THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

The gastrointestinal aspects of halitosis

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
mauricio
Advanced
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:02 am
Gender:

The gastrointestinal aspects of halitosis

Post by mauricio »

Study I run into yesterday: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2948765/
We found that gastrointestinal pathology was very common in patients with halitosis and was present in 54 of the 94 patients (57.4%). Pathology was noted regardless of dental or otolaryngological findings. Most pathologies, both macroscopic and microscopic, were noted in the stomach (60% non-H pylori related), followed by the duodenum and the esophagus.
I'd encourage you to read the page linked, I've only quoted the core of it.

As for me I've aleady pretty much dropped toothpaste, flossing and mouthwash (the latter unless I know I'll be interacting socially). Not because of this study of course but just personal experience, it's obvious that in my case these things don't do anything, mouthwash gives a little relief as it covers up for a while.
Anyways this is about the common myth 90% of bad breath has its cause in the mouth we keep hearing in every commercial and from every dentist, and I'm posting this for the thousand of times we read about scraping our tongues in here.
bb free)
KL123
Sheriff
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 pm
Gender:

Re: The gastrointestinal aspects of halitosis

Post by KL123 »

mauricio wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:57 pm Study I run into yesterday: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2948765/
We found that gastrointestinal pathology was very common in patients with halitosis and was present in 54 of the 94 patients (57.4%). Pathology was noted regardless of dental or otolaryngological findings. Most pathologies, both macroscopic and microscopic, were noted in the stomach (60% non-H pylori related), followed by the duodenum and the esophagus.
I'd encourage you to read the page linked, I've only quoted the core of it.

As for me I've aleady pretty much dropped toothpaste, flossing and mouthwash (the latter unless I know I'll be interacting socially). Not because of this study of course but just personal experience, it's obvious that in my case these things don't do anything, mouthwash gives a little relief as it covers up for a while.
Anyways this is about the common myth 90% of bad breath has its cause in the mouth we keep hearing in every commercial and from every dentist, and I'm posting this for the thousand of times we read about scraping our tongues in here.
There is a medical condition called SIBO, that I am sure you are aware of.
And one of the symptoms of this condition is chronic halitosis. They run a breath test that picks up the sulfur compound based odorus gases from your breath.
This condition is quite difficult to treat, and I think John Hopkins is leading the research to treat this.

I personally have had H-Pylori testing done a few times and it's always negative, and i have taken Prilosec and/or Nexeum to control acid reflux, yet I enjoy this lovely fecal bad breath 24/7 after scrapping the shit out of my tongue and throat, using tooth paste, flossing and whatever the sh!t is out there at least 3 times a day to get some temporary relief.

I think, in my case, it's the genetic mutation in SELENBP1

https://www.ru.nl/english/news-agenda/n ... ad-breath/
mauricio
Advanced
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:02 am
Gender:

Re: The gastrointestinal aspects of halitosis

Post by mauricio »

KL123; I know your opinion on the fact that you believe you've the SELENBP1, as I've already said before you seem to have developed a fixation for that possible (but very unlikely) cause. The test per se isn't even that much expensive, I'm kind of keen on suggesting you undertake it for your own mental good.
Yes, SIBO is a GI issue but nothing in the paper points to such diagnosis in the people examined, I'm not saying people with SIBO don't have bb but personally I hardly show any symptoms of it.
A youtuber, GojiMan, almost literally only talks of SIBO, citing it for every disease under the sun, I wouldn't want for this to be the next SELENBP1 here on the board. More basic GI issues can be the cause for our problem while I keep reading about people insisting on scraping harder, flossing harder and brush harder like these things would do anything for this kind of bb.
bb free)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗