What has worked for me
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:11 am
Here's what I've discovered and what I've done to significantly reduce BB.
I have allergies, post nasal drip, rough tongue specially at the back, and tonsils. I take Reactine for allergies, brush my tongue, do daily saline nasal washes and rinse with Listerine. I can usually tell if I have bb. I suck up or hawk up mucus/spit from my throat, spread it on my arm or back of hand. I wait for it to dry and smell it. If the stuff smells I'm pretty confident my breath also smells just as bad or worse. Another way I test is to swallow spit/air a few times with my mouth close and see if there is a smell or weird odour from my throat.
Sometimes when I suck up mucus from my throat after my usual cleaning it doesn't smell. But when I repeatedly swallow and suck up mucus/spit I can sense something foul that came from my throat. So even after brushing my teeth and tongue, rinsing with listerine and doing nasal washes, I can smell something but it's not so strong. I have come to the conclusion that it's not my teeth, tongue or mucus from my nose because I clean them all. I eventually figured out it was from my tonsils. When I looked in the mirror I couldn't see any stones so I used a Q-tip with some toothpaste to clean it and gently press near the crypts and I found one or two of these nasty stones, which smelled awful. Then I rubbed Crest Prohealth (with zinc and apparently an anti-bacterial compound) on them and let it sit for a bit. I do this twice a day along with the other cleaning. After doing this the sucked up mucus doesn't smell anymore. Even mucus that has been in my throat for a few hours doesn't smell too bad. If I swallow spit or air forcefully a few times and suck up the spit from my throat there is a usually bad smell even after cleaning the tonsils. I'm pretty sure that this is coming from my tonsils. I think what happens is when I swallow my tonsils is pressed against my throat and tongue and any mucus/spit/stuff from my tonsils is squeezed out and goes down my throat causing the terrible bb. So I think you should try to see if it is your tonsils (for those who have theirs of course). I've been able to keep my breath ok if I do this tonsil cleaning and along with regularly removing mucus from post nasal drip especially if I feel like there is a lump in my throat. If the mucus stays too long in your throat and if you're congested and breathing through your mouth, you'll get bb but it won't smell as terrible or as shitty as the stuff from the tonsils. I try to only swallow when I'm drinking or eating and that way the smell goes with the ingested stuff. There was other users on here who suggested the similar things, squeezing out stones and clearing up mucus, and I agree with them. Also chewling gum and drinking water also keeps to wash down any "squeezed tonsil juice" or stagnant mucus away. Vitamin C would also be great too but they are damaging to your teeth. Buffered Vitamin C is less damaging. I've tried Ester C, which is non-acidic, but it doesn't stimulate saliva as well as regular ascorbic acid.
I can't control morning breath, which is really nasty, but if I do the complete cleaning and try to maintain a mucus-free throat throughout the day then I'm pretty sure my breath doesn't smell as bad. When I talk to people now at distance of about 1 or 2 feet away I don't get a reaction. This past weekend I even made out with my date and again no complaints. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor to completely remove them.
Hope this will help some of you.
Take care...
I have allergies, post nasal drip, rough tongue specially at the back, and tonsils. I take Reactine for allergies, brush my tongue, do daily saline nasal washes and rinse with Listerine. I can usually tell if I have bb. I suck up or hawk up mucus/spit from my throat, spread it on my arm or back of hand. I wait for it to dry and smell it. If the stuff smells I'm pretty confident my breath also smells just as bad or worse. Another way I test is to swallow spit/air a few times with my mouth close and see if there is a smell or weird odour from my throat.
Sometimes when I suck up mucus from my throat after my usual cleaning it doesn't smell. But when I repeatedly swallow and suck up mucus/spit I can sense something foul that came from my throat. So even after brushing my teeth and tongue, rinsing with listerine and doing nasal washes, I can smell something but it's not so strong. I have come to the conclusion that it's not my teeth, tongue or mucus from my nose because I clean them all. I eventually figured out it was from my tonsils. When I looked in the mirror I couldn't see any stones so I used a Q-tip with some toothpaste to clean it and gently press near the crypts and I found one or two of these nasty stones, which smelled awful. Then I rubbed Crest Prohealth (with zinc and apparently an anti-bacterial compound) on them and let it sit for a bit. I do this twice a day along with the other cleaning. After doing this the sucked up mucus doesn't smell anymore. Even mucus that has been in my throat for a few hours doesn't smell too bad. If I swallow spit or air forcefully a few times and suck up the spit from my throat there is a usually bad smell even after cleaning the tonsils. I'm pretty sure that this is coming from my tonsils. I think what happens is when I swallow my tonsils is pressed against my throat and tongue and any mucus/spit/stuff from my tonsils is squeezed out and goes down my throat causing the terrible bb. So I think you should try to see if it is your tonsils (for those who have theirs of course). I've been able to keep my breath ok if I do this tonsil cleaning and along with regularly removing mucus from post nasal drip especially if I feel like there is a lump in my throat. If the mucus stays too long in your throat and if you're congested and breathing through your mouth, you'll get bb but it won't smell as terrible or as shitty as the stuff from the tonsils. I try to only swallow when I'm drinking or eating and that way the smell goes with the ingested stuff. There was other users on here who suggested the similar things, squeezing out stones and clearing up mucus, and I agree with them. Also chewling gum and drinking water also keeps to wash down any "squeezed tonsil juice" or stagnant mucus away. Vitamin C would also be great too but they are damaging to your teeth. Buffered Vitamin C is less damaging. I've tried Ester C, which is non-acidic, but it doesn't stimulate saliva as well as regular ascorbic acid.
I can't control morning breath, which is really nasty, but if I do the complete cleaning and try to maintain a mucus-free throat throughout the day then I'm pretty sure my breath doesn't smell as bad. When I talk to people now at distance of about 1 or 2 feet away I don't get a reaction. This past weekend I even made out with my date and again no complaints. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor to completely remove them.
Hope this will help some of you.
Take care...