Page 1 of 2
ENT Visit
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:43 am
by sweets07
Well I went to the ENT Monday, which is highly recommended if you still have bb after practicing good oral hygiene and getting an clean bill of health from the dentist.
Since I have a PPO that lets me go to the specialist upon my own election, I referred myself to an ENT. At the appointment, I nearly had a panic attack waiting for him to come into the room cuz I HATE talking about my bb. That's mainly because my worst fear is people finding out I have bb (I work very hard to talk so people can't tell).
My goal when I was there was 1) to talk normally so the doctor could smell my breath, 2) tell him about my reoccuring sore throats and brown mucus I cough up in the mornings, and 3) my bb problems. I did all these things and he said, we need to do a scan to check your sinuses and make sure you don't have a chronic infection, but in the end you're most likely going to need to have your tonsils removed.
what i was pleased with most is that he asked me what symptom bothered me most, as if to find out how much my bb bothered me. i told him the sore throats were a pain, but emotionally bb has been the worst. he understood and had me set up for the scan of my sinuses.
my next plan is to get my acid reflux under control. i feel like if you have bb after all the work we do, you have a medical problem that needs to be dealt with- whether it's putrified adenoids or tonsils or acid reflux. mouthwashes and whatnot become a joke when you have serious medical issues to deal with.
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:07 am
by elliott
I've been thru this. Good luck. If you don't mind, keep us posted on these visits. It's interesting to see how different ENTs attempt to solve this... at least in what order.
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am
by Busted
I have pretty much lost all my faith in doctors, ent's, so-called halitosis specialists ...Not that i really had much faith in them, but I expected them to at least able to give a a logical explanation of what exactly is wrong with me even if they had no idea how to fix it.
I'm tired of visiting them, it's pointless in my situation.
Hopefully sweets you're more lucky than I am.
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:28 pm
by jess
Sweets07 did the doctor say anything about your adenoids? Did he check them at all?
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:04 pm
by sweets07
Sorry to hear that your visits were pointless. I feel really confident that this doctor has not only treated bb patients before but that he can actually help me. I figure if we can attack my sinus problems so I can lessen the amount of infections I get and also remove my tonsils and adenoids, I'll see an improvement in my bb. Since I know my hormones and acid reflux contribute to my bb, I don't know if I'll ever be cured. I don't think there is an effective way to treat these issues. I may also even have a metabolic/immune deficiency... who knows. Either way, I would like to see an improvement and whatever an ENT can do to help, I'm willing to try while I have such great insurance.
Jess:
No he didn't say anything about my adneoids. I figured we'd discuss that as the time for surgery comes up. I didn't want to play doctor at the doctor's office by telling him what to do. I think it tends to turn the doctor off who is trying to treat you.
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:01 pm
by deekey
best of luck to you sweets,
I loggd on today to read more about ENTs because Ive finally decided that I will visit one, and I saw this topic on the top of the page (maybe its fate). Ive been putting off seeing one for so long because just the thought of talking to someone about my problem gives me near panic attacks and I thought well maybe my own mouthwash or better hygiene would help mask the problem.
But I am so sick of this crap, I am more that this disease, I am a fun, confident, outgoing, loving individual but I have to hide my true self because of all this crap. All the opportunities and momemts in life that I have let pass me by and even try to avoid....well you all know the feeling.
Anyway, good luck to you from the bottom of my heart, and I admire your courage in dealing head-on with the issue. I will try it from now on.
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:11 am
by elliott
I think ENTs are so tired of patients complaining about BB that they don't even take it seriously. They realize their is no available cure, so all they can offer is surgery. I think it is important to be sure that your doc is being thorough and not wasting your time, or just going thru the motions to get an insurance claim, or your cash. Make sure they examine every possibility... don't let them skip right to surgery.
Checklist for the ENT
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:28 pm
by HappyDays
I will see ENT this week. My bb seems to stem from digestive or throat and is heavily detected thru nose. Anyone have any tips on what to say or what to have him check without coming off as a know it all? I want to seem knowledgable but not like I am telling him how to do the job. Is there a basic checklist of items I should go thru?
Re: Checklist for the ENT
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm
by sweets07
HappyDays wrote:I will see ENT this week. My bb seems to stem from digestive or throat and is heavily detected thru nose. Anyone have any tips on what to say or what to have him check without coming off as a know it all? I want to seem knowledgable but not like I am telling him how to do the job. Is there a basic checklist of items I should go thru?
just tell him or her your symptoms and put special emphasis on what bothers you the most. talk about sinus problems, any acid reflux, sore throats, and bb. you can say things like, i read that problems with your sinus and tonsils can contribute to bb and i think i want to have these things checked.
i really don't think there is a cure for bb, but we have to do everything we can to minimize it, even if that required surgery. i live my life. i'm happy and social. i've learned to adjust the way that i talk and use that right products to handle my bb as best as possible.
Re: Checklist for the ENT
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:33 pm
by Larc400
sweets07 wrote:i've learned to adjust the way that i talk and use that right products to handle my bb as best as possible.
What mouthwash would you recommend..? I have been off mouthwashes for a couple of years but it would be good in certain circumstances

First tonsil stone
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:11 pm
by HappyDays
Ok well now I have seen my first tonsil stone. I plan on going back to the ENT but have no clue where to start from here.
What test should I have done?
Should I get tonsils removed?
Will it help at all? I have read it helped some and not others??
Is there anything else I should get removed at this point related to tonsils?
Does anyone who has tonsil stones have BB from nose also? I hope so casue this means I may finally be pinpointing the bacteria.
Whats the recovery time for this type of surgery?
Thanks in advance.
Re: First tonsil stone
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 pm
by emotional rescue
HappyDays wrote:Ok well now I have seen my first tonsil stone. I plan on going back to the ENT but have no clue where to start from here.
What test should I have done?
Should I get tonsils removed?
Will it help at all? I have read it helped some and not others??
Is there anything else I should get removed at this point related to tonsils?
Does anyone who has tonsil stones have BB from nose also? I hope so casue this means I may finally be pinpointing the bacteria.
Whats the recovery time for this type of surgery?
Thanks in advance.
Good for you! If you have tonsils stones you got something on you can work about, to reduce your bad breath,
Just try to confirm it. If you ready got them, then you must remove your tonsils or get them lasered.
I lasered my own´s and i personally recommend it over the total remove: less pain, don´t need recovery time, etc.
I did the proceedment about three months ago and now i can say that I DON´T HAVE ANY DOUBT, that get rid of your tonsils stones is the only permanent thing for now that a bb sufferer can do to reduce their malodour.
And in the case of some sufferers when it could be their only source of bb, could be even the cure. Don´t forget the case of the member bronxjazzy....
To confirm it, you got to ask to cheq it to an ENT, but i´m not sure if all of them knows how to do it, or you can do it by yourself, There´s a method called the Finkelstein test, you can read how to do it in the interview that jimi did to finkelstein that is posted on this site.
good luck
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 pm
by sweets07
Larc:
i recommend dioxirinse from the frontier pharmaceuticals website. it has zinc and active chlorine dioxide which is a powerful combo.
www.frontierpharm.com
i do pretty well with this product along with brushing and using the tung system with crest pro-health toothpast. but since i have ANOTHER sinus infection AND sore throat, who knows what my breath is like today
HappyDays:
also it is helpful to get the adenoids removed with the tonsils since both can be putrefied w/ bb bacteria.
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:02 pm
by HappyDays
Sweets:
I am definitely wiling to do both? I just hope to see a little difference in the BB.
How long of a recovery would I be looking at?
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:49 pm
by Larc400
Yeah while you're there, find out if you have adenoids at all... most adults don't. Make them look carefully and explain your problem though...
Recovery time for tonsilectomy = 1 day's rest, then pain meds for a few more days. At least that was my case. Did it help? Not much, probably a little (one less place for bacteria to hide), and it felt good eliminating that possible cause.