Your Email Address:

First Name:

Questions about tongue and bacteria

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Stinkynick
Junior

Questions about tongue and bacteria

Post by Stinkynick »

Before I developed bb my tongue was relatively smooth. Now it usually feels rough almost like sandpaper even when it's not dry. Could this be related to all the bacteria in my mouth? Could bacteria change the texture of my tongue? Also my tongue usually doesn't smell like anything but when I scrape my breath improves, any thoughts?

oneday4800
Advanced
Post by oneday4800 »

I think so. Because my tongue is alot smoother after putting in work. I cant smell my tongue either (maybe smelt my bb 3 times this year) but i just feel its better after brushing and scraping etc. And dont feel as 'heavy' if you know what i mean. Im never much of help but there ya go lol.
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

well, if it has lots of little nooks and crannies for bacteria to hide in, that could be why your bb may be worse when it is less smooth.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Food for thoughts:

- In all my years on BB forums, I've never heard of anyone curing their chronic BB by scrapping their tongue / removing white coating, etc.

- Many, many people with white tongue don't have BB. See music videos in HD for reference. I need to start collecting screenshots, i will.

- People with pink tongue can have chronic BB but that seems rare (correct me if i'm wrong here if you have a pink tongue)

Draw your own conclusions.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

That might be because a coating is supposedly made up of a number of things and depending on which of these is prominent may depend on whether it smells or not.

Examples are a lot more dead cells than normal building up (fasting, dry mouth, lack of natural abrasion), biofilm buildup or fungal overgrowth.

No doubt though, that a thick buildup of this "slough" will have a tendency to start smelling and releasing foul odour on the breath. It just depends on how badly it stinks and of what chemicals.

If the coating is mostly just dead cells and fungal growth, then it also depends on which particular bacteria you have colonized in your mouth. Some 1% of adults supposedly naturally have s.salivarius which is an example of a bacteria which is favourable to have for keeping odour causing bacteria in check. That might be bullshit, but that's what it says and some people who take those probiotics say it helps.

Then it also depends on whether odour is even being produced on the tongue. Odour can be produced from an undiagnosed source and then finding it's way onto the carpet of the tongue - e.g. finding it's way there from the sinuses.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic