THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Breakthrough: bad filling was causing bb

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
hope4now
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 am
Gender:

Breakthrough: bad filling was causing bb

Post by hope4now »

I think a major source of my chronic bb has been removed. An old plastic (composite) filling came loose (which has since been replaced with a ceramic crown.) The filling was infected and acted like a bacteria factory. It was a large filling between two molars. I didn't even know it was there.

I had noticed a smell around that tooth when flossing, but assumed it was gum disease. The gums are still sensitive around that tooth but the smell is gone. Even when I floss at the end of the day (before brushing or rinsing) there is no more smell.

My current dental regimen is:

Morning:

Water pik with warm water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salts. The Epsom salts seem to make my gums less sensitive. Then brush with Colgate Peroxyl (contains hydrogen peroxide) instead of toothpaste. I always found toothpaste to make my breath worse by the end of the day. The Peroxyl also whitens the teeth over time and kills odors.

Evening:

Floss and brush with Peroxyl. Flossing before brushing is recommended so any odors can be detected. If you find an odor that keeps coming back, have that tooth checked out by your dentist. No need to wait until it falls out.

I think the combination of water pik, hydrogen peroxide, and using a Sonicare toothbrush might have slowly loosened the bad filling. Now I use the Sonicare once in awhile but not every day.

History:

In the mid-1990s I had all mercury amalgam fillings replaced with composite. I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2010 and my tonsils out in 2011 but neither cured the bb. I think the tooth was the primary cause. Everything else (like the tonsil stones) was a side effect. Still, I don't regret getting the tonsils removed or the wisdom teeth.

I think this filling started going bad in 2006, which is when I started noticing the bb. For some reason, none of my dentists ever noticed a problem with it until it fell out.
hope4now
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 am
Gender:

Post by hope4now »

I'm sure this isn't the cause for many bb suferrers here, but if you detect a persistent smell from certain teeth when flossing, it's worth having your dentist check out the tooth.
hope4now
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 am
Gender:

Post by hope4now »

Update: I stopped using Peroxyl since it was starting to make my teeth sensitive.

Now I'm using OraWellness "Healthy Mouth Blend" essential oils instead of toothpaste. It helps to heal the gums and prevent gum disease. It also seems to slow down the plaque buildup between brushing.
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

@hope4now

Do you still have BB? Check your PM inbox.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗