Has anyone had success with brushing less or gentler?
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 am
So I've returned briefly to the forum after a several-year hiatus. Some may remember me from my thread where I said extracting my wisdom teeth cured my bad breath.
That still holds, and my life has improved tremendously as a result. Over time though, I gradually became aware of a second, low-level bad breath that was mainly bothersome to people pretty much only close up (the bad breath I had prior was a high-level, pungent stink that would knock people dead on their noses from the far end of a hallway).
Like the other kind, though, it has proved a tenacious bastard. It is bothersome especially after drinking water or during or after eating food. Don't get me wrong...I take my oral hygiene seriously..and I'm not a dirty person, but I don't always leave myself enough time in the morning before getting in to work...and there have been rare occasions where I've had to forgo brushing my teeth (though I'd never go out in public with visibly stained teeth).
It is paradoxical since if you don't get to brush your teeth you might expect your breath to smell worse, while brushing would make it better. But it has struck me forcibly and consistently that on those few days where this has happened to me....my breath has not, if judging by people's expressions and gestures, as on the other days where I do brush, been at all bothersome. This sounds disguisting, but I know it is not coincidental because I've gone as far as doing it on purpose and gotten the same result every time.
I also bought a water flosser several months ago,, but I'm not sure I use it enough to really have an impact.
So in addition to the water flosser I have been making it a point, whenever I brush now, to go easier on my teeth and gums. Whereas in the past I used to scrub furiously, now I brush much gentler and slower, and try to not scrape the gums as best as possible.
There are people who brush so hard that they can efface their gums, but my dentist has never told me I have such a problem.
The jury's still out on this approach from my end, but it seems like I'm meeting with some success as far as people's reactions.
Anyone else had any luck with this?
That still holds, and my life has improved tremendously as a result. Over time though, I gradually became aware of a second, low-level bad breath that was mainly bothersome to people pretty much only close up (the bad breath I had prior was a high-level, pungent stink that would knock people dead on their noses from the far end of a hallway).
Like the other kind, though, it has proved a tenacious bastard. It is bothersome especially after drinking water or during or after eating food. Don't get me wrong...I take my oral hygiene seriously..and I'm not a dirty person, but I don't always leave myself enough time in the morning before getting in to work...and there have been rare occasions where I've had to forgo brushing my teeth (though I'd never go out in public with visibly stained teeth).
It is paradoxical since if you don't get to brush your teeth you might expect your breath to smell worse, while brushing would make it better. But it has struck me forcibly and consistently that on those few days where this has happened to me....my breath has not, if judging by people's expressions and gestures, as on the other days where I do brush, been at all bothersome. This sounds disguisting, but I know it is not coincidental because I've gone as far as doing it on purpose and gotten the same result every time.
I also bought a water flosser several months ago,, but I'm not sure I use it enough to really have an impact.
So in addition to the water flosser I have been making it a point, whenever I brush now, to go easier on my teeth and gums. Whereas in the past I used to scrub furiously, now I brush much gentler and slower, and try to not scrape the gums as best as possible.
There are people who brush so hard that they can efface their gums, but my dentist has never told me I have such a problem.
The jury's still out on this approach from my end, but it seems like I'm meeting with some success as far as people's reactions.
Anyone else had any luck with this?