Your Email Address:

First Name:

a new mouthwash study at UCL;A

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

How fantastic if it really works and can target any specific bacteria and keep them eliminated for so long. Should hopefully be giving Katz & co. sleepless nights.
sadman
Advanced

Post by sadman »

FYI

Hope that someday they will find STAMPS for bad breath bacteria

Within the repertoire of antibiotics available to a prescribing clinician, the majority affect a broad range of microorganisms, including the normal flora. The ecological disruption resulting from antibiotic treatment frequently results in secondary infections or other negative clinical consequences. To address this problem, our laboratory has recently developed a new class of pathogen-selective molecules, called specifically (or selectively) targeted antimicrobial peptides (STAMPs), based on the fusion of a species-specific targeting peptide domain with a wide-spectrum antimicrobial peptide domain. In the current study, we focused on achieving targeted killing of Streptococcus mutans, a cavity-causing bacterium that resides in a multispecies microbial community (dental plaque). In particular, we explored the possibility of utilizing a pheromone produced by S. mutans, namely, the competence stimulating peptide (CSP), as a STAMP targeting domain to mediate S. mutans-specific delivery of an antimicrobial peptide domain. We discovered that STAMPs constructed with peptides derived from CSP were potent against S. mutans grown in liquid or biofilm states but did not affect other oral streptococci tested. Further studies showed that an 8-amino-acid region within the CSP sequence is sufficient for targeted delivery of the antimicrobial peptide domain to S. mutans. The STAMPs presented here are capable of eliminating S. mutans from multispecies biofilms without affecting closely related noncariogenic oral streptococci, indicating the potential of these molecules to be developed into “probiotic” antibiotics which could selectively eliminate pathogens while preserving the protective benefits of a healthy normal flora. :
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I remember this doc from years ago. Somebody should contact this doctor. You can say you are the coowner of the this site or something to easier convince him.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

Here is his adress

Wenyuan Shi Ph.D.

Advisor, Oral Biology PhD Program
- Training Programs
Chair
- Oral Biology, Oral Biology & Medicine
Professor
- Oral Biology, Oral Biology & Medicine
UCLA School of Dentistry
20-114 CHS
10833 Le Conte Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668

Phone: (310) 825-8356 ext.
[email protected]

BUG HIM!! I think he is a honest doc. He might help us in the future.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

That's amazing news, at least as far as oral care goes...

Think we can provoke him into trying it on chronic halitosis sufferers?
Maybe someone can volunteer to help organize an effort?

Anyone who emails him, please be professional and kind, and don't write a two page novel on how miserable you are.. That'll probably be a turn off. Instead kindly request for a sample of the drug, or if you can take part in a secondary research group or something.

I might consider emailing him too, but I'm not sure what I'd say.

Let's put our knowledge to work here... what do we know about oral bacteria that may cause bad breath or dry mouth, and do you think those specific bacteria can be targeted by this new treatment?
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

i don't think the type of halitosis we have any mouthwash/rinse will work short from rinsing with bleach.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

If bad breath in certain cases is due purely to having certain types or species of bacteria living in the mouth (or any other part of the body like the nose or gut), then being able to selectively eliminate types of bacteria in this way would get rid of the BB.

I'm not a microbiologist, but it also seems plausible that you could promote the estabishment of favourable bacteria in the mouth if it were possible to precisely control which bacteria you allow to be present in this way.

In a way, it would be like being being able to take metronidazole, but without the many issues that normally make this only a temporary solution to the problem.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

If I understand the article correctly, it is possible to target Streptococcus Mutans which is a bacterium that resides in dental plaque by using specifically targeted antimicrobial peptides without affecting other bacteria.

This kind of specific targeting of harmful bacteria while leaving beneficial microbes unaffected might be useful in certain treatments, but I have my doubts about curing chronic bad breath. I'm not convinced that Streptococcus Mutans is responsible for bad breath eventhough it lives in the plaque on your teeth. I know people who have tons of plaque on their teeth and don't have bad breath. Yet when the dentist scrapes off all the plaque from my teeth, I still have bad breath. Obviously the breath odor must be coming from somewhere other than plaque.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Who knows where it will eventually lead. If it's possible to selectively control precisely which bacteria are present in the body, then it will undoubtedly be possible to control the production of any odours in the body, including for that matter TMAU.
sadman
Advanced

Post by sadman »

Phantasist :

This mouthwash is just for preventing dental caries by killing the Strep Mutans . It's not for bad breath but the same concept ( STAMPS) can be applied to develop mouthwash that can specifically kill bacteria that cause bad breath such as S. moorei or some other species that scientists have yet to find

Scientists have found strong evidence for a link between the bacterium Solobacterium moorei and bad breath. This organism is an anaerobic bacillus that has rarely been encountered in medicine, but has recently been isolated from feces, dental abscesses, and the mouths of people suffering from oral malodor. In laboratory testing, scientists have also confirmed that the bacterium produces hydrogen sulfide, one of the gases that accounts for the characteristic odor of rotten eggs.

Bacteria associated with halitosis are nothing new: we've known for a number of years that anaerobic bacteria living in the mouth give off the volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) responsible for oral malodor. These bacteria flourish in the absence of oxygen and metabolize proteins supplied by cells, food particles, and secretions. In breaking down proteins, the organisms give off VSCs as a byproduct. The relationship between Solobacterium moorei and bad breath is explained in the same way. Researchers have identified suspicious species of anaerobic bacteria one by one, and found many of them to be present in virtually all mouths, but apparently flourishing in greater numbers where odor is an issue. It's never been clear why the various species do better in some mouths than in others.

The link between Solobacterium moorei and bad breath appears to be much stronger than that found for other species. In studies where researchers looked for the organism in the mouths of volunteers, they found it in virtually all subjects with oral malodor, and in almost none of those without the condition. In one study, subjects who did not have oral malodor, but who did have the bacterium, had another oral problem, such as periodontitis (inflammation of the gums). Of all the bacteria associated with halitosis so far, this new species appears the most likely to provide an answer and clues to a cure.

If research proves a causative relationship between Solobacterium moorei and bad breath, we may be able to devise a way to get rid of a health problem that has resisted all attempts to deal with it for decades. Testing of antibiotics against the organism has shown that it is sensitive to many of the drugs already available to us. If doctors can determine how best to deliver the drug to regions of the mouth were the anaerobes live, oral malodor could be treated like any other infection. We may not have the whole story yet-there may be other bacteria associated with halitosis that scientists have yet to find-but we are one step closer to a real cure for bad breath.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1252216
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Sadman,
I admire your persistence in doing research into the microbiological aspects of this problem. Targeting specific bacteria like Solobacterium Moorei while leaving harmless bacteria alone would be a great advancement. Of course a mouthwash that could do that would also have to target all the other anaerobic bacteria in the mouth that are producing the volatile sulphur compounds.
However, while this might help most of us, it would still not be a cure. The reason is one sentence in your article:

"It's never been clear why the various species do better in some mouths than in others."

If the anaerobes are present in everyone's mouth, there must be a reason why "normal" people have an oral ecology that automatically keeps the anaerobes in check, and we don't. A targeted mouthwash would probably help us, but only as long as we rinse every day. If we stopped, the anaerobes would most likely proliferate. So that would most likely not be an actual cure.

I would like to know: What is it that other people have that we bad breath sufferers are lacking. My suspicion has always been that we have an immune deficiency in our saliva, because it is known that "normal" saliva contains antibacterial substances. Halitosisux will disagree with me on that, and I may of course be wrong, but I still have my suspicion.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Phantasist, you may well be right, but it just seems very hard to believe that something is missing in saliva that simply hasn't yet been discovered. A relatively simple matter of taking two different samples of saliva and comparing the differences.
Considering also the fact that components of saliva that are known to play an (anti)microbial role are known about and well understood, it just seems so unlikely.

This may now sound contracdictory, but I think that if saliva has anything to do with it, it's more likely to be something in the saliva that shouldn't normally be there, as opposed to something missing. Things that would provide more nutrients to bacteria than normal for example.

The ecology that would normally keep a mouth from smelling foul isn't that complex. An good analogy is to look at a biologically filtered fish tank. In such a filter, you have an area where bacterial growth is promoted on specially shaped stones. You have a pump that oxygenates water and feeds it over these stones. The bacteria consume the waste products contained in that water that the fish constantly produce and there is absolutely zero odour when everything is working properly. But if you just have one small thing wrong in that cycle, then things very quickly start to smell bad. Examples are, overfeeding, too many fish in the tank, coarse filtration blocking up, decomposing matter and dirt buildup, not enough water flow for whatever reason, microbial disturbances (which always settle down once the source of the disturbance has been dealt with) fish diseases or illnesses. I know this is not the same process that goes on in the mouth, but it's an example of an ecology that is quite complex as a whole, but is made up of some very simple individual understandable sections, each one being vital to the process and cycle. When everything is working correctly, the type of bacteria that colonize is determined purely by the ecology that has been provided.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

@ Halitosisux

Well, I was right about at least one thing: You disagree with me.

But your fish tank analogy tells us that if one little thing goes wrong in the ecological system, bad odors will appear. If this is true in the oral ecology, which I believe is your point, then some little disturbance of the bacterial balance will produce offensive odors. This could also be true, just like the salivary deficiency could be true, but if it is true, then targeting a specific anaerobic bacterium (or even a number of them) wouldn't do any good because imbalance that produced the overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria would still be present.

As long as we don't know what caused the microbial imbalance in the first place, we still don't have an actual cure. We can probably determine what went wrong in the fish tank, but how do we find out what is causing the imbalance in the mouth? Since saliva is constantly present in the mouth, wouldn't it be a logical area to investigate?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I understand what you are saying there. And as Aydinmur has explained to us, that any type of bacteria can become odorogenic. But as we also know, it's mainly certain types of bacteria that are involved in bad breath. So maybe if these types of bacteria can be selectively targeted, it can lead to a manageable reduction in odour production.

I agree that it would be logical to investigate whether there's a difference to the saliva in those suffering with type-1 BB. We must remember that the simplistic analogy with a fish tank filtration system did not take into account the fact that we have evolved an immune system that works side by side with whatever ecological systems that have evolved and developed within our body. You may be right, and that even just the smallest difference in a person's immune system can be all it takes to cause bad breath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic