Your Email Address:

First Name:

Oral malodor reduction by a palatal mucoadhesive table...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Help

Oral malodor reduction by a palatal mucoadhesive table...

Post by Help »

Oral malodor reduction by a palatal mucoadhesive table containing herbal formulation

Abstract

Objective:

The aim of the present study was to test the effect of a palatal mucoadhesive tablet containing an herbal formulation on oral malodor production and volatile sulfide compound (VSC) levels, and to evaluate its antimicrobial activity.

Methods:

A total of 56 healthy young volunteers participated in experiments 1 and 2. The palatal adhesive tablets were prepared with different active ingredients (herbal formulation, zinc and chlorhexidine), or without an active ingredient as control (placebo). Measurement included odor judge scores (two judges) and VSC readings by a sulfide monitor (Halimeter®). In experiment 3, the antimicrobial activity of the herbal formulation ingredients (i.e. sage, Echinacea, Lavender and Mastic gum) were tested against three oral pathogens (Streptoccocus mutans, Porphyromonas gingivalis and Candida albicans) by the agar diffusion test.

Results:

Application of the palatal adhesive tablets containing herbal formulation resulted in a significant reduction in both oral malodor scores (p<0.001) and VSC levels (p=0.013). Herbal formulation showed higher significance in VSC reduction (p=0.001), as compared to zinc and chlorhexidine (p=0.024 and 0.032, respectively). Sage, Lavender and Mastic gum showed antimicrobial activity against all three oral pathogens.

Conclusions:

Results of the present study suggest that the palatal adhesive tablets containing herbal formulation may serve as an effective means of treatment for patients complaining of oral malodor.

Sterer, N.; Nuas, S.; Mizrahi, B.; Goldenberg, C.; Weiss, E.I.; Domb, A.; Davidi, M.P.
Last edited by Help on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Just think.. if someone could invent a simple delivery system, such as a tiny container which attaches to the teeth for instance, like a small brace, in which each day you replace a small long-lasting tablet of active ingredient containing these herbs or whatever safe chemicals to control bacteria and the compounds they produce.

Because the system will work constantly rather than in a short time trying to blitz everything like toothpastes or mouthwashes claim to do in an absolutely futile way for those with chronic halitosis. With ONE SINGLE bacteria becoming billions within hours of exponential reproduction, what hope in hell do any current systems have of giving anyone relief.

I've mentioned something like this before to a few people on here. People may laugh, but i know if this could work it would be a release from the hell no matter what someone would have to wear inside their mouth. People wear braces just to straighten their teeth, so why not to free themselves from hell.

And i know this is unlikely to help anyone with nasal or lung sources of odour.

Simple f**king bacteria is destroying so many lives, there has to be a lateral way like this of dealing with this. If someone knows a lot about these herbs and has access to the assistance of a dentist to construct a brace or whatever, we could even develop it ourselves together on this site, it shouldnt be too difficult to make.

If chewing gum could do the same thing, it's still not the answer because gum is unacceptable in intimate or professional situations. Maybe if some adhesive tablet/capsule which sticks to some part of the mouth could be developed that could work too.

Its similar to taking antibiotics, but instead would be safer and because it may only need to reduce bacterial levels rather than obliterate them all over the body, there wont be the same side effects associated with antibiotics. Antibiotics can be so effective on BB because they are CONSTANTLY acting on oral bacteria, and so too could this system. An antibacterial will have a broader spectrum than any antibiotics too so will be even more effective than any antibiotics could ever be on BB.[/list]
halihope
Master

Post by halihope »

By healthy does it mean volunteers who do not suffer from cronic bb? I am not a very healthy person but many of you are in excellent health so you would be excellent volunteers to see if this stuff works! Why not contact that place and challenge them to use healthy volunteers suffering from cronic bb. It would be very interesting to see those results. :lol:
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

fact is that everyone produces a certain level of VSCs in their mouth, so you'd expect even in the worst cases it should also help. I'd guess its possible to have different strength tablets depending in the reduction required.

I'm quite amazed at the lack of response really, maybe i should have mentioned the potential effect on candida or bowel flora or colon cleansing then people would have become interested.

weird
thf
Junior

Post by thf »

That's really interesting, can you tell a little more about who did the study... hospital, independent group. A very good question was asked why did they use only unhealthly ppl and how would this treatment effect those of us in good health.
Help

Post by Help »

Authors: Sterer, N.; Nuas, S.; Mizrahi, B.; Goldenberg, C.; Weiss, E.I.; Domb, A.; Davidi, M.P.

Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel. [email protected]

Vol:36, Issue:7
July, 2008

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18468761
Help

Post by Help »

thf wrote:That's really interesting, can you tell a little more about who did the study... hospital, independent group. A very good question was asked why did they use only unhealthly ppl and how would this treatment effect those of us in good health.
I`m sorry I do not know the answer to the question, I stumbled upon the article online as I was doing some research :-k
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic