Page 1 of 1
Anti-Halitosis Yogurt starter?
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:51 pm
by thanatos
http://www.edentalstuff.com/index.asp?P ... stom&ID=52
Yogurt May Chase Away Bad Breath
[ January 3, 2006 ]
Researchers collected samples from the participants� saliva and tongue coatings, and measured volatile sulfide compound concentrations in the air of people�s mouths. Those measures showed that, at six weeks, hydrogen sulfide levels decreased in 80 percent of volunteers who had bad breath.
"So we thought two yogurts per day did work for improving (bad breath)," Maeda said.
In addition, plaque and gingivitis was significantly reduced in people with bad breath after the yogurt-intake phase of the study, compared with the initial phase when they did not consume yogurt. However, the authors said there were no noteworthy differences in the number of oral bacteria in the mouths of people before and after eating yogurt.
Research participants consumed yogurt made especially for the study, Maeda said.
As with other yogurts, the starter culture consisted of a combination of Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus. What differed was the strain of bacteria they used, she said.
The yogurt maker that helped fund the study hopes to make its product commercially available this fall, she added.
Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:53 pm
by thanatos
I tried emailing Maeda to find out if this anti-halitosis yogurt starter hit the market already. Still no reply.
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:08 am
by mike987
sounds interesting.. i was actually avoiding yogurt because of the dairy factor
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 am
by Ice
what kinda of yughurt is that??just plain youghurt?? or is that "some special, ingredients"yoghurt, ????
plus they wrote after use in those two weeks there were improvemts...probably yea, most of people when they go to doctors, they brush teeth more often than they would!, PLUS they wrote 80 of all the people had less BB. not for 80% breath was reduced....

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 pm
by noptical
Ice wrote:what kinda of yughurt is that??just plain youghurt?? or is that "some special, ingredients"yoghurt, ????
plus they wrote after use in those two weeks there were improvemts...probably yea, most of people when they go to doctors, they brush teeth more often than they would!, PLUS they wrote 80 of all the people had less BB. not for 80% breath was reduced....

Those 20% didn't have their mouth as the source.
I started eating 200-400gr yogurt per day 1,5 weeks ago. I can say it helped me A LOT with the stomach/bowels (I started having problems 7-8 months ago when I took a heavy antibiotic) and I can say it does reduce the bb. I'm unsure how much and it seems that its not always the case but after cleaning my tongue with the tung brush and leaving home for more than 8 hours my tongue is much more pink that before I started eating yogurt.
I've been brushing my teeth less those 1,5 weeks, just like the average person does, 1-2 times a day, sometimes I didn't even brush before going to sleep. I just ate a cup of yogurt (200gr) few hours before. I noticed that my morning breath was not as bad.
Btw, I'm eating the "Danone acti-regularis" yogurt which claims to help "regulate the function of the bowels" but most yogurts are known to have these properties.
I suggest everyone to try eating yogurt everyday, couldn't be cheaper and even if it doesn't help you with bb, it will definitely improve your health (unless you're lactose intolerant).
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:31 pm
by thanatos
I have a yogurt maker. Easy to use and produces good yogurt!
The interesting thing about the yogurt used in the study is that it's made of bacteria not yet used in commercial yogurt. It's supposedly made of bacteria that directly beefits the mouth in terms of bad bacteria/plaque whereas typical yogurt uses bacteria mostly geared towards intestinal colonization.
Still no return email from the professor as to where this yogurt starter can be found. Heck, I can't even find the yogurt company that funded the study.
I really want to give it a try. Eating two different types of yogurt that target both the intestines and mouth flora could have a noticeable impact on our breaths. Couple that with the new probiotics hitting the market from Oragenics and maybe many more of us will be able to realize a significant reduction on oral malodor.
*crosses fingers*
I could really use a miracle in my life right now.
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:33 pm
by Larc400
thanatos wrote:
*crosses fingers*
I could really use a miracle in my life right now.
Well said, that man

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:43 am
by emotional rescue
i´ve been taken a glass of yogurt per day for about 6 months right now.
It´s a regular yogurt, without sugar but with sweetner.
I always think it was helping a little, but it´s not so significant that allows me to do the things that i can´t because of this ****ing bb....
But last month i don´t drink it beacuse i was pretty confident with oil pulling and now i fell like it´s loosing it´s efectiveness...
so i don´t know, i will strat to drink yogurt again...
hope this new yogurt comes available
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:00 am
by thanatos
Company is "Meiji Dairies". Seems the professor who did the study actually works for the company.
Still, I'd like to try
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:12 am
by TIREDOFIT
You can buy acidophillus pills or flora pills with those good bacteria in them. Look online or in a local health food store that sells herbal meds. They are usually lactose free. I have some that I need to try out again. I bought them because I heard that bb could be from a yeast infection in the belly called candida. I took too much and got a vaginal infection - the opposite of a yeast infection - and had to go on antibiotics to get rid of it. That was when I was pregnant, so it could have been that I was just sensitive to it during the time. I'm going to try it again - just one pill a day this time.