Many of us with BB suffer from excessive nasal mucous secretions and post-nasal drip. Bacteria grow in the stagnant secretions, causing the odor. I have recently had good results using a nebulizer with hypertonic saline. Hypertonic means saltier than the normal bodily fluids. The theory is that fluids will be drawn out of congested nasal tissues by osmosis. This will thin the secretions and help clear them out of the nasal passages.
This approach was inspired by the treatment of some lung conditions marked by excessive and immobile mucus (cystic fibrosis, COPD, etc). They use 3% to 6% saline in that context. You can make the solution very easily and cheaply. It is salt plus sodium bicarbonate. I have been using 6 - 8 of the little NeilMed packets per 500 ml of water to make a 2% to 3% solution. Then 20 minutes of nebulizer time, as many times a day as I can manage.
There are some posts on this forum referencing nebulizers, but I didn't see any discussion of the hypertonic saline.I had originally tried various amounts of iodine and hydrogen peroxide, but those made things worse. Even a plain steam inhaler seemed to make things worse, but the saline is working well.
It remains to be seen if this clears up the odour as well (I have never been able to detect it), but even now I am happy to have made some progress.
THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Hypertonic saline via a nebulizer - tried this?
-
secretsofcreation
- Total Newbie
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:42 pm
-
hopelovefaith
- Junior
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 pm
Re: Hypertonic saline via a nebulizer - tried this?
Rotten gastric juice from gerd is the ultimate root cause of chronic bb and nasal bb . There's a thing called silent gerd
-
hopelovefaith
- Junior
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 pm
Re: Hypertonic saline via a nebulizer - tried this?
Please try endoscopy
-
secretsofcreation
- Total Newbie
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:42 pm
Re: Hypertonic saline via a nebulizer - tried this?
Thanks for replying. I definitely have GERD, and it's mostly silent, but it's been imaged on a barium X-ray. I take a PPI daily, but that only helps a little.
My main symptom is episodes of very strong bb which correlate with atmospheric causes such as air pollution and weather changes. This is why I focus on treatments for post-nasal drip. I agree that the GERD should be considered a root cause. I also have a Zenker's diverticulum, so my situation is complicated.
As you may know, doctors aren't much help. When you start talking about any "personal odour problem", a wall just goes up. It's not that they don't believe you, it's just too difficult for them to address the problem.
My main symptom is episodes of very strong bb which correlate with atmospheric causes such as air pollution and weather changes. This is why I focus on treatments for post-nasal drip. I agree that the GERD should be considered a root cause. I also have a Zenker's diverticulum, so my situation is complicated.
As you may know, doctors aren't much help. When you start talking about any "personal odour problem", a wall just goes up. It's not that they don't believe you, it's just too difficult for them to address the problem.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.