Your Email Address:

First Name:

Monitoring Oral PH and Alkalizing Mouth

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
jamie09
Total Newbie

Monitoring Oral PH and Alkalizing Mouth

Post by jamie09 »

I believe monitoring oral ph and keeping the saliva within our mouths in an alkaline state (>7.0 PH) is the first step in removing this condition.

Plaques and bacteria flourish in acidic mouths as proven by science. It is crucial that all of us use litmus PH testing paper to test ph and find what effects our saliva to keep it in an alkaline state.

I have started with xylitol mints and gums to increase ph when my mouth gets acidic. It has left a thick clear coating on my tongue so far. I have observed its much better to prevent reaching acidic states then trying to fix an acidic state.

I also think its crucial to swallow foods that will put our throats in an alkaline state. (Put your finger in your throat and then rub it against the paper)

Dry mouths are acidic mouths and mouths with moist saliva
are alkaline state ( I have observed this)

Smoking and drinking obviously put our mouths and throats in an acidic state when it stinks the most. Therefore there also must be things that we can use to put our throats and mouths in an alkaline state.

constatntly Kill the bacteria and always maintain alkaline oral ph.

Please do this and continue searching.!

All the best!

---

I learned about this from a dentist

Dr. Ellie Phillips
http://askdrellie.blogspot.ca/search/label/alkaline

( still not sure about the listerine though)

How eating affects mouth pH

All the food we eat and the drinks we drink change mouth pH. Mouth pH can fluctuate wildly, from the strong acidity of citrus fruits, juices, and wines (pH 2.2 or lower) to the alkaline pH of chicken soup and salty nuts (pH 8.5 or higher).

--

Improving saliva pH

You can achieve improvement in saliva pH by making lifestyle and habit adjustments (reduce stress, exercise, sleep etc), and you can also influence saliva pH by selecting specific foods to eat, foods to help “alkalize” the body. As we digest foods, their by-products or nutrients are absorbed into our body. Not all food provides good nutrients, and some create acidic by-products that work against us. Most experts agree we need at least 80% of our daily foods to be the kind that help us maintain a neutral or alkaline body pH.

---

You are correct : granular xylitol dissolved in water is neutral. The alkaline effect of xylitol results from xylitol stimulating a flow of ALKALINE SALIVA to flow into the mouth. The benefit of xylitol is that it not only makes the mouth alkaline, but this saliva contains minerals that repair and strengthen teeth. Tooth remineralization occurs best at the pH of this stimulated saliva! So xylitol creates an environment in balance with pH and healing minerals to flow around teeth! (both produced naturally by the body).

This alkaline saliva is stimulated from cells in the roof of the mouth so this occurs for patients who do not otherwise have good saliva from regular salivary glands. This is an interesting question because some people get concerned that xylitol is going to make their stomachs too alkaline etc. This is not how xylitol works.

In addition, xylitol has its antibacterial effect on acid producing bacteria that damage teeth, our gums and our health. These acid producing bacteria live at a pH of around 5 – 6.5 and they are the sticky and form layers of plaque. Xylitol inactivates these bacteria reducing their ability to produce acids and their ability to “glue” to teeth. This is how xylitol cuts down the acidity in plaque and reduces the quantity of plaque on teeth. With less plaque in the mouth – there is less generalized mouth acidity.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

"Alkalizing" the body is psudo nonsense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid%E2%80 ... omeostasis
As stated in the above link, if (for whatever reason) your body's internal pH fluctuates even slightly out of it's range, death may occur.

But in the digestive tract that might be a different story. If you read in that above link, it says enzymes lose their ability to function if the pH is outside the normal range. In some digestive issues the acidity in the intestine could be out of normal range. That could be why some diets help with BB, because they allow certain enzymes to function more effectively.

Xylitol has been discussed a lot on here in various threads. It seems to be helpful in reducing plaque and reducing BB that gets produced in the mouth and throat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic