Page 1 of 2
HALIMETER MACHINE LOCATIONS
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am
by deebo
Hey folks . Heres a list of locations of docs /dentists ..etc with halitosis machines . i know it mainly tests for sulfur compounds and methyl mercaptan but maybe its a start to check off the list .
http://www.halimeter.com/websites-of-so ... ter-users/
check your country and area for one near you
.
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm
by halitosisux
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Interscan-Halim ... 5653e3c5f9
One going for $1000!
I think if someone could make a miniaturized cheaper verson of one of these which was as reliable to test these particular gases, they would make a fortune.
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm
by FedUp
How accurate are Halimeters?
@halitosisux I'd love to be able to buy that lol
Imagine sneaking that in your bag to work.
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm
by kart
Be careful when buying used Halimeter, and most importantly: it has a sensor that durability is not very long, the sensor costsmore then 50% of the value of a new Halimeter. Used halimeters may have sensors that no Also heard that Halimeter needs to be calibrated before use, by a person who has no BB.
I do not know if a Halimeter solve the problem of a halitofobic since (maybe) he did not believe the result over the time.
Also do not know how much reliable halimeter is . I did several tests that score below 30 ppm, and at that moment I had horrible taste in the mouth ...
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm
by halitosisux
lol, I'd take it everywhere with me.
I'd love to have one. Properly maintained and calibrated, they're accurate for the gases they're sensing for, but it really needs an experienced and trained person to use one for the purposes of ascertaining whether or not you have BB. Certain foods and drinks can leave you with high VSC levels on your breath which make testing pointless and false.
Owning one yourself though, you could soon get used to your true readings. But another problem is that they don't sense every type of malodourous gas, only the three gases which have been found to be most commonly associated with BB. An Oral Chroma tester is much more expensive, but it tests for 4 different gases. (I may be slightly wrong there, but it's something like that).
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 pm
by deebo
yea. i hear that too . Volatile sulfur compounds (VSC) are only a small part of the VOC list (volatile organic compounds) . Buying one might be way more trouble than going to see someone on the list who knows how to calibrate ,operate and maintain it . Not to mention cost .
I hear in the UK it can take long waits to see the Dentist or Doc ,but maybe they can make exception if youre just popping in to check levels and a few seconds weekly or so (?) i think Dr Aydin and menssana have more robust machines that pick up far more VOCs . I'm even pretty sure there are probably units out there being used for industrial applications that may be better than the halimeter .
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:01 pm
by nightmare
Been there, Done that. I was so impressed that a dentist was able to find the orgin of my bad breath using a halimeter, I bought one on ebay.
Interscan charges around $1000 for filter and calibration as long as only the filter is bad. You need a second new calibrated filter to calibrate the first one. You can not calibrate to someone without bad breath,wrong.
The old model can not lock in the highest value(reading), the new model does lock the highest value. When it reads 200 or over, its does not matter, breath stinks. The filter will last 3-6 months of daly use as long as the area its in has no contaminations(perfume, aftershave, cig smoke, etc.). The halimeter has to be plug in for a half hour or so before use(warm-up).
Oh, I have the old model, so the new model might be different. If I were to do it again I would buy new. When all was said and done I had over $2000 in a old used model.
I bought the halimeter knowing the daughter would move out one day. She Is the best. Others sometimes get gag reflex if it is real strong. I have some realy good friends.
I have read over and over(theme) that their parents, friend or fellow worker said they do not smell bad breath. Or maybe someone rub their nose. You read into that words"bad breath" Dr Murat said that is class 5,
I think he is right. To be in chronic class 1-4, someone needs to tell you.
All of the medical people I have seen over the pass 25 years have never told me they did not smell bad breath. Some have said its not that bad.
My daughter between the ages of 16-19 would get a funky smell for 2 days during her period. Someone told her and she was thinking chronic because of me. Dr assured her it was hormones. I think "Paranoia will Destroy Ya." if you let it. There is a Big Big Big difference between occasional bad breath and chronic bad breath.
I work in a office(cubicle) with 800 professionals. I have only smelled 6-8 of them that I think is chronic and maybe 20% of the 800 are occasional stinkers.
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 pm
by halitosisux
What was the origin of your bad breath?
I'd have sex with one if ever it read below 50ppb.
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm
by nightmare
"Down below" not in the oral cavity.
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 pm
by halitosisux
So I'm guessing that the halimeter reading was below the threshold for a positive BB diagnosis, so your dentist said it must be an extraoral cause?
Halimeters don't measure dimethyl sulfide, which is a gas that is usually associated with extraoral causes.
An OralChroma machine measures dimethyl sulfide.
Did you manage to cure your BB?
Btw, the patent on the Halimeter has expired apparently, so we'll probably see new cheaper and more portable breath gadgets appearing.
So Halimeters are accurate for type-1 BB... That's it, I'm getting one.
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 am
by nightmare
The OP posted a list of Dentists that have a halimeter. That list is how I found a dentist with a halimeter. My dentist/perodontist don't have a halimeter.
The reading in mouth was 132, the nose was 118, and the lungs were 211. He said "Go see a Medical Doctor its coming from the lungs.
I was married 25 years. 20 years with bad breath according to wife. I can remember her asking was "Are you brushing" and made me a dentist appt.
5 years ago the big "D" Trying to date kick my ass. So search for a cure was on. Didn't really think it was as bad as the X wife was telling me, for 20 years.
So I'm jumping thru our medical system,USA. A few years ago I got to see a gastro who I think is my ticket to freedom. Read my other post.
The best halimeter is somebody close to you.
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:58 am
by nightmare
Dimethyl sulfide is not good. "breath of Death". Liver from what I've read.
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 am
by halitosisux
Do you have any GI symptoms?
What was your diet like before your BB started?
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 am
by nightmare
I get indigestion sometimes. My diet before bb was well balanced. I was married with a wife that was a good cook. When she first told me of my bb she made a dentist appt. I have seen a dentist regularly all my life.
I can still remember that appt. After her exam. she told me I had periodontitis. She said I should see a doctor because it takes 7-10 years of gingivitis before it turns to periodontitis. One year before everything was good. She said it could be stess because I was healthy and to stop smoking. 20 years later I quit and that did reduce the bb. Most of my Dentists periodontists and Doctors that I seen/saw told me to quit smoking because there is a connection. I didn't even think twice about quitting because I know too many people who smoke and don't have bb.
Doctor took a look and said it was oral. I had 10mm pockets in the back four. Had all four quads(gums) surgery. After surgery the wife said the bb was stronger. I have been a good customer for the periodontist for the last 25 years. As time passed the perio could not help with the back four. They were pulled. I still had bad breath. 5 years after 1st surgery he cut on all four quads a second time. All the time trying different bb products, nothing helped at first. The wife would tell me sometimes it was not that bad and other times it smelled like shit.
I have read about probiotics, but never tried.
Thanks Stanky, for the last 2 weeks I have been swallowing 1 pill 3 times a day and break one capsule and pore on the back of my tongue.
It has reduce my bb some.
I'm not sure why Dr aydin uses the age of 35 as a cut off age. I was 33 when this all started. Wish I knew back then what I know now. I'm going to keep taking probiotics and see if it keeps reducing my bb. Thanks again Stanky! I see you like to do a lot of researching the web also.
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm
by guzler
Hi nightmare, have you ever thought of removing all your teeth? do you think it might solve the problem , as i have also a lot of problem with my teeth . oh man i have 4 bridges . had more than 14 root canal . two sergery to clean my gum. the only problem, if i did not have the BB from the nose also i would have definitly remove all my teeth .