Your Email Address:

First Name:

Study on antibiotic nasal rinse for nasal odour

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
sickofit

Study on antibiotic nasal rinse for nasal odour

Post by sickofit »

This could very well be the final solution for nasal odour. I too have a foul odour coming from my nose that is room filling. I've seen 6 (incompetent) ENT's with no luck.

The first link is to a study done in 1948 in The Netherlands with some amazing results. The antibiotic used was streptomycin. I don't think they use it any longer because of it's nasty side effects. The study is in Dutch so I'm going to summarize and translate only the important parts. On the last page you can read a short summary in English.

http://www.ntvg.nl/publicatie/enkele-ve ... -met-s/pdf

METHOD
American scientist were doing research on the bacteria klebsiella ozaena in the nose. They used an antibiotic called streptomycin. ozeana sufferers where to spray the antibiotic in the nose. This was not very effective since the antibiotic could not reach all parts of the nose. Then the Dutch scientist came up with a solution. They mixed 1 gram of streptomycin with 30 ml of water and told the patients to lie down on their stomach with their heads hanging over the end of the bed and turned to one side. (see picture in study on page 2 of 4) They now injected 3 ml of the solution slowly into one nostril then ask the patient to turn on the other cheek and they inject the same amount of the solution into the other nostril. The solution was kept in the nosefor 10 minutes. The patients weren't allowed to blow their noses afterwards. This procedure was done 3 times a day for 3 days.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE
They talk about a 36 year old woman who spread an awful odour from her nose since she was 12 years of age. she rinsed here nose 5 times a day with no great results. She was afraid she was going insane from desperation. This patient received treatment as explained above and after one day she told the doctors that she could breath much more easier and after day two most of the crusting was gone and the bad smell had disappeared entirely. She was treated 9 times in 3 days. After 4 months the smell was still gone the crusting remained but was of such a small amount that she could rinse it out easily. They describe 2 other patients with the same complaints and the same good results.

THE RIGHT ANTIBIOTIC
Since streptomycin is a rather old antibiotic with like I said nasty side effects. I searched for a good antibiotic to do this treatment with and I found a book called ''Allergic Diseases - 3rd Edition, Diagnosis and Treatment'' by Phil L. Lieberman and John Albert Anderson. I'm now going to quote from this book (page 155) : ''Symptomatic treatment of atrophic rhinitis with low-dose decongestants and nasal saline lavage is minimally effective. Antibiotic therapy is necessary for ozena. Topical antibiotic therapy, such as gentamycin or tobramycin 15 mg/mL or ciprofloxacin 0.15 mg/mL in saline, may offer some benefit for subjects with atrophic rhinitis and recurrent mucosal infections or sinusitis, although there are no studies to validate this treatment.

As you can read the book states that there haven't been studies done on this subject but my link to the study done in The Netherlands proves that this is not the case. The fact that there are no recent clinical trials about this subject obviously doesn't mean that this couldn't work. Because having a extremely foul smell coming from your nose is rather rare and thus it's not profitable to do clinical trails for it because only a few people are going to need such treatment.

I'm going to set up an appointment with one of my incompetent ENT's and tell that I want to try this. I will report back.