THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
My story and some help needed
My story and some help needed
Hi all. First time poster here.
I am 32 and I had BB since about 20 or 21.
As with everyone on this forum, I tried everything (therabreath, smart mouth, betaine hcl, d3, zinc, oil pulling, k12 probiotics) some have provided some relief but most of these were just total waste of money or temporary.
Betaine HCL + Caprylic Acid combination seem to have provided some relief lately, but my BB continued on so I kept on looking.
Two days ago I noticed that there was a strange smell in my molar when I was flossing (off of the floss). This particular molar has always been a problem for me and it's got a crown and root canal as well. I am now thinking that this could be the cause of my BB (at least a portion of it).
I read similar topics on this forum but just wanted to get more comfort from others on whether I should ask my dentist to extract this tooth or crown. If I remove the crown, do I need to have the tooth extracted as well? I don't want to put another crown on this (it's already my 2nd). Last time when the crown came off, there was a lot of foul smell underneath it. I wasn't really aware of my BB then and didn't think too much of it.
What do you guys think?
I have a successful career, wife, and beautiful kids. Last 2 years or so, I became more and more self conscious about this issue and it's definitely impacting my social interactions with friends, clients, and co-workers.
Thank you so much for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am 32 and I had BB since about 20 or 21.
As with everyone on this forum, I tried everything (therabreath, smart mouth, betaine hcl, d3, zinc, oil pulling, k12 probiotics) some have provided some relief but most of these were just total waste of money or temporary.
Betaine HCL + Caprylic Acid combination seem to have provided some relief lately, but my BB continued on so I kept on looking.
Two days ago I noticed that there was a strange smell in my molar when I was flossing (off of the floss). This particular molar has always been a problem for me and it's got a crown and root canal as well. I am now thinking that this could be the cause of my BB (at least a portion of it).
I read similar topics on this forum but just wanted to get more comfort from others on whether I should ask my dentist to extract this tooth or crown. If I remove the crown, do I need to have the tooth extracted as well? I don't want to put another crown on this (it's already my 2nd). Last time when the crown came off, there was a lot of foul smell underneath it. I wasn't really aware of my BB then and didn't think too much of it.
What do you guys think?
I have a successful career, wife, and beautiful kids. Last 2 years or so, I became more and more self conscious about this issue and it's definitely impacting my social interactions with friends, clients, and co-workers.
Thank you so much for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
I saw the dentist today but he won't extract the tooth.
What he suggested was that he will remove the crown and do a deep cleaning in that area and then redo the crown. He will charge my insurance for them, but he will wave portion of the fees that I am personally liable for (which is very nice of him).
I hope this works out, but I would have felt much better if he just agreed to remove it. This will be my 3rd time re-doing the crown on this tooth.
What he suggested was that he will remove the crown and do a deep cleaning in that area and then redo the crown. He will charge my insurance for them, but he will wave portion of the fees that I am personally liable for (which is very nice of him).
I hope this works out, but I would have felt much better if he just agreed to remove it. This will be my 3rd time re-doing the crown on this tooth.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
I think you need to decide for yourself on this. I would love to tell you there's a way to know for certain beforehand, but there isn't.
Lots of us have tried things, such as tonsillectomy, after looking for comfort from other successful outcomes. But we'll never know unless we try. I would say though, if your breath has ever improved at all after re-doing the crown on previous occasions, that it's worth repairing it once more to see what happens, and then consider removing the tooth. If your dentist won't do what you ask, look elsewhere.
Lots of us have tried things, such as tonsillectomy, after looking for comfort from other successful outcomes. But we'll never know unless we try. I would say though, if your breath has ever improved at all after re-doing the crown on previous occasions, that it's worth repairing it once more to see what happens, and then consider removing the tooth. If your dentist won't do what you ask, look elsewhere.
Guys so now the bleeding has stopped and I don't really smell anything foul anymore. I tried flossing around the temp crown and it didn't smell any longer either. I felt pretty good about this until I stuck my finger up where my tonsil is and my finger smelled quite foul (similar to before). I don't have tonsil stones but my tonsil smells. I am not sure if I still have BB or not. I wish there is a way for me to know. I can ask my wife but she always tells me I don't smell. I know I do because I get very obvious reactions from people. Maybe I will find out tomorrow when I go back to work. Man I hate my life.
-
NOTANYMORE
- Master
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 am
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Nespresso, IF your crowned tooth was responsible for your BB (which you'll find out in the coming days if it was or not) then it's quite possible that the releases from this tooth (bacterial, chemical, immunological etc) found their way into your tonsil crypts, and collected in there to form the gunk which turns into stones.
The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I also had a tooth which slowly oozed bad smelling things into my mouth. This tooth was on my right side. I had the tooth removed in 2009. Roughly 12 years before that I had my stinking tonsils removed. It was always my right tonsil that produced the most stench. My left tonsil was almost odourless and hardly ever produced any stones.
Please only consider this as a possibility, as I have no proof whatsoever that this wasn't purely coincidental. Consider also, that, according to Dr. Aydinmur, tonsil stones occur even in BB free persons.
The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I also had a tooth which slowly oozed bad smelling things into my mouth. This tooth was on my right side. I had the tooth removed in 2009. Roughly 12 years before that I had my stinking tonsils removed. It was always my right tonsil that produced the most stench. My left tonsil was almost odourless and hardly ever produced any stones.
Please only consider this as a possibility, as I have no proof whatsoever that this wasn't purely coincidental. Consider also, that, according to Dr. Aydinmur, tonsil stones occur even in BB free persons.
Thank you so much for your response. What's weird about my case is that I have no stones. I just have smelly tonsil. I used Q tip, finger and scrubbed pretty hard and nothing is there but just the smell. Like you, I only have smelly stone on my right side so I am hopeful. Maybe my temp crown is still leaking.halitosisux wrote:Nespresso, IF your crowned tooth was responsible for your BB (which you'll find out in the coming days if it was or not) then it's quite possible that the releases from this tooth (bacterial, chemical, immunological etc) found their way into your tonsil crypts, and collected in there to form the gunk which turns into stones.
The reason why I'm mentioning this is because I also had a tooth which slowly oozed bad smelling things into my mouth. This tooth was on my right side. I had the tooth removed in 2009. Roughly 12 years before that I had my stinking tonsils removed. It was always my right tonsil that produced the most stench. My left tonsil was almost odourless and hardly ever produced any stones.
Please only consider this as a possibility, as I have no proof whatsoever that this wasn't purely coincidental. Consider also, that, according to Dr. Aydinmur, tonsil stones occur even in BB free persons.
After you removed your tooth and tonsil treated, we're you cured? If so congratulations. Thanks again.
So today I went to see my General practitioner and he told me that he wanted to check me for H Pylori. I thought it was interesting since I think this is a frequently talked about topic on this forum. He gave me a kit to $#!+ in and I have to bring it back within 24 hours lol
Anyway, yeah today, I am getting minimal reactions from people. Definitely the crown had a lot to do with my BB. I had lunch with clients today at a local restaurant and we were seated at this tiny table for the 4 of us. After we all ate, I think I was getting some reactions but before and during meal, no reactions, so i felt pretty good about this. My wife swears that I do not have BB except in the morning and when I consume alcohol. She even let me test it today so I blew air into her face earlier and she told me I do not smell. During my appointment, the doctor didn't confirm I had BB or not (I told him about this issue) but he just said to check with the dentist since the dentist would know more about it. He didn't really give off any reaction while he was talking to me so maybe I didn't stink that bad today.
This is turning into like a diary lol. Thanks for reading.
Anyway, yeah today, I am getting minimal reactions from people. Definitely the crown had a lot to do with my BB. I had lunch with clients today at a local restaurant and we were seated at this tiny table for the 4 of us. After we all ate, I think I was getting some reactions but before and during meal, no reactions, so i felt pretty good about this. My wife swears that I do not have BB except in the morning and when I consume alcohol. She even let me test it today so I blew air into her face earlier and she told me I do not smell. During my appointment, the doctor didn't confirm I had BB or not (I told him about this issue) but he just said to check with the dentist since the dentist would know more about it. He didn't really give off any reaction while he was talking to me so maybe I didn't stink that bad today.
This is turning into like a diary lol. Thanks for reading.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
You're welcome. Please keep your diary going!
About tonsils - there's smelly tonsils and then there's REALLY smelly tonsils. There's no mistaking a REALLY smelly tonsil. A REALLY smelly tonsil smells like (mothballs + death + horse shit + dog breath) X 1000. That's what my right tonsil smelled of. My left side just had a "nice" throaty kind of smell, but even so, it still produced stones occasionally, but much smaller ones.
As I said, I had the tonsils out first (before I knew about the tooth) so I will never know if or how the tooth may have correlated with the tonsils and production of tonsil stones. All I can say is, I had huge improvement when the tooth was removed. I still need to remove one more potentially problematic tooth, but it needs doing in hospital and I need to wait until certain personal circumstances change before I can go ahead with that. In the meantime I'm experimenting with irrigation and antibacterials and learning as much as I can in the process and trying to help anyone I can on this forum.
But anyway, good luck over the next few days!
About tonsils - there's smelly tonsils and then there's REALLY smelly tonsils. There's no mistaking a REALLY smelly tonsil. A REALLY smelly tonsil smells like (mothballs + death + horse shit + dog breath) X 1000. That's what my right tonsil smelled of. My left side just had a "nice" throaty kind of smell, but even so, it still produced stones occasionally, but much smaller ones.
As I said, I had the tonsils out first (before I knew about the tooth) so I will never know if or how the tooth may have correlated with the tonsils and production of tonsil stones. All I can say is, I had huge improvement when the tooth was removed. I still need to remove one more potentially problematic tooth, but it needs doing in hospital and I need to wait until certain personal circumstances change before I can go ahead with that. In the meantime I'm experimenting with irrigation and antibacterials and learning as much as I can in the process and trying to help anyone I can on this forum.
But anyway, good luck over the next few days!
Another update
So it looks like something is working for me.
Last few days, I get almost no reaction except when I am talking nonstop for about 5 mins (my mouth gets dry) or when I am consuming alcohol.
I am currently using
Betain HCL
Caprylic Acid
Milk Thistle (for liver)
Vitamin D3 drops (400 IUs each x 6 per day)
Biotene PBF toothpaste and mouthwash
I use salt sometimes to gargle
I sip on water whenever possible
No beef, dairy, onion, garlic foods (when possible to avoid)
Vitamin C
Zinc pills
As mentioned above, I fixed my crown issue
I just ordered some Xylimelt to help with my dry mouth situation. Hopefully this takes care when I am consuming alcohol.
Thanks for reading! I hope this keeps working.
So it looks like something is working for me.
Last few days, I get almost no reaction except when I am talking nonstop for about 5 mins (my mouth gets dry) or when I am consuming alcohol.
I am currently using
Betain HCL
Caprylic Acid
Milk Thistle (for liver)
Vitamin D3 drops (400 IUs each x 6 per day)
Biotene PBF toothpaste and mouthwash
I use salt sometimes to gargle
I sip on water whenever possible
No beef, dairy, onion, garlic foods (when possible to avoid)
Vitamin C
Zinc pills
As mentioned above, I fixed my crown issue
I just ordered some Xylimelt to help with my dry mouth situation. Hopefully this takes care when I am consuming alcohol.
Thanks for reading! I hope this keeps working.
A few updates since last time:
1. I saw a GP last week and tested for H Pylori. Got my results back today and it came back negative (which is a good thing I guess).
2. Xylimelt came in the mail and I have been using 3 or 4 of them a day. These work quite well but they don't last as long as I was hoping. They're fully melted within an hour (maybe a little over an hour). I tried drinking alcohol (Stone Go to IPA) while having one of these in my mouth and it worked well. My mouth stayed moist.
I ordered Forever Mints (it will be here tomorrow - I will update once i try it)
3. My wife continues to tell me i have no issues with BB. Maybe it's just in my head...
1. I saw a GP last week and tested for H Pylori. Got my results back today and it came back negative (which is a good thing I guess).
2. Xylimelt came in the mail and I have been using 3 or 4 of them a day. These work quite well but they don't last as long as I was hoping. They're fully melted within an hour (maybe a little over an hour). I tried drinking alcohol (Stone Go to IPA) while having one of these in my mouth and it worked well. My mouth stayed moist.
I ordered Forever Mints (it will be here tomorrow - I will update once i try it)
3. My wife continues to tell me i have no issues with BB. Maybe it's just in my head...
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
I can't wait to hear how you get on with Forevermints.
I'm considering making an order for these too. It's a shame they have to be so expensive though. I need to have something like this handy for when my mouth gets dry etc. I still use xylitol Smints but I would like it if they could last longer.
There have been a few active members of this forum who have disappeared after trying Forevermints. One of them posted very good feedback before disappearing. I hope it's for good reasons related to the use of these mints that they've disappeared.
Anyway, good luck!
I'm considering making an order for these too. It's a shame they have to be so expensive though. I need to have something like this handy for when my mouth gets dry etc. I still use xylitol Smints but I would like it if they could last longer.
There have been a few active members of this forum who have disappeared after trying Forevermints. One of them posted very good feedback before disappearing. I hope it's for good reasons related to the use of these mints that they've disappeared.
Anyway, good luck!
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.