Page 1 of 1

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 am
by halitosisux
So if a person with type-4 bloodborne halitosis gave a blood sample to another person to smell, they should be able to smell the odour in the blood if any is present?

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 pm
by Born To Suffer
Yep I can confirm that there is an odour present. Been doing a saline irrigation, sometimes I get blood when I sneeze out, don't know if it's from the surgery or an infection present. So I leave the blood on the sink to dry for a few hours, took a sniff, and it has a fishy odour. Brown blood btw.

But "fresh red" blood smells metallic, normal blood smell.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:01 pm
by FedUp
Popped a spot on my back last night, smells like regular blood thankfully.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
by halitosisux
I think you have to let someone else smell the blood because the blood gasses will normally be passing out through your nose and you won't be able to smell them if your nose has become familiar to the odours.

In tracheotomized animals they'll no longer have the blood gasses passing from their lungs into their nose, so it becomes possible to "stimulate olfactor receptors" - whatever that actually means - once they've been tracheotomized.

Fresh blood is best I guess, not from spots or nasal bleeding.

I have read this before, where blood can smell bad when some people have had systemic odour.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:46 pm
by FedUp
I see what you're saying halitosissux. Though I don't have body odor, my clothes never smell of anything other than my deoderant and washing powder.

I usually smell a shirt a while after I've taken it off to get that "first impression" smell.

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 pm
by halitosisux
But if the same odour is on your clothing, you wouldn't be able to smell that either, for the same reason you wouldn't be able to smell it in your blood.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 am
by Born To Suffer
Here are my 2cents.

Trust me, just let your blood sit on the sink for a couple of hours. Go out for the day, get some fresh air, and when you come back you can actually smell the foulness.

Testing blood on different parts of the body really yields different results, of course I know everyone's case is different. One of my wisdoms was badly impacted, the blood discharging from it was BLACK and smelly, but that doesn't mean that the rest of my blood is like that.
If an infection is present, it can eat away your healthy blood as it passes through.
This is why it's important to find out if
A. healthy blood is being processed into foul blood or
B. If there is already a problem with your blood as it travels around the body.

But doing the nasal rinse, assures me that the infection present is in my nose, and not in my blood.