Page 1 of 1

Sticky saliva

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 pm
by waitingforrelief
is sticky saliva an indication of bad breath? i'm wondering about people who have PND, etc., who don't have bb, if they have sticky saliva that doesn't smell?

does anyone know?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:07 am
by jc
I have sticky saliva but it doesn`t smell anymore probably because of everything that I`ve been doing to my mouth & the supplements I`ve taken. I`m sure my mouth feels cleaner now than when I had normal breath. I had a friend in college that have a very dry mouth probably because he`s taking medication regularly but he didn`t have bad breath.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 am
by noptical
I don't know what exactly you mean by "sticky saliva" but I think its the same feeling I get when I've got only a small amount of saliva in my mouth that i barely feel it.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 am
by waitingforrelief
no, i mean like my saliva is not watery. like it's thick, sticky. now that i have better saliva flow since the vit c, it's not as constantly sticky, but it's still there.

hmm wait, but you have a point there. maybe it's not that i have sticky saliva, but that i just don't have much saliva to begin with. so whatever bacteria, plague, stuff in my mouth just forms this sticky stuff, and maybe i just think that it's saliva.

:-k :-k :-k

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 pm
by Larc400
I think certain salivary glands produce sticky saliva, while certain produce watery. My saliva is super sticky, I mean really really sticky, glue-like 8-[

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:20 pm
by elliott
are you guys talking about mucus?

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:56 pm
by noptical
elliott wrote:are you guys talking about mucus?
Yes that could be mucous mixed with saliva, I don't think saliva can be sticky.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:14 pm
by unsungzero7
ya thats mucous mixed with saliva, saliva glands don't secrete different types of saliva

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:52 pm
by waitingforrelief
well then i guess i must have a lot of mucus in my mouth...

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:31 am
by Twilight
Yes, I have the sticky combination of saliva and mucus too.

I would like to know the answer to your original question however...is this stickiness considered abnormal?

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 am
by elliott
well if there is a lack of saliva, we are lucky we have some lubrication so the throat doesn't dehydrate and render itself useless... I think the mucous is the throat's last defense.