ASK PEOPLE TO SMELL YOUR BREATH
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:37 pm
Hello all.
It’s been a journey with bad breath going on 6 years. Ive been on the site ever since, and i’ve made a couple posts. Most recently where I shared that I had stopped using mouthwash because from what i could tell, my mouth was fresh and it’s true that it was. But it wasn’t true that my bb was gone. I’ve since learned a lot. If only I could delete that post except I don’t know how. I now know the real cause has been my throat and nasal passages. I now know it was never about what mouthwash i used, as the odor came from deep within my mouth. I’m glad I know now. My point though is that i never would’ve figured it out until I started asking people around me.
Since dealing with bb I didn’t want to ever talk about it or mention it cause of how embarrassed I was. I was afraid that mentioning it would make people only focus on that when
they spoke to me or thought of me. I wanted it to be something people ignored because I knew everyone was or at least I thought everyone was. Don’t get me wrong I would chew gum til my jaw hurt and cover my mouth. Do anything to conceal the smell that I couldn’t seem to get rid of. How offensive would it have been to just talk all in someone’s face knowing I dealt with that. The pandemic and mask mandate made it a little easier and Ive worn masks ever since even now as I’m vaccinated. I might’ve been cured for some time and didn’t know because of how bad my halitophobia is. It’s a constant battle of wondering whether my breath smells bad and wondering if someone rubbed their nose because it itched or because they could smell me. I just couldn’t build the courage to ask anyone. I tried doing research on what was helping, trying different things except i never asked anyone and tried to smell my own breath and figure it out on my own. I was scared of what reactions might’ve been if I asked someone to smell it and my breath was bad But I got tired of that, truly. I’ve made some really good friends over the past year. Friends I can trust, friends that love me. I’ve grown confidence. So i decided to start asking them in a casual way if they could
smell my breath and tell me the brutally honest truth about it. And no one has made a face or thought strange of my request. They really had no problem smelling my mouth and telling me. Except I asked multiple people and they told me they smelled nothing. Even my most brutally honest of friends. Friends that would tell me if my hair was messy or if my eyelash was coming off. I asked one dear friend of mine, a friend i’ll have forever and she literally damn near stuck her nose in my mouth and had me blow and (haaaa haaa) right in her face and she smelled absolutely nothing. I asked her over and over like are you sure and she was like girl i would tell you if your breath stunk. But we’ve been friends for a while now so then i’m like.. have i been fine this whole time? has it been in my head?! all along? I know back in high school when my diet was poor and i didn’t take good care of myself my breath was bad bc mean people in school told me all the time and i got made fun of for it and i guess i just carried it with me all these years later assuming it was still the case. But turns it out it hasn’t been. It’s just years of deeprooted trauma affected me in the worst way. I feel like I can breathe now.
My point is that if you’re on your road to recovery and experimenting with different things to figure out what is gonna fix your bb, just ask your loved ones. If you don’t ask They might be afraid to tell you and don’t wanna hurt your feelings (which was the case with my friends when I suffered in high school) but if you beg them to be completely honest you will reach your goal sooner than you think. the lick test and blowing in your hand won’t help nearly as much as asking other people as those are the ones that truly perceive your body aroma and can smell your breath directly. Pls don’t be afraid it’s not so bad. People love you and want to help you. You aren’t alone.
It’s been a journey with bad breath going on 6 years. Ive been on the site ever since, and i’ve made a couple posts. Most recently where I shared that I had stopped using mouthwash because from what i could tell, my mouth was fresh and it’s true that it was. But it wasn’t true that my bb was gone. I’ve since learned a lot. If only I could delete that post except I don’t know how. I now know the real cause has been my throat and nasal passages. I now know it was never about what mouthwash i used, as the odor came from deep within my mouth. I’m glad I know now. My point though is that i never would’ve figured it out until I started asking people around me.
Since dealing with bb I didn’t want to ever talk about it or mention it cause of how embarrassed I was. I was afraid that mentioning it would make people only focus on that when
they spoke to me or thought of me. I wanted it to be something people ignored because I knew everyone was or at least I thought everyone was. Don’t get me wrong I would chew gum til my jaw hurt and cover my mouth. Do anything to conceal the smell that I couldn’t seem to get rid of. How offensive would it have been to just talk all in someone’s face knowing I dealt with that. The pandemic and mask mandate made it a little easier and Ive worn masks ever since even now as I’m vaccinated. I might’ve been cured for some time and didn’t know because of how bad my halitophobia is. It’s a constant battle of wondering whether my breath smells bad and wondering if someone rubbed their nose because it itched or because they could smell me. I just couldn’t build the courage to ask anyone. I tried doing research on what was helping, trying different things except i never asked anyone and tried to smell my own breath and figure it out on my own. I was scared of what reactions might’ve been if I asked someone to smell it and my breath was bad But I got tired of that, truly. I’ve made some really good friends over the past year. Friends I can trust, friends that love me. I’ve grown confidence. So i decided to start asking them in a casual way if they could
smell my breath and tell me the brutally honest truth about it. And no one has made a face or thought strange of my request. They really had no problem smelling my mouth and telling me. Except I asked multiple people and they told me they smelled nothing. Even my most brutally honest of friends. Friends that would tell me if my hair was messy or if my eyelash was coming off. I asked one dear friend of mine, a friend i’ll have forever and she literally damn near stuck her nose in my mouth and had me blow and (haaaa haaa) right in her face and she smelled absolutely nothing. I asked her over and over like are you sure and she was like girl i would tell you if your breath stunk. But we’ve been friends for a while now so then i’m like.. have i been fine this whole time? has it been in my head?! all along? I know back in high school when my diet was poor and i didn’t take good care of myself my breath was bad bc mean people in school told me all the time and i got made fun of for it and i guess i just carried it with me all these years later assuming it was still the case. But turns it out it hasn’t been. It’s just years of deeprooted trauma affected me in the worst way. I feel like I can breathe now.
My point is that if you’re on your road to recovery and experimenting with different things to figure out what is gonna fix your bb, just ask your loved ones. If you don’t ask They might be afraid to tell you and don’t wanna hurt your feelings (which was the case with my friends when I suffered in high school) but if you beg them to be completely honest you will reach your goal sooner than you think. the lick test and blowing in your hand won’t help nearly as much as asking other people as those are the ones that truly perceive your body aroma and can smell your breath directly. Pls don’t be afraid it’s not so bad. People love you and want to help you. You aren’t alone.