a nightmare
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:25 pm
Hello all,
I am 38 years old, and I developed BB when I was 20 years old. The onset seemed sudden; one day I was fine, the next, friends started offering me gum and mints. At first I thought it was my stomach and so began using Breath Assure: nothing changed. Things just got worse. I progressed to antacid tablets: again no change. I would brush my teeth every two hours with no relief. My mother suggested I drink water with fesh squeezed lemon juice: no cure. I gave up red meat, then dairy, then meat all together. You know what happened of course: no relief.
I expreienced a number of embarassing moments when I was put down publicly about my breath. I have gone through severe depression. I have suicicdal thoughts at leat once a month, but I am holding out for a cure. In my late twenties I discovered Therabreath. It appeared to work for a week, but my BB returned with a vengeance. I stopped using it and tried Profresh, Closys, BreathRX, Smart Mouth, probiotics, and then back to therabreath again (I believe there was a change in the formula when I hit my mid thirties because it seems to have worked a little better, but still no cure). My breath used to smell like death, but now it smells like fish. I have been to a specialist who did the usual halimeter test. I was given an antibiotic solution to rinse with, which helped my BB slightly. However, to date I have not found a cure. I forgot to mention that I developed PND maybe a year after I noticed my BB, and a year after that was the first time I coughed up a tonsil stone.
It has been a nightmare for me these 18 years. I used to be a devout christian, but after extensive praying (I've put a lot of time into this), I am on the verge of losing my faith. I avoid social situations as much as possible. Office meetings send a shot of terror to my gut as we generally must sit in close quarters. My occupation (the field I really love) requires constant public contact so every day fills me with dread as I must talk to patrons. Every time I board an airplane, I mentally prepare myself for the reaction of the passenger next to me: first, they are pleasant until the smell hits them, and they find a quick way to end the conversation as well as pray for a short flight. The irony is that I am by nature very sociable, but I have become introverted now. The good news is that I have learned to enjoy time alone with my thoughts, reading a good book, or watching TV and movies. If I could live my life completely alone I would be okay, but as a species we live in communities so I must interact in person at some point. The internet has given me some relief in that it has reduced face to face communication, but even if I order something online, I have to face the delivery person.
A side note: maybe God is punishing me for all the times in my teens that I spoke badly of someone who had BO or denigrated someone, or called someone stupid. If BB is my punishment, it is well deserved. Jeez, do I sound Catholic or what?
Lastly, (sorry for this dissertation) this may not come as a consolation to some, but this condition has made me a better person. I am less likely to be judgemental now. I still have a lot of prejudices I must shed, but I think I am getting there. Here's to a cure and thank you for this site and the ability to talk. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I write this.
With much love and appreciation
Sean
I am 38 years old, and I developed BB when I was 20 years old. The onset seemed sudden; one day I was fine, the next, friends started offering me gum and mints. At first I thought it was my stomach and so began using Breath Assure: nothing changed. Things just got worse. I progressed to antacid tablets: again no change. I would brush my teeth every two hours with no relief. My mother suggested I drink water with fesh squeezed lemon juice: no cure. I gave up red meat, then dairy, then meat all together. You know what happened of course: no relief.
I expreienced a number of embarassing moments when I was put down publicly about my breath. I have gone through severe depression. I have suicicdal thoughts at leat once a month, but I am holding out for a cure. In my late twenties I discovered Therabreath. It appeared to work for a week, but my BB returned with a vengeance. I stopped using it and tried Profresh, Closys, BreathRX, Smart Mouth, probiotics, and then back to therabreath again (I believe there was a change in the formula when I hit my mid thirties because it seems to have worked a little better, but still no cure). My breath used to smell like death, but now it smells like fish. I have been to a specialist who did the usual halimeter test. I was given an antibiotic solution to rinse with, which helped my BB slightly. However, to date I have not found a cure. I forgot to mention that I developed PND maybe a year after I noticed my BB, and a year after that was the first time I coughed up a tonsil stone.
It has been a nightmare for me these 18 years. I used to be a devout christian, but after extensive praying (I've put a lot of time into this), I am on the verge of losing my faith. I avoid social situations as much as possible. Office meetings send a shot of terror to my gut as we generally must sit in close quarters. My occupation (the field I really love) requires constant public contact so every day fills me with dread as I must talk to patrons. Every time I board an airplane, I mentally prepare myself for the reaction of the passenger next to me: first, they are pleasant until the smell hits them, and they find a quick way to end the conversation as well as pray for a short flight. The irony is that I am by nature very sociable, but I have become introverted now. The good news is that I have learned to enjoy time alone with my thoughts, reading a good book, or watching TV and movies. If I could live my life completely alone I would be okay, but as a species we live in communities so I must interact in person at some point. The internet has given me some relief in that it has reduced face to face communication, but even if I order something online, I have to face the delivery person.
A side note: maybe God is punishing me for all the times in my teens that I spoke badly of someone who had BO or denigrated someone, or called someone stupid. If BB is my punishment, it is well deserved. Jeez, do I sound Catholic or what?
Lastly, (sorry for this dissertation) this may not come as a consolation to some, but this condition has made me a better person. I am less likely to be judgemental now. I still have a lot of prejudices I must shed, but I think I am getting there. Here's to a cure and thank you for this site and the ability to talk. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I write this.
With much love and appreciation
Sean
