Page 1 of 1

Anyone had success with vitamin A?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 8:33 pm
by Researcher
Hi! I've been reading this site for the last couple of years but only now decided to register, I have an idea
Anyone had success with vitamin A? Plus, of course, vitamins D and K2
Why these vitamins?
In people with bb there is an imbalance in microbiome - too many VOC producing bacteria in the mouth. What might be causing that?
"Here is what happens to your immune sys­tem when you lack vitamin A. The first line of defense becomes compromised. Your skin and all the mucosal tissues become dry so they don’t create a barrier anymore—the barrier isn’t as moist and smooth as it should be. In addition, the cilia (hairs) lining our respiratory tract aren’t created normally so they don’t work well. The number of goblet cells, which produce mucus, is reduced. Our mucus becomes thicker, and that can breed germs. There is a compound in the mucus called lysozome, which is antibacte­rial. When we lack vitamin A, the synthesis of lysozome is reduced.

In the second line of defense, the number of natural killer cells, macrophages and neu­trophils, are all reduced when you lack vitamin A—you don’t have to be deficient but just insuf­ficient for the production of these to be reduced. Also, the ability of the macrophages to capture offenders declines and the microbicidal activity of neutrophils is reduced."
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-top ... #gsc.tab=0

You may want to read the whole article above, there is some good info there.
I started to take supplemental vitamins A, D and K2 about 4 months ago, it's still early days but I do think they are helping, need longer observation to say for sure.

Re: Anyone had success with vitamin A?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2026 4:44 pm
by Ma.
Hello. I don't think vitamin and mineral supplements should be taken unless a prior blood test shows a deficiency. Vitamin A, for example, accumulates in the body and isn't eliminated, so it can be harmful. First, you need to know if you have a deficiency that warrants taking those supplements.
I hope this answer helps.
Best wishes to everyone!

Re: Anyone had success with vitamin A?

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 2:26 pm
by Researcher
I wish it was as simple as taking a test. Linked article explains why test for vitamin A is not reliable. Symptoms should be a better indication (but some can be subtle so have to pay a close attention). Excess is a problem sure but so is a deficiency. There has never been a study to determine optimum intake of any nutrient and will never be, who else we can rely on if not on each other? I was hoping that by sharing our experience we can help each other to work it out.