Some New Developments...
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 pm
Hello everyone. Hope you're all doing well.
Instead of telling you my whole story, I'll give you concise bullet points as to not waste your time.
Just to give you guys an idea of the type of BB I have. No matter how much I brush and floss, I still have that distinctive fecal odor coming from the back of my throat. I don't have odor coming from my nose.
1. BB since hit puberty - now 24 years old.
2. Growing up in a third world country, I never really focused much on oral hygiene until I came to the US.
3. A couple of years ago, I got so fed up with the embarrassment that I decided to do something about it.
4. Talked to my GI doctor about possible gastrointestinal causes. Took omeprazole for heartburn/indigestion - NOTHING. Then I did an upper-tract endoscopy where they looked at my throat and stomach - NOTHING. I did a test for H.Pylori - NOTHING.
5. Got a professional deep cleaning at UCSF - the odor in my mouth improved about 2% I'd say, but that same distinctive odor was still present.
6. Went and saw an ENT specialist. Did a nasal endoscopy where they look at your nasal passageways, sinuses, and down your throat. She said she didn't see anything irregular - other than the fact that I have a deviated septum on my ride side.
7. Second visit to ENT a month later, I told her nothing improved. She prescribed me a 10-day Metronidazole regimen.
8. Before starting my 10-day regimen, I started taking very concentrated probiotics (Dr. Ohirra's professional formula) - as was recommended to me by my GI doctor.
10. I started my Metronidazole on a Wednesday evening. That night after I brushed my teeth and flossed, I noticed there was a very slight change in the odor - it was weaker!
11. The next day, I woke up with very little BB. After I brushed my teeth that morning, my mouth was completely odorless. The only taste I had in my mouth was, was a metallic taste that was a side effect of Metronidazole.
12. For those 10 days, I had some of THE BEST days of my life in recent memory. I absolutely LOVED being able to talk to my fiancee, friends, and family face to face. I was finally able to be myself - a happy social person! Even my friends and family noticed the change in my personality.
13. Two weeks ago, I ended my 10-day regimen. By the following day, I could start to feel that same taste and odor coming back ever so slightly.
14. As time went by, that same distinctive odor has been increasing very gradually. Present day - it's still not as strong as it used to be.
15. I emailed my ENT and told her the odor is coming back gradually. She said wait a couple of weeks, and if it goes back to that baseline, then she will put me on a 3-week Metronidazole course.
16. LASTLY, in my last visit with my ENT a couple of weeks ago, she did another nasal endoscopy on me. This time, she went a little farther than before and told me that my adenoids are slightly inflamed.
When I came home that day, I did a little research and apparently, one of the PRIMARY side effects of an inflamed/enlarged adenoids is BAD BREATH.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002615/
My question to you guys is - Have you had your adenoids checked?
Instead of telling you my whole story, I'll give you concise bullet points as to not waste your time.
Just to give you guys an idea of the type of BB I have. No matter how much I brush and floss, I still have that distinctive fecal odor coming from the back of my throat. I don't have odor coming from my nose.
1. BB since hit puberty - now 24 years old.
2. Growing up in a third world country, I never really focused much on oral hygiene until I came to the US.
3. A couple of years ago, I got so fed up with the embarrassment that I decided to do something about it.
4. Talked to my GI doctor about possible gastrointestinal causes. Took omeprazole for heartburn/indigestion - NOTHING. Then I did an upper-tract endoscopy where they looked at my throat and stomach - NOTHING. I did a test for H.Pylori - NOTHING.
5. Got a professional deep cleaning at UCSF - the odor in my mouth improved about 2% I'd say, but that same distinctive odor was still present.
6. Went and saw an ENT specialist. Did a nasal endoscopy where they look at your nasal passageways, sinuses, and down your throat. She said she didn't see anything irregular - other than the fact that I have a deviated septum on my ride side.
7. Second visit to ENT a month later, I told her nothing improved. She prescribed me a 10-day Metronidazole regimen.
8. Before starting my 10-day regimen, I started taking very concentrated probiotics (Dr. Ohirra's professional formula) - as was recommended to me by my GI doctor.
10. I started my Metronidazole on a Wednesday evening. That night after I brushed my teeth and flossed, I noticed there was a very slight change in the odor - it was weaker!
11. The next day, I woke up with very little BB. After I brushed my teeth that morning, my mouth was completely odorless. The only taste I had in my mouth was, was a metallic taste that was a side effect of Metronidazole.
12. For those 10 days, I had some of THE BEST days of my life in recent memory. I absolutely LOVED being able to talk to my fiancee, friends, and family face to face. I was finally able to be myself - a happy social person! Even my friends and family noticed the change in my personality.
13. Two weeks ago, I ended my 10-day regimen. By the following day, I could start to feel that same taste and odor coming back ever so slightly.
14. As time went by, that same distinctive odor has been increasing very gradually. Present day - it's still not as strong as it used to be.
15. I emailed my ENT and told her the odor is coming back gradually. She said wait a couple of weeks, and if it goes back to that baseline, then she will put me on a 3-week Metronidazole course.
16. LASTLY, in my last visit with my ENT a couple of weeks ago, she did another nasal endoscopy on me. This time, she went a little farther than before and told me that my adenoids are slightly inflamed.
When I came home that day, I did a little research and apparently, one of the PRIMARY side effects of an inflamed/enlarged adenoids is BAD BREATH.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002615/
My question to you guys is - Have you had your adenoids checked?