Lactose rich foods sitting in the person's intestines
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:44 pm
I read this article just now which seems a plausable explanation for some:
I had actually read it last year but I forget all about lactose intolerance.. I had planned to save up to buy a test but never got around to it, I have bolded the bits which seem to describe my condition (ex-haling it from within, out my nose, mouth etc.. seeping out of me... even farting the same smell out it seems!).
<quote>
The bad breath is much more
than "morning breath".
It is powerfully strong and people can sense it from feet away. Others may think the person has poor oral hygiene when in reality they are lactose intolerant. The oral hygiene has nothing to do with their bad breath. The bad breath is caused by the lactose rich foods sitting in the person's intestines and fermenting. The body tries to get rid of the gases that are produced as the result of fermentation by having them reabsorbed by the bloodstream and exhaled out.
The hydrogen breath test is a common way doctors make the diagnosis of lactose intolerance. This tests measures the amount of hydrogen in the breath. Normally, very little hydrogen is in the breath. But undigested lactose in the colon (large intestine) is fermented by bacteria, and various gases including hydrogen is produced. The hydrogen is absorbed by the intestines, carried through the bloodstream to the lungs, and exhaled. In the test, the patient drinks a lactose-loaded beverage, and the breath is analyzed at regular intervals. Raised levels of hydrogen in the breath indicate improper digestion of lactose. Certain foods, medications, and cigarettes can affect the test's accuracy and should be avoided before taking the test. This test is available for children and adults.
</quote>
Probably worth getting tested for lactose intolerance as a LOT of food contains lactose.
Taking digestive enzymes (specifically lactase) may provide relief for people with lactose intolerance... though it's probably best to cut lactose out all together for total relief if you're diagnosed I guess.
Pete
I had actually read it last year but I forget all about lactose intolerance.. I had planned to save up to buy a test but never got around to it, I have bolded the bits which seem to describe my condition (ex-haling it from within, out my nose, mouth etc.. seeping out of me... even farting the same smell out it seems!).
<quote>
The bad breath is much more
than "morning breath".
It is powerfully strong and people can sense it from feet away. Others may think the person has poor oral hygiene when in reality they are lactose intolerant. The oral hygiene has nothing to do with their bad breath. The bad breath is caused by the lactose rich foods sitting in the person's intestines and fermenting. The body tries to get rid of the gases that are produced as the result of fermentation by having them reabsorbed by the bloodstream and exhaled out.
The hydrogen breath test is a common way doctors make the diagnosis of lactose intolerance. This tests measures the amount of hydrogen in the breath. Normally, very little hydrogen is in the breath. But undigested lactose in the colon (large intestine) is fermented by bacteria, and various gases including hydrogen is produced. The hydrogen is absorbed by the intestines, carried through the bloodstream to the lungs, and exhaled. In the test, the patient drinks a lactose-loaded beverage, and the breath is analyzed at regular intervals. Raised levels of hydrogen in the breath indicate improper digestion of lactose. Certain foods, medications, and cigarettes can affect the test's accuracy and should be avoided before taking the test. This test is available for children and adults.
</quote>
Probably worth getting tested for lactose intolerance as a LOT of food contains lactose.
Taking digestive enzymes (specifically lactase) may provide relief for people with lactose intolerance... though it's probably best to cut lactose out all together for total relief if you're diagnosed I guess.
Pete