Page 1 of 1

Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 pm
by jackfox
Hey guys, back in August this year i had really bad tonsillitis (due to a few days of heavy drinking) and the doctor prescribed me penicillin, which i'd had before, and a much stronger drug metronidazole, which i'd never had before. Within 48 hours the tonsillitis had basically gone but i was told to keep taking the antibiotics until they were finished, which i did.

After i'd finished both courses of antibiotics i noticed that i had a lot of mucus etc stuck in the back of my throat, and then a few days later i noticed that my uvula and roof of my mouth had tuned a yellowish colour and there was a whitey/yellowish/grey layer on my tongue - which did smell. I went back to the doctors and they thought it might be oral thrush so prescribed me medication for that however that never did anything. They then took swabs and then came back confirming that it wasn't a fungal infection.

A long with the tongue coating that smells, I've had constant mucus in the back of my throat and mild flu symptoms which hasn't been great. I've been prescribed nasal sprays for the this but they don't seem to be working too well. I've also been prescribed mouthwashes for the tongue coating but they have been no use. I scrape my tongue 2-3 times daily, and some of the coating comes off but there's a underlying layer that will not come off- worse at the back of the tongue. After eating, some foods will get stuck on my tongue, and there are sometimes small tonsil stones. I've been back to the doctors and they think it might just be that it's taking a long time for my immune system and bacteria to get back to normal from the antibiotics i had for tonsillitis?

I've always had good oral hygiene and never had a tongue coating or bad breath. It has all just come around since i finished the course of antibiotics.

If anyone has suggestions, or experienced something like this it would be much appreciated, Thank you.

Re: Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:05 pm
by fog
I have read several ppl posting the same suspicion on this site.
Hell, maybe this is what happened to me a long time ago only I never made the connection.

Did you have tonsilstones prior to this?

You better pray it will balance out back to normal.

Re: Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 pm
by jackfox
fog wrote:I have read several ppl posting the same suspicion on this site.
Hell, maybe this is what happened to me a long time ago only I never made the connection.

Did you have tonsilstones prior to this?

You better pray it will balance out back to normal.
Hi there, i had it in June this year too but wasn't as bad, but apart from that never really had tonsillitis, or used antibiotics, and no i don't think i had tonsil stones prior to this.

Re: Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 pm
by Ana
Try using an oral probiotic like Bliss12. Maybe it can help you.

Re: Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:09 pm
by jackfox
Ana wrote:Try using an oral probiotic like Bliss12. Maybe it can help you.
Will do, thanks

Re: Tongue coating causing bad breath after antibiotics for tonsillitis

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:06 pm
by gotshot26
Sounds like you killed off some good bacteria. I agree with Fog that you better start praying...