Your Email Address:

First Name:

A facet of my life

Tell us your story with bad breath
TheBrain
Total Newbie

A facet of my life

Post by TheBrain »

I've been reading this forum for a few months now and I'm gladly rid of my BB. At least I have been for a few weeks. Who knows what will happen in the future?

I noticed that a lot of people mention things like using Accutane and pulling/not pulling wisdom teeth as sources of BB. So I'll layout my history first and then describe what I've done with the aid of this site and all of the honest people here.

I was in my late teens when I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled. I really don't remember what the reason was, but my Mother seemed ok with it and she usually questions medical procedures that cost money. I also can't recall if this is when my BB started but it did start sometime in my late teens so this may have at least contributed. I also took Accutane for a few months around the same time. This did noticeably make my mouth drier and I still continue to drink lots of water and tea to this day. I also ingest a lot of salt to balance the fluid intake. Salt tastes good too :)

I also eat a lot! I've been gifted with a really good metabolism, but I eat like a growing teenager. That is, I regularly pig out on the fattiest foods around. Pizza, McDonalds, Burritos...you name it.

What I've been doing to help me:

I started by not eating as much of the junk foods that I usually do. I've replaced some lunches by just snacking on smoked almonds, pistachios and seeds. For about two weeks I just ate pretty much one meal a day, during dinner. This somehow made my body flush the smelly bacteria or maybe just didn't give the BB germs enough food to sustain themselves. In any case, I was essentially BB free already from just doing this.

I also now use Dr Katz Therabreath toothpaste and rinse (regular, not the new-fangled ones). These are great products and they work just as said. They don't cure BB by themselves but they won't dry your mouth and give BB germs sugars to reproduce. Tom's rinse made my situation worse, too many sweeteners and I could smell the germs coming back right after using it.

On top of this, I also started flossing and rinsing/pulling with extra virgin coconut oil. This stuff is pretty amazing tasting, not sure if it does what I've read. But it is definitely not hurting, so I will continue using it.

On top of that, I've purchased a chewable probiotic that has all sorts of good germs for my body. I keep the bottle in the fridge and take one tablet a day and it tastes great too.

In addition to this, I purchased a Blis K12 probiotic gum that I chew once a day in the afternoon right after doing a tongue scrape. BTW, my tongue is now nearly coating free.

So doing all of this has cured me, or at least, have cured me so far.

Some other fun tidbits...my Wife must really love me or is in denial. When I revealed to her that I was doing all of this because of my BB, she said,"your breath isn't that bad, what are you wasting your money for?" Nuts huh? My kids on the other hand had let me have it,"Dad, you stink! You smell horrible! No, no, don't kiss me!" Now there is no issue :)

TheBrain
Total Newbie

Post by TheBrain »

Oh, forgot to add this.

I don't think that Dairy affects BB, at least not for me. I still eat ice cream and have meals with butter and I am lactose intolerant. I try to take my all-natural lactose digestive enzymes when I eat any dairy, but I don't catch it all of the time.

I'm intolerant to the point that I have the runs and extreme gas if I drink a small glass of milk.

Hope this helps.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Brain-
Your story sounds identical to mine. I have a husband and kids, beautiful family. He will from time to time show signs of my breath being horrible, but he had to pick me up for an endoscopy (I was knocked out) the dr. told him I was worried about my breath. As we drove home he told me my breath was not bad. I know he was trying to make me feel better. Before we were married he made 1 comment that my breath stinks. He knows how sensitive I am and loves me, so he's pretty silent about it all.

Anyway, I've used the same products for you over the years ( maybe not all together) with no help. If you mention any Katz's products on here, people will not believe in you. Katz is the devil and scammer around here. I don't believe his products hurt, they just don't help much.

What do you think in your routine most helps you? And why do you think your bb is gone? Does it affect your career?
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

btw, your story is like mine because around age 18 I have wisdom teeth pulled & took Accutane for 4 months, and shorty after or right after my bb started- wow has it changed my personality.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

TheBrain, it's great to hear that you've managed to rid your BB. Hopefully you'll be able to eventually figure out which of your measures has been the biggest factor, but it may well be a combination of everything you're currently trying.

Have you ever tried anything that stimulates your salivary flow? Not drinking enough water will undoubtedly reduce saliva output, but if there's an underlying problem that has affected your saliva flow (such as damage caused by taking accutane), then drinking gallons of water will not necessarily increase your saliva output. So, something which stimulates your actual flow may help.
TheBrain
Total Newbie

Post by TheBrain »

Hola guys,
I really hope that this helps a few people. My BB isn't debilitating for me because I am really outgoing, and I determined a long time ago that I wouldn't let it stop me from having a normal life.

Mindy, I'm not trying to promote Dr. Katz's products. I'm just being honest in saying that I feel that they are good for a particular thing. I can tell that they are better for me than the typical sky blue minty toothpaste and burning mouthwash. By themselves they don't cure BB. Which I can say with certainty because I did use them on their own with no change in my BB whatsoever. But in tandem with the other stuff, they seem to help.

I have tried many other things that I've read about too. I took Chlorophyll pills, Internal mint pills, used Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and gum, Dr. Katz's post nasal drip thing and throat drops. None of this stuff seems to help with anything so I don't use it now.

I think that I can maintain with just my dietary change and the probiotics. But at this point, I won't risk dropping the Katz toothpaste and rinse, and the Coconut oil.

I would emphasize that you should try a shotgun approach and do all of the things that I mention. The total cost of everything comes out to about $80.

Probiotic Gum $24
Probiotic Chewables $15
Therabreath toothpaste and rinse $15
Coconut Oil $8
Bags of nuts and seeds $20

I would definitely start with the dietary change first. I tried this semi-accidentally but it really did seem to do the trick almost by itself. I have a co-worker who had Crohn's disease, and he tried to cure himself by eating a super healthy diet. It didn't work in the end, but it showed me what a healthy natural diet looked like.

Halitosux, other than chewing gum (non-probiotic) what can you recommend that would increase salivary flow?
TheBrain
Total Newbie

Post by TheBrain »

Update:

From what I can tell my BB is still nearly done. I'm still trying to narrow down what works and what doesn't, but like I said before. I don't want to risk having it come back. So I'm just working within my regimen and not trying anything radical.

The healthy diet is number one. When I eat healthy snacks throughout the day my breath will turn out much better in the days coming up. Not necessarily the same day, but the day after and so on. I almost starve myself during lunch every other day in order to maintain the digestive balance.

Secondly, I'm flossing every night before bed with Coconut oil. My exact routine is: Small amount of oil to rinse off my mouth and coat my inner cheeks and tongue. Then I floss with a double floss pick, NOT using the ultra smooth floss that doesn't actually remove anything. Usually I get some leftover gunk out between a few molars that would easily become a smell issue. Then I rinse out with water. After that I rinse/pull using a gob of the coconut oil. My mouth is usually very clean at this point and I enjoy the taste of the oil. Sometimes I swallow it when I'm done and sometimes I spit it. Doesn't hurt either way, but I actually think that eating it helps slightly as it coats my throat too.

The probiotics are also important. I take a chewable with Blis K12 and I chew a Blis K12 gum once a day. I will not stop this. If anything, I might just drop the gum later on because of the cost.

I'll keep jumping on here and posting updates every once in a while. Good luck guys!
AugustSony
Total Newbie

A facet of my life

Post by AugustSony »

Hi,I have read this forum topic and it is nice topic that will help to know facet of my life.I am trying to understand this topic but i think it is so hardy .So i think it should be written in simple sentence. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic