Anyone Atrophic rhinitis klebsiella ozena?
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2026 4:31 am
Hi,
I have severe bad breath breath which is getting worse. People several feet away are moving back as soon as I speak.
History:
I had fess nasal surgery years ago and my middle turbinates were completely removed and left Maxillary antrostomy was done and deviated septum was fixed it was mild. But bb didn't improve. After that I went to multiple ENTs all said everything is ok.
Diagnosis:
Years later I started doing nasal rinse and I noticed a fishy odor inside the nose. I post that symptom to ents and most of them said atrophic rhinitis. Then I consulted one ent who said same looking at my ct scan as middle turbinates are clearly missing, fishy odor, septal perforation. He said klebsiella is common in such cases.
Symptoms:
Fishy odor in nose noticable to me only when doing nasal rinse.
Bad breath - strong, I can't smell much but others can
White coated tongue
Post nasal drip, thick mucus clear/cloudy
No crusts though
Treatment:
Rifampicin 300 twice daily
Nasal rinse 4 times daily(salt + soda + sodium borate)
Multivitamins and antioxidants
27th day of treatment today but symptoms still persists. Only slight improvement in nasal odor. Doctor told me to continue the medicine.
Anyone here know how long it takes to fix the odor? I saw in YouTube that rifampicin 12 weeks. But not much improvement is very frustrating.
I have severe bad breath breath which is getting worse. People several feet away are moving back as soon as I speak.
History:
I had fess nasal surgery years ago and my middle turbinates were completely removed and left Maxillary antrostomy was done and deviated septum was fixed it was mild. But bb didn't improve. After that I went to multiple ENTs all said everything is ok.
Diagnosis:
Years later I started doing nasal rinse and I noticed a fishy odor inside the nose. I post that symptom to ents and most of them said atrophic rhinitis. Then I consulted one ent who said same looking at my ct scan as middle turbinates are clearly missing, fishy odor, septal perforation. He said klebsiella is common in such cases.
Symptoms:
Fishy odor in nose noticable to me only when doing nasal rinse.
Bad breath - strong, I can't smell much but others can
White coated tongue
Post nasal drip, thick mucus clear/cloudy
No crusts though
Treatment:
Rifampicin 300 twice daily
Nasal rinse 4 times daily(salt + soda + sodium borate)
Multivitamins and antioxidants
27th day of treatment today but symptoms still persists. Only slight improvement in nasal odor. Doctor told me to continue the medicine.
Anyone here know how long it takes to fix the odor? I saw in YouTube that rifampicin 12 weeks. But not much improvement is very frustrating.