Page 1 of 1
Sinus Rinse.. What kind of Salt should I buy?
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 am
by mike987
I bought a sinus rinse kit last week with Neti Pot.. Been using it day and nightand keeps my sinuses clearer than not using it.
Anyway I'm all out of packets of solution to mix in.. But the packets included nothiing but Sodium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate (i think) .. I really don't feel like paying 20 dollars for a box of a hundred packets.. (i'll be paying out the wazoo soon enough for tonsil surgery if things go right)
I remember reading in a thread that certain kinds of salt you buy at the store can actually harm your sinuses.
Does anybody know what I should look for? What do you guys rinse with?
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am
by elliott
The BreathEase XL rinse that came with my irrigator is a saline rinse with xylitol that seems to work good. It's lasted me a very long time, almost a year... but I don't rinse everyday.
If you are going to make your own, use sea salt... not iodized or kosher. I wouldn't use baking soda. I'm not even sure using salt everyday is safe... I usually add a tiny bit to my solution, since it feels better, but I don't go overboard.
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 am
by jess
I use the BreathEase XL packets also. But I irrigate my nose about once a week, so the box lasts me a long time.
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:41 pm
by HappyDays
How well do the sinus rinses assist with the smell? I dont irrigate at all since my sinuses and pnd are now under control but would there be benefit if I was to use irrigation mostly for smell? Can anyone speak from experience with irrigation decreasing the smell a bit? Since my pnd is better and I have less mucos, the smell has inceased 10 fold causing me to wonder if irrigation will make it worse or will it make it worse for a bit and then get better. Are there any addins to the solution that anyone uses specifically to deoderize?
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:41 pm
by yeagermeister
Irrigation does seem to make my breath worse. I too, have been using the BreathEase packets, but it doesn`t seem to help my odor at all.
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 pm
by mike987
now that i think about it, i did have slightly more reactions than normal.. not just that, but more PND with a stronger taste :/
edit:
that is, it seemed to flow more consistently down my throat
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:45 am
by elliott
You may get a feeling of thicker mucous draining down in clumps after irrigating. That my friends, is a good thing. That's the stuff that needs to be drained.
Whether it helps BB, is another thing. I highly doubt that it does. I think it is a separate good thing to do for your sinuses, and at the very least, forces old mucous from deep within the sinus area. The stuff you get out can't come out any other way. Still, the mucous will end up at the back of the throat and tonsils and cause the same problem... eh, marinating and rotting in your body.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:52 pm
by HappyDays
I too doubt that it works but sometimes I question that...
If cleaning your mouth has a small affect on BB, then I would think that cleaning your nose should also. Just logical that it should help even the slightest bit if its deoderize as well as cleaned. You know, freshened up a bit. I have the NeilRinse and as soon as I find something to use along with it to "freshen" after the irrigation, then I will start that.
Thinking about putting mint leaves or something like that to counter the smell just a bit.
Only caveat is that once my pnd and mucos cleared up it seemed like the BB could come straight out from my digestive system with out anything hendering its flow causing it to spread farther then ever...started off 2 feet and now that everything is clear, its 6 feet in any direction.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:36 am
by elliott
Like I said before... it's like washing your tshirt and putting it back on without taking a shower. You shirt is clean but your body still stinks. That nasty sewage is going to continue seeping up no matter what you use to clean it. Heck that girl used bleach and it didn't work! All these mouthwashes and rinses are good for a few minutes and they help you feel better mentally, but it's not getting to the root issue.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:24 pm
by HappyDays
I agree Elliot, thats why for now no sinus rinse for me til I get this better under control.
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:13 pm
by greenman
I've been using it for over a year and for BB it doesn't help. For health and overall well being though it helps quite a bit. Know that your chances of catching a cold is reduced by you wn't give time for the virus to spread in your mucus. You no longer have to pick your nose lol.
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 am
by greenman
elliott wrote:Like I said before... it's like washing your tshirt and putting it back on without taking a shower. You shirt is clean but your body still stinks. That nasty sewage is going to continue seeping up no matter what you use to clean it. Heck that girl used bleach and it didn't work! All these mouthwashes and rinses are good for a few minutes and they help you feel better mentally, but it's not getting to the root issue.
then doing a colon cleanse will clean the "nasty sewage" which is your digestive organ.
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 am
by elliott
greenman wrote:then doing a colon cleanse will clean the "nasty sewage" which is your digestive organ.
Yeah. Very possibly. Actually a colon cleanse along with a water fasting diet for a few days, might rid the body of all bacteria producing protiens, giving the system a clean slate. just a theory.
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:14 am
by greenman
elliott wrote:greenman wrote:then doing a colon cleanse will clean the "nasty sewage" which is your digestive organ.
Yeah. Very possibly. Actually a colon cleanse along with a water fasting diet for a few days, might rid the body of all bacteria producing protiens, giving the system a clean slate. just a theory.
I hope that is true since I haven't had a full cleanse and couldn't do it this week. When I did do it though, my breath smelled like a funky salty lemony smell. If I did a full cleanse then I'm sure the smell would go away but it would come back right away after eating. I know it's my stomach which is the source and getting surgery seems to be the only true answer. Right now though it's not possible.
The only solution that would probably treat BB is to eat once a day at night so bad breath won't bother anyone during day time. Then wake up an hour or two early to do a colon cleanse. I know doing it daily is not a good idea but