I researched a few studies for curing hairy tongue and found that they recommend 40% urea so thats what i went with. Plus it contains salicylic acid which also helps shed the keratin.
OK, so I have discovered a number of things while trying urea. For one, I didn’t have as bad of hairy tongue as I initially thought, I only applied urea maybe six or seven times and most of the overgrowth on my papillae have reduced significantly. However, I have been taking a number of extra steps while using the topical on my tongue. There is no way of telling exactly what is helping my tongue return to its current pink color. My current regime goes as followed:
1) First thing in the morning, I swish around a tablespoon of coconut oil for 15 to 20 minutes to pull out the toxins my body has brought up to my mouth overnight. I rinse with warm water 3-4 times. The warm water helps loosen the oil that might be stuck on your teeth. I do this 3x a day.
2) I use my orabrush and my diy baking soda/peroxide paste and clean my tongue until its no coating visible. I use the flash light on my phone to make sure of this. This step is very important because physically removing the bacteria from the tongue removes 90% of bad breath that comes from the mouth. I also do this 3x times daily after each meal.
3) I use a metal u shaped tongue scraper and scrape the accumulated saliva and bacteria off the surface of my tongue. This is better than the orabrush when it comes to scraping the gunk directly off your tongue while the orabrush is more so used to bring the gunk to the surface.
4) I brush my teeth with a teeth whitening toothpaste for 2mins and rinse. Again, repeated 3x daily, preferably 30mins after eating
5) I floss for about one minute and rinse
6) I rinse my mouth with either saltwater or peroxide but I honestly only do this to supplement my regime since the coconut oil does such a damn good job of making my breath fresh so this step is up to you. I’d probably only use it i know I’m going to be talking around people.
7) I take a high potency probiotic with 8oz of water and I eat breakfast

Before bed, i do my final oil pull for 15-20mins and drink 8oz of aloe vera juice and take my final probiotic (I also take one during dinner so 3 in total)
This is what excellent dental hygiene looks like. It seems meticulous and stressful but when you notice how clean your mouth and tongue fees afterwards, it becomes addictive. My tongue only has very small sections where you can see the excess of “hair” on it but the rest of my tongue looks pink and shiny. While eating, i do get a small light coating with whatever color food or beverage I’m drinking but it quickly goes away when following it with water. STAYING HYDRATED IS IMPORTANT a dry mouth=a bad mouth.
Now as far as the urea and the carbamide peroxide, I have only used it three more times since my last update because i wasn’t sure if it was working or not. After each application it does seem like it leaves my tongue very pink but it could just be already pink from the baking soda scrub. As you can see I’m throwing everything at it. I literally have no idea if its the probiotics, urea, carbamide peroxide, coconut oil, aloe vera or just the overall meticulous regime which is making my tongue so pink LOL. Although i scrub the shit out of my tongue and make sure i get all of the gunk off, i have focused on reducing the overall count of bacteria in mouth instead by using the coconut oil. I noticed in the morning that the bad breath is very minimal and the coating doesn’t return! Although it’s probably beneficial to know that even a slight white coating is normal upon waking since the average person doesn’t produce much saliva while asleep. It really takes a dedicated effort to get rid of this so be consistent. I’ve noticed subtle improvements each day. I HIGHLY recommend oil pulling and drinking aloe vera. My teeth are noticeably whiter, the morning breath is minimal, the teeth sensitivity is gone, and my face looks very smooth and clear. Sometimes it takes a multi-arsenal approach to get rid of confusing illnesses such as these and luckily it has been working for me so far.