Page 1 of 1

I've never told my doctor about my bb

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:24 pm
by Tony22
I've never actually visited the doctor about my bad breath. I've never told a doctor about it before. I've always just kind of "managed" it myself but never been able to cure it. Should I go to the doctor about it at some point? What kind of thing should I say? I've honestly just been too embarrassed to mention it...

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 pm
by FedUp
Whats more embarrassing?

Stinking of shit or actually discussing with a doctor to work towards a cure.

Any doctor I've visited I've told them straight what is going on with me but still I'm non the wiser as to what is my cause.

You gotta let all that worry go and just tell them, if you can't confide in a doctor who can you confide in?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm
by jess
I agree. You've got to tell your doctor straight up about the bb, that way he'll know exactly what you're in his office for and not to waste your time.

Say something like this: "I've been suffering with this bb condition for
months/years. I've done everything I could to get rid of it and it's not going away. It's not an hygiene problem, I have very good oral hygiene and at this point I don't know what else to do. This condition is ruining my life and I need help in doing everything I can to get rid of it".

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm
by halitosisux
The embarrassment factor is very difficult. As a bloke I found it very hard to show that something like this could be affecting me so badly. What helped me get through that barrier of embarrassment was the indirect approach. I would always try to show that it was my "girlfriend" who kept complaining about my breath - and make it look at though I was begrudgingly there to seek help rather than desperately. This indirect approach of someone else complaining about my breath also made it hard for my doctor to ever try to fob me off.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm
by MrChips
I remember when i told my doctor. He told me to floss.... He covered up his nose and told me to floss.
The truth is they wont know as much as you know. If you have been researching for a cure then you will know alot more than these doctors.,,
All they can really do is test you for diabetes, H pylori, kidney and liver problems....

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:23 am
by Archimonde
If you go to a general practitioner and only mention bb, they will tell you to go see a dentist (rightfully so).

If you have other symptoms on top of BB such as PND / lump in throat / blocked nostrils, or stomach issues, then you're better off focusing on those symptoms and not mention BB so that you get referred to a specialist (most likely an ENT). Once you're with a specialist, mention BB but if they don't take BB seriously, it might be a good idea to not focus too much on it.

My experience with GPs has been terrible. IMO, the only reason to consult one is to get a referral otherwise they are useless for bb.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm
by Phantasist
"Any doctor I've visited I've told them straight what is going on with me but still I'm non the wiser as to what is my cause."

EXACTLY. Many of us have been through the wonderful experience with doctors, and the final conclusion is: If doctors could cure bad breath, no one would have it. Sad, but true.