Your Email Address:

First Name:

Acidic pH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Renee
Total Newbie

Acidic pH

Post by Renee »

Hi guys,
I was a member of the first Breath4U@yahoogroups. I just logged in the other day to share some info and realized most of the old members came to this forum.

Anyway, I found that I have an acidic pH. I first used the pH strips you can buy from Whole Foods/Wild Oats to randomly test it (urine). I noticed that I was very acid when I did not follow a high-alkaline diet. You can search an acid/alkaline food chart for the list of foods. So I tried hard to stick to the diet. Some things are trial and error. Like chocolate in most cases has been alkalized except for natural or organic chocolate, even Hershey Cocoa Reserve is too all natural. Most commercial (Kisses, Dove, Ghiradelli . . .) chocolates are alkalized. So I continued my research to come up with an article that went into detail about the acidity of cancer patients and how using sodium bicarbonate reverses the pH. So I tried taking sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as listed on the box. One tsp. to 4 oz. of water. Well all I can say is VOILA!

Now I drink 4 oz. solution in the morning when brush my teeth. I still check my pH with strips when I eat things I'm uncertain of, for instance, I got a horchata drink the other day and I knew from the reactions something went wrong. I checked my pH and sure enough it was acidic. I keep a trial sized mouthwash bottle full of the baking soda water in my purse for those emergencies. I just drink it down and it changes the pH back to alkaline. My next project is too find out if I am harming the chemics in my body by doing this.

I really, really hope you guys are acidic too!! Also, I saw the View episode about the NY doorman and sent a message to the webmaster. I hope to hear back.

Renee

- Sufferer for 4+ years
- History of mild gastro issues
- Discovered pH balance after experimenting w/digestive enzymes to control gastro
- Enzyme research led to mega greens (incl. chlorophyll)

carlos_bigsby

Post by carlos_bigsby »

Hello Renee, I came across these breat mints from the vitamin shoppe a couple weeks ago. They are called B-Fresh mints. The idea behind them is that they supposedly bring the ph in the mouth to a more alkaline level thus making the mouth unhospitable to odor causing bacteria. Ive been taking them and the jury is still out for me. I feel they help a little more than normal sugarless breath mints and gum. But thats not saying much. Maybe you will find them helpful.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding pH.

The fact is that to fight bb, the mouth has to be more acidic, not more alkaline. My oral pH is very alkaline, and it's impossible to create a permanent pH change. It is possible to lower the pH (make it more acid) temporarily though.

"Lowering the pH increases the solubility of VSCs, and a larger saliva volume allows retention of a larger volume of soluble VSCs. Both mechanisms reduce the malodor complaints. Just drinking an orange juice or even more a tomato juice can reduce the malodor for an hour."

(from the book 'Breath Malodor - a step-by-step approach' ... a very trustworthy book)
Renee
Total Newbie

Post by Renee »

Hey guys,
Thanks for posting questions/concerns! And that ppl read the post. I am actually talking about the pH of your URINE! I am aware that the pH of the saliva can change as we drink or eat. But the urine, if I'm not mistaken, is a direct response to how the body is digesting or metabolising. That is why I have to drink the solution not rinse with it. I know it is hard to believe 'baking soda'! But I would not knowingly send anyone down a dead end road. Will some of you please try and tell me if you see what I can see???[-o<

PEE on the pH Strip! (Acidic or Alkaline?)
If Acidic (Drink 4 oz of water and 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda)
PEE on the pH Strip AGAIN! (Any change)
Mine have become alkaline and pple do not step back, turn away or discontinue talking to me!! They step forward and engage in conversation.

Please join me on this side of freedom! I have another Christmas Party tonite!!!! \:D/
hopeful
Master

Post by hopeful »

So have you researched how safe or unsafe this can be on a continuous basis? I'd be interested in this experiment but worry about drinking baking soda everyday.
Renee
Total Newbie

Post by Renee »

hopeful,
So far I've found that drinking the solution is about the same as taking any other antacid. However, I did find that since Arm & Hammer suggested it be used as an antacid there have been five medical incidents not resulting in death. For this reason Arm & Hammer includes a disclaimer that details not taking more that 7 doses in one day, it's less for ppl over 60, and do not take 7 doses for more than two weeks straight. I think we would find about the same on any other box of antacid. And much worse in the drugs being offered by the drug companies.

Also, important to note I have other alkalizing things in my diet so it is not necessary to take it everyday. I just keep testing the pH balance of my urine.

Other ultra alkalizers: YOGI Fasting Tea, Ionized Water, Chocolate w/alkali, and any mega green drinks.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I'm sorry I don't remember the explanation, but I'm pretty sure I recall being told that consuming Baking Soda, is not the same as taking antacids, and can be harmful to the stomach over time.

But if it works...

Anyway, have you ever had an internal pH monitoring by a gastroenterologist yet? There's a few tests they can do to confirm this, however I'm not certain of the accuracy.
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

renee,

thanks for the info-are you saying that your bb is gone now? did you have chronic bb?

would you mind describing a bit about your problem which reversing your ph has helped? thank you.
Bloorain
Advanced

Post by Bloorain »

[text]
Last edited by Bloorain on Thu May 28, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIREDOFIT
Advanced

Post by TIREDOFIT »

I've been thinking about taking Baking Soda to change the odors coming fom my belly... I have a hiatal hernia and I think this is where the bb comes from. My stomach is very acidic. I'll have to try this.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

How does one know if ones stomach is very acidic? Did you have a pH screening thing put down there, or are there other ways to find out?
Renee
Total Newbie

Post by Renee »

Guys,
Thanks again for reading the post. I know this seems a little off kilter. But I think just the information I've found that works will be of some help finding the real problem and real solution. I hope this will help you all.

Elliot - I have not had a gastroenteroligist do an internal pH monitor. Need a new G.E. Matter of fact my G.E. did an endoscopy and said he found nothing. Sent me home w/ a prescription - no relief.

waiting for relief - I get about 18-36 hrs of BB relief depending upon the diet. If I start eating highly acidic (coffee, seafood etc.) then the BB will reappear. So I just test the pH if I'm unsure of something I've eaten.

Bloorain - I knew I changed the balance of my pH by the appearance of the test strip. But, I knew the pH level of my had an effect on my BB month(s) ago when I started eating an alkaline diet. It was just a matter of stacking w/alkaline diet. With the solution I'm much more free to eat things that are even slightly acidic. EX: I can have eggs, toast and jam in the a.m. A grilled chicken salad for lunch. And steam veggies w/rice at dinner. Pre-solution I would be confined to the house by eating eggs, chicken and jam in one day!

Larc - I think if you go back to my second post you will see the instructions. Basically go to your Whole Foods digestive aid section and the top shelf should supply some pH strips. I use these: http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/Ite ... 7048023112
I tear a little peice and stick it directly in the flow of my urine. If it's yellow/lime green I'm acid. If it's forest green/blue I'm alkaline.

Renee.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Yes I understand you r measuring your urine pH, but that has no relation to the level of acidity in the stomach, which someone else was talking about. I think the gastro doc has to fit me with a pH screener to check my stomach pH.... sadly not something one can check with a pH strip...
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Larc400 wrote:Yes I understand you r measuring your urine pH, but that has no relation to the level of acidity in the stomach, which someone else was talking about. I think the gastro doc has to fit me with a pH screener to check my stomach pH.... sadly not something one can check with a pH strip...
It is not fun. I had the test, you probably get a ph monitor attached to your esophagus by a needle, and it'll sit there for a few days. You'll also wear a beeper type device that constantly reads the ph level.

Instead of baking soda, had anyone though of using alka selzter?
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

What was the result, Elliot?
Did it affect your gag reflex..? I had a gastroscopy done and it's the worst thing ever due to the gag reflex...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic