Page 1 of 1
Waking up Feeling Sick
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm
by Larc400
This happens to me quite often when sleeping on my back or left side: I wake up feeling like I'm gonna throw up. I sit up, and the feeling disappears straight away.
Did anyone else notice anything similar?
There are two theories explaining this:
*PND or something else make it stuffy at the back of the throat, leading to difficulty breathing. The body alerts the brain by inducing a feeling of nausea, making the person wake up.
or
*It may have something to do with the upper digestive system?
Anyone else?

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 pm
by noptical
Could be acid reflux? Sounds logical to me.
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:54 pm
by Twilight
Larc, I remember you saying that it didn't take long for the bacteria to multiply after cleaning on your linguals. Perhaps you do have some acid reflux and this increases the acidity of that area leading to greater proliferation of bacteria.
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:59 pm
by Larc400
But I have no acid reflux
Also, I heard anaerobic bacteria don't like an acidic environment (ph below 7).
WEIRD
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 am
by jc
I`ve read that when you have a digestive problem your stomach produces gas that can cause nausea & mucus production. I`ve experience sometimes that when there`s a feeling that there`s mucus on my throat, all I have to do is burp for several times then that feeling is gone. Our digestion is also at its weakest when we`re sleeping. I don`t know if you have hiatal hernia coz this could also cause the food to come up to the esophagus & cause that feeling.
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:36 am
by Jimi Stein
Me too, a lot of times feel like throwing up when I wake up, and when I sit up it is ok.
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am
by elliott
how do you know you don't have reflux...some acid reflux is "silent" The esophagus becomes numb to the "burn" after awhile, but the acid is still there.
Or my other unproven theory... all the food bits just aren't completely broken down...never makes it down to the stomach, but stays in the throat/esophaagus?
How do you feel after eating alot of food?
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 pm
by Busted
Let me guess, you wake up with the thought "Damn another day with chronic halitosis". You think about the people you have to deal with, the reactions, comments,...
and this all makes you want to throw up
I think it's most likely because of the mucous that has been gathered in your throat while you were sleepin. I think your pnd is at it's worst when you're in a lying position. At least I know mine is. I always wake up clearing up a lot of mucous.
Have you been tested for acid reflux yet to be 100% sure you don't have it?
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:20 am
by Twilight
Larc400 wrote:But I have no acid reflux
Also, I heard anaerobic bacteria don't like an acidic environment (ph below 7).
WEIRD
You heard wrong. Unless you are referring to the very few classes of anaerobic bacteria than can survive in highly alkaline levels. What you may be confusing this with is that most bacteria can't survive with a pH under 4, like in your stomach. However, if your mouth has a pH or 4 or below, I think it's be pretty damn obvious.
"Most bacteria thrive in slightly acid conditions. Slightly alkaline blood keeps bacteria from multiplying because it absorbs oxygen better. Oxygen hastens the breakdown of pathogenic bacteria, since most harmful bacteria are anaerobic (cannot tolerate oxygen.)"
By it's very nature, alkalinity promotes a an enviroment with more oxygen and thus, aerobic bacteria.
That said, too much alkaline isn't a good thing either. A pH of 7.1 is considered to be the ideal in the oral cavity of the human body.
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 am
by Larc400
... my dentist said normal oral pH is 4.7-7.5 and that people with alkaline levels (>7) normally have less cavities but also run a higher risk of bb. So I was trying to get my oral pH down with Apple Cider Vinegar pills (sucking them, similar to what people are doing with Vitamin C now). During these trials I tested my saliva pH 5 times a day, and my normal pH (=when not eating etc) was somewhere around 8-9. Only after eating did it go down very briefly. The ACV pills also had a very temporary effect...
Yes it's a bit confusing. According to your info, my alkaline oral pH should work against the bb - but it clearly isn't
Would be grreat if more people did saliva pH tests -- you can find pH strips in your pharmacy
