by asking others.

But the main point of that post was to start some positive thinking, that even if you have a bad bb, life doesnt stop and people can still respect you and like you if you deserve it every other way.

So lets suppose all that stinky breath that i detect from others is mine, then i'm the best example of that.

I have never been mistreated because of bb, i have never lost a job because of that, it had never stopped me to get better and better jobs even.
Im very outgoing and social to this day i make new friends all the time, i have never lost a friend because of bb.
Im also very popular amongst man although i dont let them kiss me a lot, which annoys them and if i kiss with a chewing gum in my mouth they normally insist that i throw it out.

So to the point, one way or the other, life can still be good, take your chances!

And John, it maybe was them ;)!
oceanside
Master

Post by oceanside »

Hi,

You are absolutely right. The point of our lives are to live as best as we can. I too, have not lose one friend due to my odor. I am very fortunate to be loved/liked by those around me b/c of who I am and NOT how I smell, or can't help smelling.

And, darn it, the people I mentioned are NOT sufferers, though I really was hoping I wasn't the only one stinking up the place and it was them. But the noses of other people don't lie.

Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone had encounters with Backdraft?
hungrygirl
Advanced

Post by hungrygirl »

I do like the definition! :)
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Ok, so i'll try to rewrite at least some of my post then.

i was saying that i can usually discern different people's bb, good breath. i can tell who has chronic halitosis, and how they each have their own odor. (i know about 4 ppl with chronic bb.) i can smell how someone's breath is always fresh as a baby's ass, ;) others who tend to get stale breath after they haven't talked for a while, etc...

i have a friend who has strong fecal breath. and i'm pretty sure that it's him. and everytime i talk to him close up, he offers me mint. one time we were standing in line in a restaurant talking to each other, with another friend standing between us, (poor girl, but she didn't react at all. she's one of those who doesn't react much.) the odor hung in the air so heavy smelling sooooo bad. the mixture of both of our odors was nothing less than deadly.

then, he offered me a mint strip.

i was so embarrassed. he always offeres me something when we talk up close. i mean i know that i have bb, but i know (or think anyway) that it's him as well. i smell him whenever he talks, but even when he's not facing me. but it definitely comes out when he opens his mouth. i'm sure he thinks that my bb is even more deadly than what it actually is, because he's smelling HIS breath mixed with mine.

he's actually one of those people who seems to be completely oblivious about his condition, and he's one of the most happy guys i know. everybody loves him, even if you've just met him for 5 mins. whenever he's not around, he's always tlaked about with such love.

i have another friend who also had bb. ( i say had because the last time i saw him, i couldn't smell him. whereas in the past, i always smelled him every time i saw him. and i know he had bb, because i've heard other people talk about it. now i wish i could ask him if he's done something to cure his bb, but we had a falling out. :()

anyway, he seemed totally unaware of his odor problem. ( he also had very strong body odor and sweated like mad even in the winter. he once stayed at my house and my couch kind of stank after he sat in it for a while. but when i saw him last, he didn't really smell either. he still had an odor, but i couldn't place it. it's nothing like how he used to smell before.) and he was also one of the most uninhibited people socially tha t i've ever known. he has no table manners, spits everywhere when he eats, gets right in your face when he talks to you (spitting on you too haha), is very affectionate even when he's drenched in sweat and stink. i could always smell him on my clothes after hanging out with him in the past.

and i'm not saying all this out of disrespect. that's really just how he was. i didn't love him less because of his odor, but i have to admit i was sometimes grossed out by his spitting everwhere and the sweat.

anyway, my question is what if one has their mouth closed, andstill smells bb from the other person, how could it be from oneself?

here's the thing -

i smell my own breath on my partner. i mean my breath changes its odor all the time. it's not just fecal, but a whole mixture of different things. and i always smell it exactly mirrored in my partner's breath. how bizarre is that! i thought that it's so improbable, esp. smelling it after a period of absence from each other, after all the changes in odor that i had myself experienced.

i started to think maybe it's myself that i'm smelling. but then again, i smell it even when I'm not the one talking and with my mouth completely closed.

i don't get it. it just makes me so paranoid about being a superbug spreader.

this post has ended up being a lot longer than the original. :) anyway, john, i'm doing fine, thanks. the mastic is providing me with some physical relief, but more importantly, mental relief.

hope you are well too.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Backdrafts!? Yeah for sure: sometimes I smell sulphurous breaths on other people, and am pretty sure it's me being able to detect my bb through theirs. I have more episode of the other phenomena you mentioned though: entering a place with a certain air quality (for example, elevators/lifts or train carriages, or stuffy rooms with little air) and the entire room stinking like shit/sewage. Also, similar things happen sometimes when someone's perfume to me smells like sulphurous shit or similar.

I guess basically that strong odours that enter my nasal cavity, is somehow amplifying my own bb so that I can briefly detect it, and yeah, it's a horrifying revelation :shock:
yogs

Post by yogs »

Anyone had encounters with Backdraft?
Yes. Its only when I talk to select few co-workers,frds, roomates that I can smell a odor whereas they talk in a normal way to others which makes me think that its my BB that mixes with their breath.
oceanside
Master

Post by oceanside »

waitingforrelief wrote:
anyway, my question is what if one has their mouth closed, andstill smells bb from the other person, how could it be from oneself?

i started to think maybe it's myself that i'm smelling. but then again, i smell it even when I'm not the one talking and with my mouth completely closed.

i don't get it. it just makes me so paranoid about being a superbug spreader.

the mastic is providing me with some physical relief, but more importantly, mental relief.

hope you are well too.
Hey WFR,
Well, I have to say that my BB also emits from exhaling through my nostrils. The fecal odor that I smell from my current Italian coworker is mine. One day when I was bending down staking books she approached me. I didn't say a word (as my mouth was completely closed) but listened to her, then I smelled fecal. Well, I held my breath so not to exhale. I cldn't smell anything. Then when I exhaled I smelled fecal again. It was a small room and the circulation was bad therefore the my odor lingered in the still air. Another coworker approaced us and I (assuming) cld see the reaction on her face. That's when I got up and left the room.

Hey, I am glad the mastic is helping your state of mind/peace of mind. That's what matters most.

I am looking so much forward to better days.

john
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

well, that's interesting. i have considered the possibility that it's me detecting my own odor from my nose or something. but it's so weird that i only smell it on my partner but not other people around me at all, and that it happens always, not just occasionally.

i'd be much happier to know that it's 100% from myself.

anybody else has an opinion on this?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic