Your Email Address:

First Name:

ALUM

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
searching
Master
ALUM

Post by searching »

Trace amounts of ALUM, orally contacted then expelled, have eliminated my bb symptoms for periods of a day or more. I therefore believe my bb is oral, not digestive or systemic.

Caution, ALUM can burn if applied to mucus membranes at too high a concentration.

I am not a physician. What I report below is simply my personal observation, using myself as the subject.

ALUM is a family of salts, among them is aluminum, magnesium, potassium sulfate, the product of aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide neutralized with sulfuric acid. Note: table salt, i.e. sodium chloride, is sodium hydroxide neutralized with hydrochloric acid; that is a strong base neutralized with a strong acid.

Alum is used is cooking, for example crisping cucumbers in preparation for pickling (see: http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6408).

Alum is used as underarm deodorant, sold as deodorant stick or deodorant crystal for application to the skin (see: http://www.onlineallergyrelief.com/pers ... /alum.html or www.deodorantstones.com/potassiumalum.ivnu). This should not be confused with underarm antiperspirants, containing alumiunum chlorhydrate.

Burnt Alum has been reported as a dentifrice before the age of modern toothpastes…so I gave it a try.

I purchased a small container of food grade ALUM from the spices section of my local supermarket.

I applied a tiny amount of ALUM, i.e. approximately 1/32 teaspoon (yes, 1/32 teaspoon), to a wetted toothbrush and brushed all surfaces of my mouth, i.e. teeth, gums, and tongue. Alum is a strong astringent and within seconds all traces of mucus lubrication were gone. I do not know if this is good? I then spit out the material, and rinsed and rinsed without ingesting.

The bb was eliminated and remained gone for 24 hours. It took 2 days before my tooth enamel regained a slick mucosal biofilm.

Within minutes, following this treatment, the taste in my mouth attained a fresh, neutral, non-sour quality that I do not recall ever fully having before. My tongue is pink. I have my tonsils, and have had tonsil stones in the past, but not lately.

A small amount of ALUM dissolved in water, then swished orally and expelled, stripped all biofilm away in a few seconds.

I did this only as a test to discern oral versus systemic source of bb. The ALUM is a powerful antimicrobial, quite possibly too harsh for continuous use.

A medical or dental professional would have to comment on the long-lasting effects to enamel and soft tissue.
Last edited by searching on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

lastone69
Junior

Post by lastone69 »

What made u try this?
searching
Master
Post by searching »

I tried it after reading about methods of oral hygiene before the modern era. The material was in a food aisle at the market, so I tried it, but not planning to use it routinely.
cindyscursed

Post by cindyscursed »

I have been using the deodorant crystal for ages! This crystal stone really works for me as I always have sweaty and stinky underarms. This thing can last for up to 2 days, my uderarms still sweat but they never stink!

I was always wondering if I could dissolve the stone and drink it... since it was made of natural mineral salt(as stated on the label) but was scared if it's toxic.
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

Thanks again searching,

every time you post it worths it!!!!

Who can contact to see if this is dangerous in long terms???

maybe yehuda jimi??

Arun, do you have any professor or doctor that you can ask??
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Alum is an effective antimicrobial as it rapidly coagulates protein. It is also an effective astringent. I occasionally add 1/32 teaspoon of alum to the 700mls. of water used for oral irrigation, after regular brushing and flossing.

This is the most-effective step in removing oral biofilm I’ve used. In two (2) minutes time, with this at-home treatment, my mouth feels as if it received 30 minutes care from a dental hygienist.

Alum has been used for centuries for oral hygiene. It is a salt composed of potassium aluminum sulfate. I bought it in the spices section of my local grocery store.

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Herbs ... /Alum.aspx
girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

I think this is worth a try. I will research a little more to see if I can come up with anymore information. Thanks searching...very interesting!
girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

Info on Alum...

Use alum and salt mixture as part of your daily morning cleansing
routine. This mixture is used to cleanse the mouth and tongue, not only
for whiter teeth, but for your health, too! There is a yoga recipe for oral
hygiene: take two parts powered Potassium Alum mixed with one part
salt and use like a tooth powder to brush your teeth and more important
your tongue!
http://www.anahatabalance.com/yogalifes ... _salt.html
hope4now
Master
Post by hope4now »

Interesting. Thanks searching. I might give it a try.

I found a number of studies that show it reduces dental plaque and bacteria in the mouth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9796505

My only concern is the aluminum content, which is not supposed to be good for the brain.
Last edited by hope4now on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
kite

Post by kite »

Searching.. thanks for this info.
could you please let me know how often you do use the alum, water mix. Have you been BB free using this ( even though temp) since your last post in 2008.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

kite,

Nowadays I’m usually able to manage BB with ordinary tooth brushing, flossing, and with oral irrigation using plain water.

When I sense the need, I use alum in oral irrigation about once or twice monthly, some months less frequently.

When applied using oral irrigation, the jetted solution is far-reaching and deep-cleaning. The result is fast, inexpensive, and not too unpleasant a taste. It can, however, be harsh if applied too liberally.

I haven’t determined the low-level alum dosage that would permit daily usage. I’m not certain I have the capability of dispensing the small, requisite amount each day to balance an ideal oral environment.

Nevertheless, my metabolic/immune system seems to have an above-average need for some level of assistance provided by an antimicrobial agent. I’m working to apply that agent in limited amounts.
girlie girl
Advanced

Post by girlie girl »

Ok, it's true for me that the Alum leaves your mouth clear of the slimy feel it has, but it has done anything for my breath! I love using it though...it just at least makes my mouth feel super clean! Maybe my problem is not oral, but instead more gastric related. I truly believe I have Silent Reflux. I have been using Zantac, but haven't seen results with that either. I don't believe I have TMAU, no other odor problems. Just so tired of trying something and it never works...UGH!
searching
Master
Post by searching »

I travel with a small container of alum. It's more portable than an oral irrigator.

For me, brushing with it occasionally is very effective. It rapidly strips all biofilm from teeth, gums, and tongue. It’s inexpensive, used in food preparation, e.g. pickling, and available in the grocery store, spice section.

http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Fla ... pices/Alum
momoko13
Total Newbie

Post by momoko13 »

In my country, alum is called tawas. A lot of the people here use it as a deodorant as it cheap plus they say it whitens the armpit. I think it is also used as a remedy to canker sores. There's even a toothpaste that has tawas in it.
I wonder if it's the same alum that is being sold here as the deodorant. I always see them in crystal form. And really cheap... Will try this one hopefully it will work for me :)
oneday4800
Advanced
Post by oneday4800 »

What kind?powder or what? I wanna try it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic