I'm a College Student Dealing with this Condition
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 pm
Hi everyone. I've been roaming these boards for a while but figured I should finally make an account. I'm a sophomore in college who is very annoyed with this condition. It's not easy when you constantly have to sit near and talk to students and teachers. All I ever think about is "Does my breath stink?" and I observe the reactions of others carefully. I've told my boyfriend to let me know when my breath stinks (luckily he is ok with me having this problem and still loves me). Anyways, I'm going to tell you guys the kind of bad breath I have and the things I've tried to cure it.
My breath only stinks when I exhale out of my mouth. I've never gotten any reactions when breathing out of my nose. There is an exception though. In one class, the girl next to me would always exhale out through her nose really hard (as if trying to blowing away the odor) whenever I would do an inside yawn (my throat and tonsils would flex, but I would keep my mouth closed to not kill anyone in the room). She did this strong exhale every single time I did this inside yawn.
I chew gum constantly to cover up the smell. I've actually had great results with gum. I always chew sugar-free and make sure I'm stocked up on it. I'm pretty sure I just have a bacteria imbalance or something because gum works even when the flavor is gone. I get little to no reactions when I'm chewing it and my boyfriend does not let me know that my breath stinks when I'm chewing it either. I'm guessing the flow of saliva that comes with chewing gum helps to keep the bad breath down.
I got my tonsils removed in December hoping that it would cure my halitosis but it sadly did not. I had been dealing with tonsils stones ever since I could remember. I clearly remember coughing them up as a kid and not knowing what they were until I got to college. Ironically, it wasn't until college that my breath got really bad. After three semesters of dealing with it, I finally got a tonsillectomy. I had a speedy recovery surprisingly and for a few days I felt like I had fresh breath. My breath started getting bad again, however, but I feel like there was an improvement. My morning breath is also not as bad as before, although that could also be attributed to the fact that I am now brushing at night simply for oral hygiene reasons.
Here is a list of things I plan on experimenting with to see if any can help reduce my bad breath:
* Drink more water and maybe green tea.
* Get back to my oral hygiene routine that I lost hope on when my tonsils were giving me horrendous breath (brushing, flossing, tongue scraper, alcohol-free mouthwash)
* Get on a diet that includes more fruits and vegetables and giving up as many processed foods and dairy products as possible.
* Use my neti pot regularly (maybe once a week). I don't want to use it too much though because I heard doing it too much can be bad for the body.
* Take multivitamins (perhaps I'm lacking in a specific vitamin or maybe I'm just malnourished in general and need a nutrition boost).
Wish me luck guys! I'll be doing the above experiments throughout the semester and I'll keep you updated.
My breath only stinks when I exhale out of my mouth. I've never gotten any reactions when breathing out of my nose. There is an exception though. In one class, the girl next to me would always exhale out through her nose really hard (as if trying to blowing away the odor) whenever I would do an inside yawn (my throat and tonsils would flex, but I would keep my mouth closed to not kill anyone in the room). She did this strong exhale every single time I did this inside yawn.
I chew gum constantly to cover up the smell. I've actually had great results with gum. I always chew sugar-free and make sure I'm stocked up on it. I'm pretty sure I just have a bacteria imbalance or something because gum works even when the flavor is gone. I get little to no reactions when I'm chewing it and my boyfriend does not let me know that my breath stinks when I'm chewing it either. I'm guessing the flow of saliva that comes with chewing gum helps to keep the bad breath down.
I got my tonsils removed in December hoping that it would cure my halitosis but it sadly did not. I had been dealing with tonsils stones ever since I could remember. I clearly remember coughing them up as a kid and not knowing what they were until I got to college. Ironically, it wasn't until college that my breath got really bad. After three semesters of dealing with it, I finally got a tonsillectomy. I had a speedy recovery surprisingly and for a few days I felt like I had fresh breath. My breath started getting bad again, however, but I feel like there was an improvement. My morning breath is also not as bad as before, although that could also be attributed to the fact that I am now brushing at night simply for oral hygiene reasons.
Here is a list of things I plan on experimenting with to see if any can help reduce my bad breath:
* Drink more water and maybe green tea.
* Get back to my oral hygiene routine that I lost hope on when my tonsils were giving me horrendous breath (brushing, flossing, tongue scraper, alcohol-free mouthwash)
* Get on a diet that includes more fruits and vegetables and giving up as many processed foods and dairy products as possible.
* Use my neti pot regularly (maybe once a week). I don't want to use it too much though because I heard doing it too much can be bad for the body.
* Take multivitamins (perhaps I'm lacking in a specific vitamin or maybe I'm just malnourished in general and need a nutrition boost).
Wish me luck guys! I'll be doing the above experiments throughout the semester and I'll keep you updated.