THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Maxillary Sinus

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Maxillary Sinus

Post by Born To Suffer »

Since this no longer involves tonsillectomy I decided to start a new thread.

I have found my problem, it's the maxillary sinus!!
Wisdoms out, tonsils out, next: cleaning out the maxillary sinus.

I went to the ENT today, got a CT scan, got the results also.
I went in complaining that the left side is infected, when the CT scan showed the RIGHT SIDE being infected. What a shock. The left side showed slight mucosal thickening.
Half the right maxillary sinus is pus filled!!
So I have booked for Tuesday to undergo another surgery.

Frontal sinus is okay.

It said that I have a deviated septum, the ENT didn't say anything about it, so I was wondering if I should corrected it as well? I mean I don't want to go through another bloody surgery. Dunno if it will give me trouble in the future.

Thank goodness I live in a country where I can visit any doctor the very same week. Those who have to wait a few months, I feel your pain.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
User avatar
FedUp
God
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Post by FedUp »

I'm glad you went!

Are you from the UK?

So wow you got the results the same day?

I'm still waiting for my scan but I'm excited (ironically) to find out if there's anything up there.

For the past few days I've been tasting shitty/cheesey PND.

I could smell my own breath (that same smell). Spat out some clear mucus and the smell went.

This may be it for you! I'd get the deviated septum sorted also just to be sure.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Born To Suffer »

@FedUp, thanks for the push to visit the ENT, really appreciate it.

Nope not from the UK!! Too overpopulated.
I live in a small country, and yes I got the results in the same day, had to wait like 1 hour for it. Why is yours taking so long?

I did the full in-depth scan. I did ask about MRI, but the ENT said it was for brain tumours or something.

Funny thing is that my breath doesn't freshen up after brushing. It freshens up after a nasal rinse. Hm... no wonder, I have a bloody swamp buried in my cheeks. That's the reason why the right side of my face keeps getting flare ups...bloody infested swamp.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
User avatar
FedUp
God
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Post by FedUp »

It's taking so long because healthcare is free in the UK so waiting times occur.


Do you ever feel pressure in your face? Any aches or pains?

Is your mucus always different colours?

I'm just confused about my situation because my mucus is always clear but can taste horrid cheese back there at times.

Just yesterday I did a nasal rinse with salt and through my right nostril I got the worst stench of shit bust through.

It's always through my right nostril too that I can smell this shit.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Born to suffer, what surgery will your ENT perform on you?

There's some really good threads on here discussing chronic sinusitis if you want to look those up. I think biofilm formation in the sinuses is the key for many people on this forum with nasal odour. Biofilm will absolutely stink, and it's very hard to get rid of by the methods used to deal with acute sinusitis (which doesn't involve biofilm formation), which will usually clear by itself as long as the sinuses have been able to drain.

Lots of different research into chronic sinusitis has concluded that it always involves biofilm formation, and that's why antibiotics don't work, because the biofilm is able to defend against them (because the dosage is too low and too short duration to have any effect).

It probably explains why sinus irrigation makes such a huge difference for most people who try it, but then wears off as it probably makes the biofilm even worse.

I think the sneezing-odour phenomenon is all related too.
(Google sneezing odour)
Youz123
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 am

Post by Youz123 »

@FedUp

Did you have your tonsils or all of your wisdom teeth removed before? Did it help with your BB at all with getting each removed? Reply plz.
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

Wouldn't you have painful symptoms if your sinus were infected? Fever, ache, feelings of pressure, etc?

Good luck with the surgery.
User avatar
FedUp
God
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Post by FedUp »

Youz123 wrote:@FedUp

Did you have your tonsils or all of your wisdom teeth removed before? Did it help with your BB at all with getting each removed? Reply plz.
I still got all four wisdom teeth, one is partially erupted (bottom right). No pain or anything from it.

My nasal odour is ten times stronger than breath odour as I get bad reactions if I nose breathe.

I had my tonsils removed and there was improvement definitely.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Youz123
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 am

Post by Youz123 »

@FedUp, did your nasal BB get 10 times worse from removing your tonsils or wisdom teeth? Or was it always bad.

I also got all 4 wisdom teeth but my top right one is partially erupted and every time i breathe/swallow i get a foul odor coming out of my nose as if it was the same odor at my back tounge. Im having that teeth remove in 2 weeks. I highly suggest you start observing your wisdom teeth. I get so nervous breathing or talking near people.
User avatar
FedUp
God
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Post by FedUp »

It was awful through my nose before Ii discovered I had BB. Room filling isn't the word. A colleague actually thought I hadn't wiped my ass in 4 days it was that bad. I sometimes can catch a whiff if im alone breathing my nose and it's an awful shitty boggy stench.

I've been cleaning my tongue alot more thoroughly lately. But still white tongue comes back. I can sometimes taste shitty PND so there's definitely got to be something going on up there.

People have been getting close to me lately to my surprise. Not backing off, coughing or sniffing up. They was standing right over me helping with my computer, I was holding my breath and thought ***k it, I let it out and was expecting "HAVE YOU FARTED?" but no reaction. Maybe me mouth odour isn't that bad any more I don't know, but I do know my nasal odour can prompt my friends to ask me if I shit my pants. I'd get that tooth looked at if possible man, some guy cured his nasal odor by extracting wisdom teeth, here's his story.

viewtopic.php?t=1358&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If my CT scan yields all clear then I'm definitely going to look into wisdom teeth. There's just one partially erupted tooth that doesn't cause me problems, I got a slight sulphur smell from the gum around it a few times but I think I wasn't brushing back there properly.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Youz123
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 am

Post by Youz123 »

Yeah I read that guys post over 10 times after he said wisdom cured him.

I originally thought it was my tonsils and I was literally just 2 weeks frm getting an appointment to get it removed before i checked and saw my top right wisdom is erupted. But when i touch my tonsils nd my wisdom, they both have the same bad odor small like feet.

Im gonna get the erupted one out first. Wait 9 months for my insurance policy so i can claim to get the other 3 removed. My stupid insurance has a 12 month stand down time and I only got health insurance 2 months ago -.-.

Idk if my tonsils cause my BB. Did your BB improse how many % after you had your tonsils removed? Thanks
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Born To Suffer »

@ Fedup, nope I do not have any pain, the ENT pressed my face several times to check for pain, but nothing.
And yes my mucus is always different, yellow-brown-green, the ENT said " please don't say blue" lol, after I told him.
I really think you have an infection. Hopefully your CT will show something.
Even though I've been doing the nasal rinse like crazy, there are some places that the water can't reach and can't clean. Surgery would be the only option.

@halitosisux, to be honest I don't really know~~ The ENT didn't really specify, every time I try to get an in depth answer he just seems to brush it off. He did say something like "widening a hole and letting the mucus drain". I have a deviated septum, and he didn't bother to mention it, I had to bring it up and tell him to fix it.
Well he wasn't too pleased about me knowing too much, seemed to be a bit offended.
what is the difference between biofilm vs pus vs cyst?
Why does nasal odor vary from person to person? Some can smell poo, while others fishy odour, smelly feet, cat urine?
I don't seem to have a problem with nose breathing. The smell escapes through the mouth.
Sinus irrigation improves my odour, doesn't make it worse. Seems like I have a lot to learn before going into surgery.


@Archimonde, I don't have painful symptoms, however, when I wake up in the morning I do get pressure on the left side of my face. The sphenoid sinus is infected, which is near the left ear. Dunno if the ENT will be able to clean that far.

Well this is my very very last hope. Been to the hospital so many times this past year that it now seems to be my second home. Oh good Lord, have mercy on me.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Pus is exudate that occurs when you have infected tissue. An abscess is trapped pus. It's produced by your immune system in response to infection.

Cysts are like benign tissue growths or tumours (I think).

Biofilm is basically a structure that bacteria build as a physical defense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

There's lots that could be going on in the sinuses if bad smells are coming from the nose.

I used to know a lot about chronic sinusitis because my mum suffered with it for decades. She had numerous operations to try to help her. I still don't know what caused her problems. She had LOTS of clear PND that often made her gag because it was so bad. It was never coloured. She had BB all her life too, but she didn't look after her teeth very well so it was probably just that. She had nasal polyps which were surgically removed. She also had her sinuses washed out a number of times. She had none of the classical symptoms of sinusitis except for the PND.

I think if I suffered with nasal odours I'd be trying various combinations of antibiotics and antifungals dissolved into the liquid used for irrigations.

Antibiotics taken systemically are generally ineffective against sinusitis, even for acute sinusitis. What's required is sinus aspiration and drainage. Chronic sinusitis is completely different to acute sinusitis. Once it takes hold, and the longer it has done so, the harder it is to reverse.
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Born To Suffer »

@halitosisux, thanks for the info.
On the xray it said I suffer from chronic sinusitis. Would cleaning the maxillary sinus have any effect on me?
Well if this doesn't work then I'm guessing I have TMAU.
What a pitiful life. Well at least the odour is more bearable now.

I don't know what % I'm at right now. I don't really smell anything, but I still notice people reacting around me. I don't know if my nose has gotten used to the smell or what. Whenever I eat processed food, it gets worse.
I think my body has an inability to digest processed food.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

YW.. this is why I sometimes wonder whether "sinus" irrigation actually manages to do much inside the sinuses. I may be wrong, but as far as I understand, the sinus openings are tiny, and on a person with a deviated septum these openings are often completely blocked off for certain periods of time (if not ALL the time). I can't imagine anything but a trickle getting into the sinuses. Irrigations probably help because they clean out the main nasal passages - which if the sinuses are releasing anything foul smelling, will lead to the nasal passages smelling too. My mum's ENT specifically said he "washed out the sinuses" which to me says he must have injected fluids directly through the sinus openings during her operations. Intermittent BB could be occuring whenever the sinus manages to be open and aspirating.

I would keep pushing with your ENT. Try to find out what the underlying cause is for your chronic sinusitis and see what can be done about it. Everything that has happened in your history may all relate together. You've dealt with everything else (which may have initiated the chronic sinusitis) so treatment to deal with that now may be possible (or at least be controllable). You've improved a lot already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗