Page 1 of 2
Looking into deep cleaning/wisdom removal
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm
by Stinkynick
Ok so it's been a long time since I've posted and I've decided that since I hit a brick wall in my investigation as reflux being my cause Ill make a new post.
So after months of reflux diet I've seen no improvement.
While researching and doing some poking around my mouth I've noticed several things.
1) I have the spots in my mouth that when I floss they smell like shit.. All three places were spots where I previously had severe tooth decay and recieved root canals.
2) In those same spots I've noticed that the gums are looser around the teeth than anywhere else in my mouth, and food gets trapped in them very easily
3) I've gotten my top wisdoms out, but on the left side of my mouth I have a partially erupted wisdom with a swollen gum flap that I believe to be pericoronitis. And my dentist actually gave me a referral to have it removed. On my right side I'm missing the 2nd molar and my wisdom is fully erupted. However there is a little bump that looks like a pimple on my gum behind my tooth.. And the gums around this tooth are also very loose.
4) I cannot smell my breath, however I can catch whiffs of myself off certain people and it smells like rotting flesh
5) While I've maintain a very healthy diet and avoided meat for most of the last six or so months( with the exception of a few occasions) diet has not made any significant difference in my breath.
6) The odor still comes from my nose
My plan is to remove the remaining wisdoms, demand that my dentist send me to a periodontist( his partner is one) for a scaling and planning, maintain diet even though I don't see it helping I do feel healthier.
Feedback would be much appreciated
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 pm
by halitosisux
Try a Waterpik if you haven't already. If you think you may just have loose gum or pockets around any teeth, use chlorhexidine in your Waterpik.
Chlorhexidine on it's own doesn't do much for such pockets of gum. A Waterpik with just water is also not very effective. But when you combine the two it's incredibly powerful at eliminating such bacterial "reservoirs".
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 am
by StillHoping
Like Ive said to others on this forum; I really doubt wisdom teeth can cause halitosis. From my own experience anyway, went to great deal to have mine removed last year and it made no difference at all. But I guess everyone has to eliminate every possible option...
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:59 am
by Stinkynick
@stillhoping... Did you have anything wrong with your wisdoms?
@halitosissux... I will try a waterpik, but chlorexhidine is hard to come buy in the us, ill ask my dentist for a prescription I guess as I see him tomorrow. But I've read that I've you have plaque under the gums the only way to clean it is deep cleaning.. I went 4-5 years without a normal cleaning, and I think a scaling/planing will help tighten the gums if nothing else
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 am
by StillHoping
I didn't have any serious problems with them but my bottom 2 required surgical removal and apparently had deep pockets surrounding them filled with bacteria.
fyi you can buy corsodyl on ebay, there is a UK seller british goodies that sells them for cheap and they arrive pretty fast. I am currently using corsodyl toothpaste and rinse, and it does seem to be helping abit.
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:49 am
by ikageorgian
StillHoping wrote:Like Ive said to others on this forum; I really doubt wisdom teeth can cause halitosis. From my own experience anyway, went to great deal to have mine removed last year and it made no difference at all. But I guess everyone has to eliminate every possible option...
StillHoping the wisdoms does not by themselves cause halitosis, just bacteria originates around them and deeper within roots, they are located far back in the mouth and fresh air (oxygen) barely reaches them unless inhaling the air purposely, thats why the front teeth and tip of the tongue doesn't smell of stench.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 pm
by StillHoping
@ikageorgian the reason I don't believe wisdoms are the problem is because I see sooo sooo many people with the most messed up teeth and soo many who still have their wisdoms and yet have absolutely no bb at all. In fact I have come across alot of these ppl with horrible oral hygiene practices still with no bb.
I think those of us bb sufferers there is something distinct happening in our mouths that exacerbates the bb.
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 pm
by halitosisux
@StillHoping, impacted wisdom teeth are a known cause of bad breath, so it's not about whether we believe they can or not - it's the same with rotting teeth or gum disease etc - they are proven causes of bad breath, but yet they don't always result in bad breath.
So you are right, something may be going on which makes some people more susceptible than others to have had breath when things go wrong. I have always believed this.
Some people may have systems which work more effectively, such as some aspect of their immune system, or some odour neutralizing process such as enzymes or oxidation. Individual bacterial flora is also likely to be a big factor.
It's quite possible that for some people there's more than one cause for their BB. So unless all causes are dealt with then the BB will always be there.
Without trial and error, without taking such steps even when we know there is very little chance of something working, then nobody would ever get cured.
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm
by StillHoping
That is true and I do agree with you. I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up too much and get dissapointed yet again. Because last year my hygienist convinced me the wisdoms were the source and made me soo excited that my bb would be cured. But ofcourse it made no difference at all. Yes you should do everything you can but don't expect it will end your bb
Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:26 pm
by Stinkynick
If there is one thing I've learned from having bad breath it's to expect nothing. My expectations have lowered in all aspects of life and I've learned to just appreciate the little things. Sad I know, and it's not like I don't enjoy myself, but I can't enjoy life the way I used to. Plain and simple...
I scheduled bottom wisdoms to be extracted this Friday. And also made an appt with an ent who I saw a while back. Back then he suggested tonsillectomy and i was reluctant. Since then I've found stones a few times. I get winters off for my job so now is the time to act, three or four more weeks and I'm off for a few months so I will be again actively seeking the cure
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:51 pm
by FedUp
Wisdom may or may not cure you but life's too short to sit and wonder "could it be that?".
Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:48 pm
by jess
@ Stinkynick: When you see that ENT doctor I advise that you make sure he does a nasal/sinus endoscopy and also look at the adenoids to make sure there's no infection or anything that could cause bb there. In my recent ENT appointment everything looks healthy, but at least now I can rule out that area as a source of the problem.
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:24 am
by Stinkynick
@jess I have had ct scan and multiple ents have conrfirmed that I have swollen turbinates, the doctor I'm seeing actually suggested surgery last time I saw him but I was still weighing my options but the time for action is now
As far as my wisdom teeth go, the extraction went well, surgeon said he removed impacted food from under my gums and my mouth feels clean. I was with very close friends all weekend and they all insisted they smell nothing. 6 different people all on different occasions(all people I trust) told me they smell nothing. I have only caught a whiff of myself once since the extraction and it was before I brushed yesterday morning.
When the course of antibiotics is over and when I encounter some more people, preferably strangers I will let you know how the extraction really worked. I don't want to cry wolf, but I'm very optimistic
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:17 pm
by FedUp
Stinkynick wrote:@jess I have had ct scan and multiple ents have conrfirmed that I have swollen turbinates, the doctor I'm seeing actually suggested surgery last time I saw him but I was still weighing my options but the time for action is now
As far as my wisdom teeth go, the extraction went well, surgeon said he removed impacted food from under my gums and my mouth feels clean. I was with very close friends all weekend and they all insisted they smell nothing. 6 different people all on different occasions(all people I trust) told me they smell nothing. I have only caught a whiff of myself once since the extraction and it was before I brushed yesterday morning.
When the course of antibiotics is over and when I encounter some more people, preferably strangers I will let you know how the extraction really worked. I don't want to cry wolf, but I'm very optimistic
I wouldn't worry too much about morning breath too much, that smell will go upon brushing and eating but I hope this is it for you. Good luck.
Do you suffer from post nasal drip also?
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 am
by mohan
Hi halitsisux
I have been suffering bad breath long time aproximately 17 years, I am now 31 years after long time i discovered that one molar or call it its clinical name "mandibular second premolar" smells bad like rotten meat. If I use more sugar it smells very bad that i cannot describe . the smell area is both the tooth its self and the surrounding gum. When I rub finger around that area it smells terrible. that tooth is rather impacted though it is not wisdom teeth. You had the same problem though not the same tooth, when i read your posts in this forum you said that one tooth ( wisedom tooth) was smelling very bad and you could feel with your finger if you rub it and then smell, and when you removed that teeth you solve the bad breath problem,. My qustion is are you still ok? can one tooth make the whole mouth to smell bad?. I have bad breath that fills room some time or can shoot some one 2 meters away. Will romoving this help me get rid of this badbreath problem? Me and my dentist have agreed to remove this teeth but Iam waiting the time that dentist gave me. your answer is important tu me. thanks